OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Deep cleaning chokes with a drill?

Started by jmerchant1, April 25, 2022, 09:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmerchant1

Anyone use the bronze brush with solvent in a cordless drill method for cleaning inside their chokes? Does it do any harm to the finish or cause any negative effects on patterns/POI? Bronze brushes seem to be frowned upon by many in today's rifle world, so wasn't sure about smooth shotgun bores and chokes. Figured I'd ask before running the risk of ruining a good choke.

lacire

Short answer from me is that more people damage guns from over cleaning than under cleaning. Used properly in a newer gun I can't see a bronze brush hurting a chrome lined barrel and a stainless steel choke. What I see on my guns is a thin residue of plastic that will build up in the choke tube from the plastic wad (especially on a ported choke) this for me comes out pretty easily just using a brush by hand. :z-twocents:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Hobbes

I believe Allaboutshooting (Clark) used to have info on here about deep cleaning.  Unfortunately he's gone now but I believe a search would locate his posts on the subject.

joey46

Quote from: Hobbes on April 26, 2022, 01:15:17 AM
I believe Allaboutshooting (Clark) used to have info on here about deep cleaning.  Unfortunately he's gone now but I believe a search would locate his posts on the subject.
Yes he did some great instructional post on the old NWTF forum.  I think some of the deep cleaning crowd used a special solvent also but it's name escapes me.  Started with the letter "k" I believe.

Hersh

I believe it was Kroil. I have some somewhere here. Ryan

budtripp

It was Kroil. Then followed up with JB bore cleaner if I remember right. Kroil is potent stuff, useful out in the garage or shop as well as cleaning gun barrels.

jmerchant1

So is it safe? I don't have any Kroil/JB and I honestly never obsessed about "deep cleaning" a choke. After recently shooting I just thought the drill and brush combo with some hoppes or CLP I have laying around would scrub faster and more evenly than by hand.

captpete

I just use Hoppes and an old toothbrush for the choke. I have also used a regular bronze brush by hand, but it is kind of tight so I prefer the toothbrush.

Hobbes

Quote from: jmerchant1 on April 26, 2022, 07:02:09 AM
So is it safe? I don't have any Kroil/JB and I honestly never obsessed about "deep cleaning" a choke. After recently shooting I just thought the drill and brush combo with some hoppes or CLP I have laying around would scrub faster and more evenly than by hand.

I couldn't tell you but I doubt Clark recommended anything that wasn't.  Search out his info and I'm sure he covers it in detail.

the Ward

I would think using a drill might be a little overkill. Like other posters mentioned, check out
the deep cleaning methods posted previously by Clark. Also, when trying to get your best patterns,
make sure the bore and choke are dry and free of oil and solvents.

runngun

Kriol + JB Bore past for polishing shotgun barrel. Also used with a caliber specific brush to clean a rifle barrel that has been shot alot.  Works great for both. 
I also polish a shotgun barrel with a specific hone with a specific oil with a drill.

For shotgun barrel, I also use Carburetor cleaner, turkey choke as well. It will absolutely melt plastic wadding material inside the barrel and choke. You can watch it ball up.

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

jmerchant1

Thanks for all the input guys. I found Clark's method, looks pretty intense but he claims it works wonders. I'll be honest, I probably will keep cleaning the actual bore to a little hoppes and a few brush strokes followed by some dry patches. I tend to agree with the school of thought that over-cleaning has lead to many ruined gun parts (both in the rifle and shotgun world). Im only shooting a handful of shots through the year so it doesn't take much to get my barrel back to bright and clean. I was more interested in just the choke maintenance as I figured the grooves and inside are harder to see and catch a lot of the wad residue and gunk. Not to mention it's the last thing influencing your shot on the way to the target.

redjones

Get a mason jar and a bottle of Goof-off,put choke in the jar and completely cover with Goof-off let soak overnight then use a brush on the choke.
If the choke is really dirty soak a couple of days,guarantee your choke will be spotless,I like to swirl the choke around in the jar a couple of times during the process just to loosen up any plastic etc thats breaking down.
Don't get any of the liquid on your gun it could cause some minor damage to finish or bluing.
I have only done this with (non blued/camo etc. chokes) that are used in card shooting,so not sure what it may do to blued or painted,dipped chokes,but probably wouldn't be the best for their finish.

Greg
Semper Fi

maineute

Kroil is great stuff for freeing up rusted bolts and gets drawn in well when it is heated with a torch. Works much better then PB blaster for that application. I could see how it would free up debris on a choke.

Orange bottle at NAPA. Have to ask for it by name, they keep it behind the counter.

JohnSouth22

I've done it to mine several times before each season and it really hasn't significantly improved or hindered function