OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any advice on what went wrong?

Started by Sandman50, April 27, 2022, 04:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandman50

Hello everyone! I just got back from an early morning hunt. I must confess to you all now that I live in the terrible state of California and beg for your forgiveness hahaha. Anyways, so I was set up with a small ridge about 100 yards to the right of me. I got into the area and as the sun was coming up I hit the  crow call.  I did not get any in replies which I sort of expected as the season is almost over and the birds are probably pressured.  I did a few very soft hen yelps and then waited about 20 minutes before doing it again. About five minutes later I heard a Tom gobble about 200 yards in front of me. I heard some yelps coming from the same area about 20 seconds later. I am too new to turkey hunting to be able to tell the difference between a gobbler Yelp and a hen one.

As this was all happening I saw a separate Tom about 70 yards to the right of me just off the top of the ridge walking down towards where I heard the gobble come from originally. There is no way they were the same Tom. The one I saw was walking,was not fanned out or strutting. He just continued to walk down the ridge towards where I heard the first gobble and I did not see him again. I did not have any decoys up either. I would love to hear any opinions or advice any of you have on what went wrong or what I can do to get him tomorrow morning.

Chief Razor

I dont think you did anything wrong. Just turkeys being turkeys. I would be more shocked to hear he came to you instead of moving to the real thing. Im guessing he could see them.

Sandman50

Chief Razor- Do you think they are "past" their mating time now and are ignoring the hen as most of them are on the nest?  Also, thank you so much for the reply. This was my fourth turkey hunt in my entire life so to say I know next to nothing would be accurate ha ha

Tom007

Sounds like an exciting morning. I would go back with different calls, and if you can, do a fighting purr if you see the 2 gobblers together again. This might get them interested in checking out the fight......best of luck. PS, for only your 4th time, your doing well. Your in the game, good for you....

ol bob

There's not a man alive, that can tell whats going on in a turkeys head,

Tom007

Quote from: ol bob on April 27, 2022, 05:51:30 PM
There's not a man alive, that can tell whats going on in a turkeys head,

X10, they are so unpredictable, you never know what they are gonna do.

Zobo

It seems like your hunting open terrain so a decoy could help. I would call more aggressively and be patient. Gobblers know where you're calling from with remarkable precision and might come looking after hens leave. This method requires patience and you need to be completely hidden.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

GobbleNut

Based on your description, I get the impression that when you saw the gobbler walking down the ridge, you did not call to him.  If that is the case, then I personally believe that was the error you made in that particular situation.  In my opinion, you should have called to him to evaluate his reaction to your calling. 

You may not have turned him, but if he is headed to other turkeys he heard, he is certainly not going to change his direction if you do not let him know you are there.  Assuming you have a fundamental understanding of "turkey talk", don't be afraid to call in those situations!   :icon_thumright:

grayfox

You may have done nothing wrong. Years ago I was set up about a hundred yards from a gobbler on the roost. This was I believe the last day of season. When he flew down another gobbler several hundred yards back towards the road started gobbling. He went straight to him despite me calling to him & they both went to my left & went out of hearing both of them gobbling their heads off. I was baffled. Turkeys do strange things sometimes. Like others have stated they can be very unpredictable.

Sandman50

Thanks for all of the excellent advice gents!  I returned the following morning and settled in backed up to a huge oak tree right below the ridge I had seen that Tom at. I felt great about the location and even better just being back out in God's creation. I sat for about 5 minutes and gave a few soft tree yelps. Nothing....  About 30 minutes later I hear two gobbles in two separate locations just like the day before. I waited a few minutes and gave a slightly louder couple of yelps.  I see something black moving through the trees in front of me so I start turning slowly to face that direction. Then a big black Doberman runs out and stands there looking at me. I assumed a person would follow so I lifted my shotgun so that it was pointed upwards.

Sure enough a woman in a blaze orange hat walks past me about 30 yards away.  She hadn't seen me and I didn't want to scare her to death.  I waved to her and she said in a low tone of voice, "sorry about that." 

So no luck that day but I'm going to stick with it and keep turkey hunting.  I greatly appreciate everyone's sage advice. God bless! 

Zobo

Oh no! That has happened to me too, on my own private land to boot! I scared the life out of her when I stood up, told her "please, no dog walking in May." It happened to me twice also with one of my neighbors on horseback!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tom007

Quote from: Sandman50 on April 29, 2022, 05:25:03 PM
Thanks for all of the excellent advice gents!  I returned the following morning and settled in backed up to a huge oak tree right below the ridge I had seen that Tom at. I felt great about the location and even better just being back out in God's creation. I sat for about 5 minutes and gave a few soft tree yelps. Nothing....  About 30 minutes later I hear two gobbles in two separate locations just like the day before. I waited a few minutes and gave a slightly louder couple of yelps.  I see something black moving through the trees in front of me so I start turning slowly to face that direction. Then a big black Doberman runs out and stands there looking at me. I assumed a person would follow so I lifted my shotgun so that it was pointed upwards.

Sure enough a woman in a blaze orange hat walks past me about 30 yards away.  She hadn't seen me and I didn't want to scare her to death.  I waved to her and she said in a low tone of voice, "sorry about that." 

So no luck that day but I'm going to stick with it and keep turkey hunting.  I greatly appreciate everyone's sage advice. God bless!

I wish you success. You are in the game, you will close the deal.....be safe, good luck.....

redleg06

Quote from: Sandman50 on April 29, 2022, 05:25:03 PM

I'd be trying to go in there and roost the birds since you seem to have a pretty good idea of the area they want to be in. From there, I might try to get in between them if you can get them both roosted. If not, set up on the one you did (hopefully) get roosted.

mikejd

Right now it seams as if you have not spooked the birds at all and they seam to want to roost in that area. Now that the dog walker knows there is a hunter in that area she will likely walk somewhere else. I say keep doing what you are doing.