turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NWTF vs others

Started by lunghit, July 05, 2022, 08:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lunghit

I just read another thread that has me second guessing my membership renewal in the NWTF. Are there better organizations out there that do more for your money. Turkeys for Tomorrow looks pretty good.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Cowboy

Not sure about other organizations,  but the Board members for TFT are definitely turkey hunters. I haven't renewed my NWTF  yet either. Having doubts I think.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sixbird

NWTF has political clout and credibility with state fish and wildlife agencies and have built networks to navigate through these state and federal bureaucracies.
They fund restoration of hunting land (seed, burn funding, disturbance) and studies on population dynamics. This stuff isn't cheap.
They pretty much singlehandedly restored turkeys in a lot of states, including mine (N.J.).
They work legislatively both nationally and locally.
I'm not giving up on them!
I hear criticism but I hardly ever hear about the great work they do/have done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mossberg90MN

I'm just a member of both organizations NWTF and TFT. Bought the Mossy Oak stamp too...

I do agree... the name carries a lot of clout, and that's worth something when it comes to some of the larger projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dzsmith

all i know is regardless of your feelings towards the NWTF, and most are well earned. They do fund projects...as to whether or not more could be funded, etc...they do indeed do it. One of the projects TFT was talking about recently was also being NWTF funded. I see no reason to dump one for the other. If you want information about the turkey, and want to read about ongoing projects ....join or stay in both.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

lunghit

Quote from: dzsmith on July 06, 2022, 09:03:40 PM
all i know is regardless of your feelings towards the NWTF, and most are well earned. They do fund projects...as to whether or not more could be funded, etc...they do indeed do it. One of the projects TFT was talking about recently was also being NWTF funded. I see no reason to dump one for the other. If you want information about the turkey, and want to read about ongoing projects ....join or stay in both.
That's exactly what I am going to do. I'll stay in NWTF and joint TFT also. It's the least I can do to support these awesome birds.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

mikejd

As these organizations grow in size there is always going to be some things that members won't like. Regardless of how you feel
About that other stuff the small price we pay to be a member is worth the good things they accomplish. I am a member of both TFT and NWTF.

Gooserbat

TFT is trying very hard.  I spoke with Ron Jolly last week and there will be a Gooserbat call package up for grabs before long.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Gooserbat on July 07, 2022, 09:42:02 AM
TFT is trying very hard.  I spoke with Ron Jolly last week and there will be a Gooserbat call package up for grabs before long.

Another fine gesture from Sam Pharr and Gooserbat!   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Greg Massey

I look back and remember, the good these organizations have done in the past like NWTF, right or wrong i think if not for them , what would we have done without them. I think if not for them through the years we wouldn't have the great success we have all enjoyed in hunting these gobblers. Sure we have problems now , but some of these problems I think are our own doing.  TFT i would like to see an organizational chart or who's leading this new organization, and what states they are from and where are these projects taking place they have ongoing now.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Greg Massey on July 07, 2022, 12:01:38 PM
I look back and remember, the good these organizations have done in the past like NWTF, right or wrong i think if not for them , what would we have done without them. I think if not for them through the years we wouldn't have the great success we have all enjoyed in hunting these gobblers. Sure we have problems now , but some of these problems I think are our own doing.  TFT i would like to see an organizational chart or who's leading this new organization, and what states they are from and where are these projects taking place they have ongoing now.
I met author and turkey biologist Jim Spencer last year and he is one of the founders.   He said the main goal is turkeys and the preservation and restoration. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Tail Feathers

Their mission statement.
The officers and board of directors of Turkeys For Tomorrow (TFT) will work diligently with cooperating state wildlife agencies, university professors and students, wildlife professionals, and hunters to identify the most pressing issues facing wild turkey populations while working to preserve time-honored turkey hunting traditions. TFT will rely on the aforementioned partners for input to determine where funding is most needed. Once a project is chosen and the funding amount determined TFT, will apply those funds to that project during the year in which the project is started and each subsequent year thereafter as needed when funds become available as determined by the TFT board. The chosen agency or agencies can only spend TFT funds on that project. Agencies receiving TFT funds will be asked to apply matching funds and report results to the TFT board of directors. Agencies receiving TFT funds will be required to provide a written, itemized account of how and where the funds were spent and report the progress of the project to the TFT board of directors so we can issue progress reports to our contributors.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Crghss

I've been hoping for more movement from TFT but haven't seen much. Will support NWTF as they did a lot of good things for a long time in PA when I was there.

I believe TFT has good intentions from good people but Reality is harder then most anticipate.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Jim K

I've been a member of NWTF for years. I joined TFT last year. I got a window sticker in the mail from them. That's the last I heard anything from them until they joined on here recently. The other day I finally got an email from them.

They're going to need to step up their communication with their members if they're going to stay afloat. I will probably renew with them one more year but if it doesn't improve......

RutnNStrutn

Here's my take, and that's all it is, my opinion. I used to be a member of the NWTF, DU, etc. They all start out good, but money corrupts. Once they get the clout, and start rolling in the dough, fancy, high dollar chairmen come in next. After that it goes to . These execs start spending on pet projects, and while they still fund public projects, minimally, most of their money goes to fat cats with deep pockets. All you have to do is watch the NWTF or DU TV shows. They're all about spending money on millionaires land so the execs of these orgs get to go hunting on them. Slowly the funding for public projects dwindles.
Similarly, the same thing is going on with the NRA. Wayne LaPierre and his fat cats are living like royalty off of membership dues and donations. I'm a life member and and an endowment member, but the NRA ain't getting another penny of my money until they dump LaPierre and his cronies, and right the sinking ship.
That's why I am no longer a member of the NWTF or DU as well.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk