OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

OPINIONS PLEASE...GOBBLER DOWN

Started by sswv, July 28, 2022, 03:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswv

spent some time today on the new bench with the H&R. with the POA/POI dialed in close up with light loads I did some shooting. I shot at 40 yards (checked with a Leupold rangefinder), all ammo was Winchester LB XR #6s in 3". I tried 5 different chokes and can honestly say all were plenty good enough to hunt with but, two stood out in the H&R over the rest. all patterns looked pretty much the same but here are a few I really liked. the LEFT and RIGHT patterns were with a brand new Carlson's Longbeard choke and the one in the MIDDLE was an Undertaker XT. pellets in the 10" circle averaged 200 and seem to be pretty even. I'm leaning towards the Undertaker XT myself.

sswv

I'll get a pic or two of my re-built H&R up in a day or two. 

sswv

the 'ol H&R 12ga is finally ready for the woods with it's new modifications.  the question now is....how should I dull that gloss black choke tube? I was thinking camo tape and cutting out the holes or just paint it. here's a look along with my new Stevens 301 20ga compact. need to try a couple more chokes in it but so far it's pretty good with the LB #6's.

RED NECK

Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

sswv

well, my H&R project turkey gun has come full circle.  I'm very happy with the end result (I don't think the gobbler is). I don't keep the sling on when hunting but it's sure handy when it comes to toting out a dead bird.  now it's time to focus on the next project. a Stevens 301 20ga compact. so far the front bead has been replaced with a white ivory Bradly and it's been drilled and tapped for a scope base.

Lone Star Eastern

Quote from: sswv on May 15, 2023, 02:55:30 PM
well, my H&R project turkey gun has come full circle.  I'm very happy with the end result (I don't think the gobbler is). I don't keep the sling on when hunting but it's sure handy when it comes to toting out a dead bird.  now it's time to focus on the next project. a Stevens 301 20ga compact. so far the front bead has been replaced with a white ivory Bradly and it's been drilled and tapped for a scope base.
Where did you get the strap? I recently refurbished an old NEF Pardner 20 ga I'm wanting to add a strap like this to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sswv

hey LSE. a good friend gave me that strap a while back. only one I've ever seen like it. it's as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Farmboy27

I've never been a fan of single shots. When everything goes right, they're perfect. When everything goes wrong, not so much!  Sooner or later if you hunt enough things are going to happen that you can't explain or control. I feel an extra little bit of weight is worth it for an extra round or two in the gun. A miss sucks, but I can shake it off pretty easily. A crippled animal that gets away because I chose light weight over having a back up shot, that's the kind of thing that would haunt me!  In my years of hunting turkey it has only happened a few times. But I was mighty happy for the second shot when it did!!

sswv

I understand what you're saying Farmboy27 but, I've been doing this close to 50 years and I don't shoot unless I know it's a done deal. I've killed plenty gobblers in my time and I have no interest in just letting pellets fly in hopes that one hits a sweet spot for the sake of saying I killed one. I do not have to carry a gobbler out to say I've had a good day. Heck, last season I never fired a shot and had one of the best seasons I'd ever had. You get them inside 30 yards and you've won whether you shoot or not.

Yoder409

Quote from: sswv on June 04, 2023, 07:02:03 PM
I understand what you're saying Farmboy27 but, I've been doing this close to 50 years and I don't shoot unless I know it's a done deal. I've killed plenty gobblers in my time and I have no interest in just letting pellets fly in hopes that one hits a sweet spot for the sake of saying I killed one. I do not have to carry a gobbler out to say I've had a good day. Heck, last season I never fired a shot and had one of the best seasons I'd ever had. You get them inside 30 yards and you've won whether you shoot or not.

Good post.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.