OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Avian Pox?

Started by Spring Creek Calls, September 24, 2022, 11:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

My daughter took this picture of a hen while on her pipeline inspection. Her head is covered in lesions that look to be Avian pox. She was standing in the middle of the road but Olivia was able to prod her to move off the road.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

WV Flopper

Crazy/Sad picture!!!

I am ignorant to the POX, we have so much commercial poultry farming in my home county it isn't funny. Was touted as "Poultry capital of WV", not sure that is something to be proud of but it is what it is. I have never seen that, or heard of it either.

Vary Sad.

ChesterCopperpot

Honestly hard to say without a biopsy/autopsy. Had a bird fall over dead a couple years back. Looked like pox. State wrote it off as pox. Dr. Chamberlain had the bird shipped to Georgia and it was LPDV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoot 000

It looks like it they'll start off as POS t u l e s then rupture and become scaly, this one was in Mississippi where I hunt.Some believe that lpdv might be linked to avian pox but that remains inconclusive.

vthokie7227

I literally walked into a tom with avian pox 2 years ago in Kansas while quail hunting. He was hidden in a bunch of tall grass we were trying to flush. He was on his last leg and just slowly waddled away. I called our KDWPT Biologist about it and he said, at the time, it was the first reported case he had heard about in our area. He followed up with me a few days later and said he had went out to where I reported the bird and was able to find it again and put it down.

Hook hanger

Have seen Kansas and Nebraska birds that have had pox all in last 3 years.

Sir-diealot

I have a friend that I've had discussions with and we are both wondering if the more recent spreading of chicken and particularly turkey manure maybe giving them some of these diseases that they might otherwise not be exposed to by pig or cow manure? I have no scientific proof for it but it does seem since it started becoming more popular that it's really increased.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

turkeykiller41

Saw 2 with it ,south cherokee wma in south east Tennessee.