OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey 18.5" barrel, IC .660, Apex 8.5 TSS  (Read 5046 times)

Offline timotheius

Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey 18.5" barrel, IC .660, Apex 8.5 TSS
« on: April 27, 2022, 10:43:40 AM »
I have tried several chokes in my new Mossberg 940 pro turkey gun (I got the one with the 18.5" barrel) and the Indian Creek .660 seemed to give the best results.  Also, the Apex Turkey Ninja rounds with the #8.5 TSS shot definitely outperformed the Federal TSS #9 TSS shot.  Pics below are at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards.  My red dot sight needs a little adjustment on the point of aim, but I am really pleased with the tight patterns.  The only problem is that at 20 yards or less there is a good chance of taking the bird's head completely off. 

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey 18.5" barrel, IC .660, Apex 8.5 TSS
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 11:41:00 AM »
That is truly awesome, and those Ninja's hit a little harder as well which is even better. You will love the shortness of that gun in the timber with that 18.5 inch barrel. As good as your gun like those loads, if I were you, I would buy up all the Ninja I could find in case that load gets discontinued at some point because that set up is performing about as good as it gets. You have a red dot, so your super close shots will be doable, but man you will have to emphasize the thinking of aim small and miss small at 15-25 yards. But you have an awesome pattern set up. Thanks for sharing.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline timotheius

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 12:42:41 PM »
That is truly awesome, and those Ninja's hit a little harder as well which is even better. You will love the shortness of that gun in the timber with that 18.5 inch barrel. As good as your gun like those loads, if I were you, I would buy up all the Ninja I could find in case that load gets discontinued at some point because that set up is performing about as good as it gets. You have a red dot, so your super close shots will be doable, but man you will have to emphasize the thinking of aim small and miss small at 15-25 yards. But you have an awesome pattern set up. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!  I appreciate the feedback.  I agree, I'll try to buy up a good supply of that ammo as soon as I can.  But right now I'm a little broke.  I bought 2 Jebs chokes, Kicks, Carlsons, Indian Creek, and also tried the factory choke that came with the gun.  Constrictions were from .650 in the Jebs to .675 in the Carlsons.  So I think I've burned up around $300 in TSS shells just testing stuff out.  Honestly, between all the chokes I tried, there wasn't a huge difference when using the Federal ammo.  The Federal ammo patterned nicely and evenly out to about 40 yards in just about every choke, but that was the max.  But when I got 2 boxes of the Apex, I noticed a difference immediately.  And I do LOVE the short barrel of this gun.  That's why I was drawn to this gun...short barrel and only weights 7.2 pounds for an autoloader.  My buddy jokes that it looks like a home defense shotgun that should be under my bed.  My only complaint is that there were some cosmetic flaws on the camo dip when I got the gun that were disappointing. (Had to order from an online retailer, so no returns once I took possession).   

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 09:53:40 PM »

Thanks!  I appreciate the feedback.  I agree, I'll try to buy up a good supply of that ammo as soon as I can.  But right now I'm a little broke.  I bought 2 Jebs chokes, Kicks, Carlsons, Indian Creek, and also tried the factory choke that came with the gun.  Constrictions were from .650 in the Jebs to .675 in the Carlsons.  So I think I've burned up around $300 in TSS shells just testing stuff out.  Honestly, between all the chokes I tried, there wasn't a huge difference when using the Federal ammo.  The Federal ammo patterned nicely and evenly out to about 40 yards in just about every choke, but that was the max.  But when I got 2 boxes of the Apex, I noticed a difference immediately.  And I do LOVE the short barrel of this gun.  That's why I was drawn to this gun...short barrel and only weights 7.2 pounds for an autoloader.  My buddy jokes that it looks like a home defense shotgun that should be under my bed.  My only complaint is that there were some cosmetic flaws on the camo dip when I got the gun that were disappointing. (Had to order from an online retailer, so no returns once I took possession).

I too bought a new Mossberg this spring and the camo dip left a lot to be desired. It had cosmetic scratches from where it was just packed in the box and the packing had rubbed up against it as it was shipped out. But I am like you, I have the gun and knew it is just a matter of time before I was going to mark it up myself somewhere in the woods. In less than five trips, the dip pattern was also wearing off where it was rubbing up against my turkey vest while walking through the woods while on my shoulder by way of a sling.

The good news, you are likely set now and your expense will go way down for the next few seasons. But I have been right there where you are at and thinking man this stuff is expensive. Especially the TSS. Good luck going forward, you will slay a lot of birds with that gun. 
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 03:39:44 PM »
Are you rooster ?
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 09:58:28 PM »
2 oz. 2.25 oz. 2.5 oz....? IMFREAKINPRESSIVE!!!!

Offline timotheius

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 09:15:33 AM »
Are you rooster ?

No.  I have no idea who rooster is.

Offline timotheius

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 09:20:41 AM »
2 oz. 2.25 oz. 2.5 oz....? IMFREAKINPRESSIVE!!!!
It's a 2.25 oz load; 3" shell.  size 8.5 shot.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 11:50:40 AM »
Are you rooster ?

No.  I have no idea who rooster is.
10-4 he had a YouTube video where he did several chokes and a few shell combos …. Thought it might be you lol.

Offline timotheius

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 09:50:15 AM »
Well last week I shot a gobbler with this setup at 40 yards.  Bang flop!  Here a link to the youtube video I made of the hunt.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsc1TSXBYfk

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 01:05:16 PM »
Yeah definitely not rooster lol. Great video man. I enjoyed it . Glad you were able to have some luck .

Offline Twitch

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2022, 04:07:27 AM »
I think this post just made my decision between 18.5" and 24". 18.5" it is! Thanks

Offline Stingray

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2022, 07:55:28 PM »
I’d like to see Mossberg offer this gun in 20 gauge with a short barrel .

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2022, 11:02:09 PM »
Oh yeah. I think we are all waiting for a 20 gauge offering.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2022, 08:42:22 PM »
Oh yeah. I think we are all waiting for a 20 gauge offering.
Yes also waiting for a 20 and I am liking that pattern with the short barrel.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"