OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bone, horn and ivory mouthpieces

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, June 11, 2022, 07:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Do the bone, horn and ivory mouthpieces add to the performance of a trumpet or are they mainly for novelty or aesthetics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

ChesterCopperpot

They do have a slightly different sound. Can really tell on a trumpet with interchangeable mouthpieces when you run bone or ivory in one then immediately move to another material in the same call. They play a bit softer than synthetics or metal, a little more dampened down if that makes sense. Some bone and antler can also have a tendency to dry on your lip. That said, yes, it's mainly aesthetics and value. Personally I really like buffalo horn and honey buffalo from a looks standpoint. I like them better than ivory. Got a moose antler recently that sounds really good. But outside looks, I like other materials better for sound, my favorites being delrin and brass.

ol bob

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tap.emtp

What about wood for a MP? Ol bob, do you think it makes a difference?

Meleagris gallopavo

I felt that they were mainly for novelty and aesthetics.  I usually go with whatever's cheapest and goes well with the rest of the trumpet.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

ol bob

Put it this way, the best trumpet player I've ever met, has a trumpet I made from all delrin, of all the trumpets he has he says it the best one he owns. and he has them with ivory, horn, wood and,maybe a few other things.

nitro

I have several all Delrin calls from Billy Buice.  They are money for sure from the sound standpoint. To my ears and the ears of quite a few folks and Gobblers who have heard them.
Royal Slam 2008

Zobo

Natural materials have an antiquated appeal that some folks love. I'm one of them, especially for turkey hunting calls where they seem particularly fitting.
     Now if I'm out on the middle of the Atlantic ocean chasing pelagic gamefish, I'm not using a stag fillet knife, cedar lures and a cork handled glass rod because I find them nostalgic.
     They all work though.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

EZ

As long as they play well, I don't care what they're made of.
As ol bob says, an all delrin call just has a pop and resonance that I really like.

tap.emtp

Good answer Zobo, I to love antiquated calls. It's the reason I got into call making. I just don't like anything plastic, especially if I can get an acceptable sound from wood , bone or horn. It's like putting those plastic tubes on a buck grunt, yeah it's more versatile and may even sound better but looks terrible. Just my 2 cents.

Chuck1443

I think of A Permar 45 , one of the best
Not an answer to your question sorry

2nd 100

I do like the exotic mp angle . I try is special to me growing up dreaming of hunting elephants . That's as close as I'm gona get to one I recon .
Acrylic  runs like a dream for me
But when it comes to me I have 2 Battey alpha hunters , I believe they are all delrin and they are as deadly as I own although most people hate on them because they are CNC turned ... the MP is by far my favorite of all time ..
And delrin is ALOT CHEAPER to experiment  with than ivory !

mmclain

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on June 11, 2022, 07:07:37 AM
Do the bone, horn and ivory mouthpieces add to the performance of a trumpet or are they mainly for novelty or aesthetics?

No. It really doesn't matter much  as long as it's solid material and is done correctly. Bone  compared  acrylic will be the same if thoroughly done .  Wood stems need to have some extra steps taken to ensure moisture doesn't swell the grain over time. 

paboxcall

I'm a big fan of the industrial amber. Its got the sound and the looks.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot