OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting Boots With Waterproofing and Breathability

Started by EricWHill, June 03, 2022, 03:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EricWHill

I am going to buy Crispi boots but not sure with brand will be good. I have only one option in my mind " Crispi" . Any other brad who have good waterproofing and breathability technology hunting boots?

Gooserbat

Black Ovis has a good selection of top tier boots.  I also tend to lean towards Crispi.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Remturkey

Dtrkyman

Crispi makes a fine boot, however they did not fit me properly.  Asolo is my go to, have a pair of 520 that have to be 8 or ten years old and still waterproof and solid.  A bit of stiff boot for most turkey hunting though, I use em when I know it is going to wet wet.

Otherwise I have a pair of lighter Asolo I wear most often, Sierr@  trading post has good pricing.

Tried Saloman, while they were super comfy I destroyed a pair in 7 months, they did warranty them, switched to their trail runner and they seem to be doing well, wore them quite a bit this spring.

I don't recommend buying new brands of boots online, need to go and try them on!

Gore Tex is still king of the "breathable" membrane.

Mossberg90MN

I got the Crispi Summit gtx and they are a nice boot, but they do get your feet hot. Other then that pretty pleased with them.

I tend to go back and fourth with rubber boots. Grange seems to be my go to, but depending on the terrain I will  bust  the crispis out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: Dtrkyman on June 03, 2022, 08:27:24 AM
Crispi makes a fine boot, however they did not fit me properly.  Asolo is my go to, have a pair of 520 that have to be 8 or ten years old and still waterproof and solid.  A bit of stiff boot for most turkey hunting though, I use em when I know it is going to wet wet.

Otherwise I have a pair of lighter Asolo I wear most often, Sierr@  trading post has good pricing.

Tried Saloman, while they were super comfy I destroyed a pair in 7 months, they did warranty them, switched to their trail runner and they seem to be doing well, wore them quite a bit this spring.

I don't recommend buying new brands of boots online, need to go and try them on!

Gore Tex is still king of the "breathable" membrane.

Yes, in all my experiences with boots, if it does not say "Goretex", it will leak!

rifleman

I bought a pair of Crispi Womings last fall and wore them maybe 3-4 time for deer season.  This spring I wanted to wear them to turkey hunt which was my real reason for buying them.  I used them for about 3 weeks of the season and they started to leak despite my cleaning and caring for them just as Crispi says to.  They have been with Crispi now for two weeks to see what they will do.  The boots are rugged enough but you must buy an aftermarket insole as Crispi's insole is not much more than cardboard.  My first attempt at higher teir boot and I am disappointed.

Greg Massey

It's like most things these days, they want a high dollar price for a throw away item...

Turkeybutt

Just don't go by name alone. One boot doesn't fit all styles of hunting.  Talk to people here in OG, ask questions and do some research!
Things to consider when buying a pair of hunting boots.
•   Comfort
•   Support
•   Insulation
•   Weight
•   Waterproof or not
•   Breathability
•   Traction Based on the terrain and the environment you hunt
•   Durability
•   Cost
•   Construction – I do a lot of walking so for me knee high rubber boots won't work for me. 
•   Warranty
•   Return Policies
Think about buying a boot ½ size larger than your normal size.  This is to accommodate for thick wool socks or doubling up on soaks to keep your feet warm. Your feet changes or gets bigger by at least a half size by the afternoon under normal hiking conditions.
Wear your new boots and give yourself plenty of break-in time before your hunting trip. Blisters on your feet from wearing new boots can and will ruin a hunt.
If you have a pair of "Lucky Socks" and they are paper thin toss them in the trash or maybe frame them and hang them in your den! Buy some new socks and take care of your feet.

falltoms

I'm hard on boots, I've tried so many brands over the years and 8 years now I've been wearing Kenetreks. They are expensive, but they are worth the money, the only downside is, they take awhile to break in. I'm on my 2 nd pair in 8 years, and I wear them alot. Take care of them with boot wax, and they will take care of you, if you wax them often, they will be completely waterproof

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Dtrkyman

Yeah the gore tex breathability is limited!   Waterproof boots are hot!

Turkeybutt

It is!
I should have typed Waterproof if not breathable which allows heat and moisture to exit your boot and allows for air circulation keeping your feet cool and also dry.

Dtrkyman

I have a pair of non waterproof trail runners for hot weather and dry conditions.