OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The call that started it all..........

Started by Yoder409, October 30, 2022, 06:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungGobbler

Yoder, what kind of sound those that make?

Yoder409

Pretty much, any sound a turkey makes.  Clucks, yelps, cutts, kee-kee, gobble......
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

GobbleNut

Yoder, your first hunt story with that call reminded me of my own story from one of my first spring hunts. I think I was thirteen (back around 1964 or so).  My dad had given me my first scratch-box call made by somebody from that era (I think it may have been called "The Super Yelper") and dropped me off one afternoon at the bottom of a canyon that we knew reliably held turkeys.

I/we didn't know squat about turkey hunting, but I walked up the canyon a ways, sat down randomly in a spot, and started trying to make yelps on the call.  Every few minutes I would scratch out a few yelps, apparently roughly sounding like a turkey. I don't remember how long I sat there and called...couldn't have been very long considering the patience of a thirteen-year-old...but, all of a sudden a gobble rang out up the hill behind me...a very close gobble as I recall.

Being the young, novice, "would-be" turkey hunter I was, my first reaction was just to jump up, turn around, and run up the hill looking for the gobbler, thinking he was close enough I would just be able to shoot him.  Suffice it to say, that choice was a poor one.   ;D  :D

Fortunately, my turkey hunting tactics have improved a little over the years...   ;D  :)

mountainhunter1

Awesome story - thanks for sharing. Especially the second conversation where your "throw away" call was a big success and they were "only oh so close with all their extra "professionalism." We all have a friend or a brother like that, and I would not have it any other way. A little friendly ragging from a partner in crime makes it all the better for me. The older I get, fellowship is more and more becoming the better reward, even more so than a turkey over the shoulder on the way back to the truck.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13