OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

killing jakes

Started by outlaw, June 16, 2011, 01:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountman62

If we keep this post going , we can give GobblerD a chance to change his mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :groupwave: :groupwave: :groupwave: :groupwave:
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

saint

outlaw came in and  said  they wont let him login anymore thats not right

doepee

Quote from: saint on June 17, 2011, 12:30:19 PM
outlaw came in and  said  they wont let him login anymore thats not right

What??? for real?

mountman62

that's for them dead horse thread starters, but i hope he can get back on
It's not a passion, It's an OBSESSION

[img][img]

Borat

Quote from: gobblerD on June 17, 2011, 09:16:49 AM
Reasons to not kill Jakes:

They still have egg tooth on beak.
They will be older next year.
They are NOT a challenge.
They don't eat as good as a Piggly Wiggly Turkey for $10.00.
You can't brag about it to your friends.
You send wrong message to youngins
If you shoot alot of them you might start shooting poults
If you shoot the Jake you won't be able to call in anything else the rest of the season. ;D

Reasons to kill Jakes:

You can make a jake nub neckless out of their spurs.
You can limit out every year the first morning.
you can have a user name "Jakeanator"
You can go for your Jake Grand Slam!
You can get a Jake mount for your trophy room.
Outfitters can offer a weekend Jake special.
Jakes are the only Turkey you can accurately age ;D

I vote GobblerD for being the OG Entertainer of the Year

Borat

Quote from: LaBiologist on June 16, 2011, 06:12:42 PM
I could care less what anyone on here thinks (good or bad), I will kill a jake if legal.  I think a 6 month old deer is very tender and tasty.  I will kill what i please, that is legal, and to me it will be a trophy.  Trophy hunters to me are what is wrong with this sport!

If it is your property and you say no jakes, I will oblige.  On my property or public property..... Gobble like a man, Die like a man.

Just a quick point of clarity for the "biologist"?  Jakes do not gobble like men.  Although I'll agree that occasionally I've called in and walked a Jake that sounded like a gobbler, the majority of them have a distinct and very identifiable gobble.  So again, it does not sound like a man.  In fact, it sounds like an idiot.  

JUGHEAD

Quote from: 2ounce6s on June 17, 2011, 01:52:35 PMI've called in quite a few jakes that gobbled "like a man"
I'm relatively new to turkey hunting, but the exact same thing happened to me this year while on a hunt with my veteran pal who helped me get started.  He had 2 longbeards working to him 2 days before and a guy ran them off on a 4 wheeler.  2 days later, we get on 2 gobbling "toms" in the same vicinity gobbling like crazy....didn't sound a bit different than the longbeards we fooled with this year.  He called them in, saw them before I did and realized they were jakes, and didn't tell me any different as I smoked one of them's heads (all I could see) at about 30 yards.  Not until he saw them, did he realize they were jakes.  I never knew the difference til we walked up to my bird. 

OldHen

JUST an FYI update....
Outlaw and Saint were the same person...

we took care of that.....

Annie

JUGHEAD

Quote from: 2ounce6s on June 17, 2011, 02:16:51 PMCongrats on a great hunt bud! I bet the old thumper was a beating pretty hard wasn't it? That's what it's all about really.
I ended up calling up and killing 2 longbeards by myself as well as the jake kill.  The thumper was in full swing on every single one...not a bit of difference in the thrill of the hunt.  All 3 encounters were like what I imagine crack cocaine would be like.

stinkpickle

Quote from: OldHen on June 17, 2011, 02:24:15 PM
JUST an FYI update....

Annie

You tore him in half???   :TooFunny:

Hognutz

Quote from: mnturkey on June 17, 2011, 09:50:24 AM
Quote from: timbrhuntr on June 16, 2011, 07:09:47 PM
I suppose all you jake killers wouldn't be opposed to whacking a few baldies either  ::) .

I have thought about shooting a Bald Eagle but I have seen what they eat and I am sure they taste like fish and week old dead deer.

Bald Eagle is fishy tasting, but not nearly as bad as Great Blue Heron or Osprey. Now if you want good eats, go straight to the Whooping Crane. BBQ'ed or deep fried. It don't matter which..Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

vaturkey

Quote from: 2ounce6s on June 17, 2011, 01:52:35 PM
Getting off subject but that's the fun of a thread like this so here goes.....

I've called in quite a few jakes that gobbled "like a man". At least one or two each and every season. Turkey hunted a while now and I've come to the conclusion I cannot always determine if it's a jake gobble or a adult tom gobbling. Just been fooled way to many times. Sometimes even the reverse has been true. These are two of three birds that came in behind me as I called to what I thought was a dominant loud deep gobbling tom out in front of me this past season. I was convinced they were a group of jakes I'd passed on a week before at the same location due to their "distinct" gobbles. Both had 1 1/16" spurs if that means anything.  ::)

2ounce6's 

Great pic of 2 nice gobblers !! 

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

guesswho

Quote from: OldHen on June 17, 2011, 02:24:15 PM
JUST an FYI update....

Annie
I told some folks the other night via pm's I thought they were one and the same.  They both had that same distinct gooble.  It's hard to hide.................never mind, I won't go there.  He should have deleted those two screen names and went with Taint.  Taint Outlaw, and Taint Saint.

Oh, and Jakes are for Rookie's and part timers! ;D  J/K  If a Jake makes you happy then I'm happy for ya!   Just have fun.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

timbrhuntr

Quote from: Hognutz on June 17, 2011, 03:06:10 PM
Quote from: mnturkey on June 17, 2011, 09:50:24 AM
Quote from: timbrhuntr on June 16, 2011, 07:09:47 PM
I suppose all you jake killers wouldn't be opposed to whacking a few baldies either  ::) .

I have thought about shooting a Bald Eagle but I have seen what they eat and I am sure they taste like fish and week old dead deer.

Bald Eagle is fishy tasting, but not nearly as bad as Great Blue Heron or Osprey. Now if you want good eats, go straight to the Whooping Crane. BBQ'ed or deep fried. It don't matter which..Mike

Sorry for the misconception but where I hunt they call doe's baldies because they don't have anything on their heads like antlers.

I guess that one went over like the proverbial lead ballon.

trackerbucky

As long as it's legal then there's no reason someone shouldn't shoot a jake if they want to.  Lots of 2 year olds are no smarter than a jake, especially early in the season.

Part of the problem with our sport is that it's becoming nothing more than yachting with a shotgun.  Whoever spends the most money wins.  Who's a better hunter, the guy who shoots a jake on public land or the guy who pays $6,000 for a grand slam where the only skill involved is being able to walk to the preset blind where some guide has roosted a gobbler that hasn't heard a call all year and shoooting him after he runs in and stands next to your decoy?
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.