OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What should I have done

Started by mountaineer long beard, May 16, 2022, 09:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejd

Agree with what others have said. You more then likely called to much before going silent. Have you ever seen a hot hen in the woods they are looking all over for a gobbler. I bet you got caught up in your calling as I have done plenty of times myself. I know you just want to hear another gobble. But in the 20 min you where calling he knew he should have seen a hen and just up an left. Thats what they do.Anyway sounds like you have him dialed in so good luck.

mountaineer long beard

Thanks for the comments on this guys I sincerely appreciate it. I tend to second guess myself a lot. Justifiably so in most cases as I rarely end up killing any turkeys.

I never had anybody to teach me to hunt turkeys so I've just been trying to learn as I go and it's been a long process. I just found this forum last year , I wish I would've known about it sooner.

Anyway thanks again

Mike

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

High plains drifter

I made a mistake the other day.I had 2 gobblers coming in hot, but there was a fence, and they hung up for a while,then they crossed the fence, and I had a 30 yard shot, but they  were  too close together. They had 2 hens in tow, and they crossed back over the fence. I think maybe I should have set up farther from the fence. I was only 10 feet from the fence.

Marc

I curse at turkeys more than anything else I hunt...

*I have done everything wrong, and still killed a bird.
*I have done (what I consider) everything correct, and not killed the bird.
*I have killed birds while trying to contemplate how to kill the bird, by pure happenstance.
*I have had birds come in on a string, and had extraordinarily bad luck prevent me from killing a bird.

As far as what I would have done...  Once a bird is hung up...  If he cannot see me, I make a move (often away from or parallel to the bird, and occasionally/infrequently towards him).  I figure about 50/50 that I will kill him or bump him, but once they are hung, I figure about 100% chance I will not kill him if I do not change the game.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.