OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Want to Improve My Front End Sound - Can Call Design Achieve This?  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Earlybird31

I think my question was a little too specific and/or complicated so I'm pulling it. If I figure something out, I'll post it.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:32:01 AM by Earlybird31 »
Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think - Moliere

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Want to Improve My Front End Sound - Can Call Design Achieve This?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2022, 07:26:49 PM »
Been off hunting and hadn't been on to see your question here. Simple answer to the question asked:  Yes, call design is a very important factor.  If you come back on here and want a more elaborate explanation, let us know.   :icon_thumright:

Offline Earlybird31

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 01:54:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I figured everyone was in the woods. The question was a little too specific for a general question so I removed it. I also realized that there are a lot of knobs I can turn when putting my calls together, so I should probably work through some of that before getting too far into the weeds. The general point of my post was that I have a certain amount of "whistle" in my front end that doesn't always sound like a slate front end. The screen door sound so-to-speak. I've heard it replicated on mouth calls, but I haven't been able to do so. I'm only running variations of a ghost cut as I'm a center flow guy. It could be my technique or diaphragm or it could be the calls I'm using. I'm sure it's hard to kee kee on a split V. 

Hope y'all get one.     

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 10:51:22 PM »
If I was to make single suggestion that I personally feel is important in finding the sound you want, it would be to go through a cut progression with every call you make.  I have explained that process in prior posts, but basically it entails starting with single cuts in the primary (top) reed and trying the call before proceeding to the next cut. 

A lot of calls are based on the center V-cut and are modifications to that basic design.  By starting out with making only a single cut at a time and trying the call between each cut, I have found that I can generally find a cut combination that works well with just about any call I make,...and that cut combination can end up being anything from a single-angle cut all the way to the ghost cut, or the batwing,...or anything in between. 

Also, always remember that very small changes in the reed cuts can make a major difference in the sound of a call.  I suggest being very conservative in trimming reed cuts, reed edges, and depths of cuts when looking for that optimum sound you want in a call.   ...Hope this helps a little bit...  :icon_thumright:

Offline Earlybird31

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 10:03:00 AM »
I have paid close attention to your cut sequences and use them often when I don't space the reeds properly or if my cuts don't turn out like I planned. It definitely helps. For now, I'm working through the multitude of variables that impact sound (including my poor hand dexterity on cuts) to see what I can come up with. Thanks for the suggestions you provide.