turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

All those expensive calls…

Started by roosterstraw, April 20, 2022, 08:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roosterstraw

All those expensive calls I bought throughout the off season and I called him in with a $15 diagram call. I won't tell the wife that though, as far as she knows it took each of my call's to bring him in.

I was actually walking back to the truck when I yelped a few times to see if I could hear one gobble. Sure enough I did, I waited a few minutes then yelped again and he responded. He was on the neighbors property so I couldn't go after him. I sat down on an open hill side and gave a few more yelps/cuts. He was getting closer, I told myself "this might actually work". A few more yelps/cuts and next thing I know he's at the bottom of the hill in an open area on my property. I was sitting in the open and thought for sure I was going to get busted and he was strutting/ drumming/ spitting about 60 yards away, I didn't have a shot. He done that for a few more minutes and finally turned around and that's when I made the move to the tree line. Next thing I know a hen is calling on the hill side where he came from, I started calling back cutting her off hoping she wouldn't pull him back. She flew down to him and started coming in a b line straight at me. Again, I thought for sure I was busted. She got to within about 10-15ft and I knew it was now or never to take the shot. I just needed him to give me a clear shot of his head. Finally he gave me a good shot at 38 yards (I stepped it off) and I dropped him. What a fun and intense hunt. I'm still not sure how that hen didn't seen me, there was absolutely no cover between her and I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC0331

That's how it is sometimes,  congratulations on the bird!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Mtd69

3bailey3

davisd9

Well dang, a $15 mouth call seems way expensive to me. Congratulations on the hunt!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

JeffC

Congrats on the Tom, both the wife and I laughed at your story.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Zobo

You know the calls that consistently work the most are the calls I consistently use the most, regardless of price/quality.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

RLAG

Similar thing happened to me too. Bought I don't know how many calls in the off season trying to diversify my sounds and the first bird I killed this season I only killed my crawling in on him out in a food plot. It is what it is sometimes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yoteduster

Fun story congrats on a nice gobbler

highcj5

Congrats. Sounded like a fun hunt

silvestris

Quote from: RLAG on April 20, 2022, 09:26:46 PM
Similar thing happened to me too. Bought I don't know how many calls in the off season trying to diversify my sounds and the first bird I killed this season I only killed my crawling in on him out in a food plot. It is what it is sometimes

Crawling?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

RLAG

Quote from: silvestris on April 20, 2022, 09:51:24 PM
Quote from: RLAG on April 20, 2022, 09:26:46 PM

Crawling?
I was walking down a road to this small plot in the middle of a clear cut when I saw the red head pop up. Because I was in a clear cut I couldn't exactly just drop back into the woods and call it off the plot so I hit the deck and crawled on it using the cover of the broomstaw and sapling pine trees as cover to get close enough. Surprised myself I got away with it

Bagg-it Tag-it

Congratulations! Never know when your luck turns around. Keep at it

Turkeybutt

Congrats! Beautiful bird. You'll hold on to that $15.00 call for next year I'm sure.

High plains drifter

I don't spend hardly any money on calls.