OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How Long?

Started by Neill_Prater, August 20, 2022, 10:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

I'm curious. For those of you that hunt other states, what is the average number of days you spend in each state. Thanks

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TonyTurk

I don't get a lot of days to hunt due to work and family commitments.

Usually 3-4 days in Oklahoma and 2-3 in Texas.  Almost exclusively private land. 

GobbleNut

Great question!

Prefacing by stating that most all of my hunting is on public land, I generally plan on giving any new location I am going to hunt three mornings minimum.  I also try to have alternatives in terms of other locations or other states to hunt in case the chosen location either turns out to be a bust, or if I am quickly successful.  In addition to those three days hunting, I also like to get in a full day of scouting prior to hunting if possible, assuming I am hitting the location at the start of the season. 

If I am fortunate enough to hit a place when it is "right", I figure I can kill a gobbler within three days (assuming I can shoot straight, which most recently has been a problem   ;D ). 

On the other hand, I am pretty quick to move on to another spot if a location is not "right".  By "right", I mean that there are at least some gobblers that are vocal (I will readily admit that I am not into hunting silent gobblers).  Other reasons that will make me move on may be because there just are not enough birds there, or there are too many other hunters around for my liking.  All in all, even though I have on rare occasions stayed longer in a single location, three days of hunting in one spot seems to be about right for me. 

Tail Feathers

Did 8 days in Fl last year.  But usually it's less.  Four or five if I still have a tag left. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

Somewhere between 2 and 5...........depending on how suicidal the birds are being.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Dtrkyman

I expect to kill a bird in a few days with good conditions, poor conditions and it takes what it takes, I normally try not to have a time limit and have trouble leaving until I can close the deal!

After several seasons of just mowing birds down the last two have had some humbling experiences for sure!

Sometimes they come easy sometimes not, I will take however they come!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Wigsplitter

Tom007

All depends on the action I am having. If the gobbling is good, I stay till I tag em.

Crghss

If I'm flying a week, driving 3-4 day. Need to travel more, thats for sure.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

RutnNStrutn

Actually hunting? 3 to 5 days on average.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

jhoward11

Approx, 5 days. Like to throw in some fishing/golfing in those states that you can only hunt till 1. Maybe when I retire, I'll do less time and more states:)

zelmo1

5ish. It depends on my home state. My wife and kids are priority 1 at home. Z

Kygobblergetter

If it's a planned trip usually 3-5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowboy

Last season, 4 or 5 days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk