Main Menu

I may regret this

Started by Sir-diealot, May 11, 2022, 10:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

Congrats Steve! Great pics..

Turkeybutt

Great Photos Steve. Thank you for sharing,
You hunt on your terms and be happy with your decisions and the accolades that come with it.
You and that bird will have another encounter, count on it!
If not, you already have had a better season then most people.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: eggshell on May 11, 2022, 11:57:31 AM
Taking guesswho's hat away from him and tipping it to you. Many years ago an old sage told me this, "son the fun ends when you pull the trigger". As a young man I didn't totally agree as the showing off my bird and bragging rights seemed part of it to me. Now it is rare anyone but my wife ever sees a bird in person and only a very small circle of friends get a texted picture, he was right about the fun all comes before we pull the trigger. So, as long as your having fun keep you determination and enjoy the ride.
Fun in all you do is the key for sure. I love both photography and hunting as well as wildlife so it is a lot of fun to combine them all. Other than here I really don't share my turkey hunting pictures if and when I get them, I am the only real turkey hunter among my group of friends (other than former landlords kids who's land I hunt) and I think they think I am nuts because I am so into it. They all want me to get into NASCAR and sorry going fast and turning left is just not my thing. Nothing wrong with it if you are into it but for me I would rather give myself a lobotomy with a hand cranked drill and a rusty spoon than watch it.

I am giving myself another handicap this year or so far this year as I am only using stuff I have made/assembled, 3 pots, some strikers and a box call all from kits. I did bring in a trumpet but I could tell I have not been practicing, I did get a tom to turn around and come back and look a few times, but I think he just wanted to sure I was not sick!

Quote from: Tom007 on May 11, 2022, 12:25:07 PM
Your decision to choose your trophy is as important as taking him. Good luck Steve, your having a great season....
Thanks bud, I will tell you I just went through some more pictures and that tom I posted the 2 pictures of up above had much better spurs than I realized, they are curling back quite a bit but I know that paintbrush is out there.

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 11, 2022, 01:37:17 PM
Nice pictures, agree hunt the way you want ...
Thanks Greg, hope yours is or did? go well too.

Quote from: 3bailey3 on May 11, 2022, 01:39:01 PM
Congrats Steve! Great pics..

Thank you very much.

Quote from: Turkeybutt on May 11, 2022, 02:58:16 PM
Great Photos Steve. Thank you for sharing,
You hunt on your terms and be happy with your decisions and the accolades that come with it.
You and that bird will have another encounter, count on it!
If not, you already have had a better season then most people.
Thank you. I have had a better season than the last 3! Last year I turned down 5 jakes on the last day of the season, (the only turkey I saw the entire season) I don't know if that is the reason but man I am seeing some nice birds this year. I sure hope I do see him again. I do have to be careful as I realized today when I was thinking of shooting that turkey that I have to be very careful of the blow back of my gun so it does not damage my camera, both will be towards the front of the blind and very close.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Marc

Great photos!

How many tags do you have left?

I have saved a tag for specific birds...  Kicked myself a couple of times for doing so...  But have also enjoyed emmense satisfaction with the success of "acquiring that target."

Now...  If I have more than one tag left, and a good bird comes in...  He is in trouble. ;D
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Marc on May 11, 2022, 03:37:33 PM
Great photos!

How many tags do you have left?

I have saved a tag for specific birds...  Kicked myself a couple of times for doing so...  But have also enjoyed emmense satisfaction with the success of "acquiring that target."

Now...  If I have more than one tag left, and a good bird comes in...  He is in trouble. ;D
Thank you very much. I still have them both and have until the 30th to use them but the truck will be getting a new bed put on it after this week so I will lose a few days there. It will and has been fun either way, it is nice just to get into the blind and sit there and breath the fresh air.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Kylongspur88

Taking guesswho's hat away from him and tipping it to you. Many years ago an old sage told me this, "son the fun ends when you pull the trigger". As a young man I didn't totally agree as the showing off my bird and bragging rights seemed part of it to me. Now it is rare anyone but my wife ever sees a bird in person and only a very small circle of friends get a texted picture, he was right about the fun all comes before we pull the trigger. So, as long as your having fun keep you determination and enjoy the ride.

This is where I'm at in my turkey hunting. I had a blast calling for other folks this year, working birds for myself and even let several walk for various reasons before taking birds on the second to last and last days of the season. The excitement of killing a bird and the meat is all great but the real trophy for me is having the opportunity to work a bird and play that chess game with him

dzsmith

Nothing to regret if you are only after the big one. Good luck .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

lunghit

Cool pics and good luck getting your target bird.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Zobo

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on May 11, 2022, 08:29:25 PM

This is where I'm at in my turkey hunting. I had a blast calling for other folks this year, working birds for myself and even let several walk for various reasons before taking birds on the second to last and last days of the season. The excitement of killing a bird and the meat is all great but the real trophy for me is having the opportunity to work a bird and play that chess game with him

100% agree with these comments, it's about the journey not the outcome.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Gooserbat

Well it's not what I'd have done but it's your choice.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Sir-diealot

I can agree with that, it is extra fun to know that I am using calls that I have assembled/made myself and knowing on one occasion for sure I called two away from a hen is pretty cool as well. I also did not realize that until I looked at some of the pictures and saw they had the hen with them and still came several hundred yards to my calling.

I was worried about my calling this year because the CD player in the truck broke down and I was not able to listen to Mr. Williams CD's multiple times like I do every year to get my cadence down. I listened in the house some but the dog and the GF were not to keen on it.

I was supposed to call for someone 2 years ago but covid hit and she ended up working every day so that did not happen but I can see how rewarding that would be.

Quote from: dzsmith on May 11, 2022, 09:11:24 PM
Nothing to regret if you are only after the big one. Good luck .
Nope, I will start hunting with the gun more next week, maybe to late but it has been fun.

Quote from: Zobo on May 11, 2022, 09:54:07 PM

100% agree with these comments, it's about the journey not the outcome.

Thanks bud.

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 12, 2022, 12:13:23 AM
Well it's not what I'd have done but it's your choice.

We all have our own way of doing things, what's right for one may not be right for the other but so long as we are enjoying ourselves that is what is important. On a side not I think these are the two from the second day of hunting, the one would be the one I am after though it is hard to tel which is which at the distance.

John Koenig:

Turkeybutt

Great photos as usual Steve!
Thanks for sharing!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeybutt on May 12, 2022, 02:26:44 PM
Great photos as usual Steve!
Thanks for sharing!
Thank you and you're welcome.

John Koenig:

Beards and Hooks

Hope you get lucky with that multi bearded bird Steve

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Beards and Hooks on May 12, 2022, 06:50:11 PM
Hope you get lucky with that multi bearded bird Steve

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
Thanks bud, me too. I will be going to bed soon, 3 in the morning comes quick!

John Koenig: