OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

.243 reloading question for youth

Started by strutnva, June 10, 2011, 10:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnva

I know this is a bit off topic, but I know a few of you guys reload a bit and might be able to help me.  I want to buy my 6 year old a single shot youth 243 and wonder how light of a load I can put together safely.  I'm thinking a light weight 70-75 gr bullet with say IMR 4350 or IMR 4831.  Question is most load data says high thirties to low forties on the grains of powder , how low can I go and still have enough juice to be effective.  Reduced recoil is my goal?  Any other ideas are welcomed.  Thank you.

redarrow

Just an opinion here. Dont worry about the reduced load. The .243 is a very light recoiling round. Your powder chices are 2 very good ones .For deer ,go with a 100 gr. bullet minimum. Sierr@  Gameking would be a good start.

redarrow

Also the .243 recoil is
75 gr. bullet @3400 fps is 7.2 foot lbs of recoil in a 8.5 lb. rifle
95 gr.bullet @ 3100 fps is 11.0 "                             7.25 lb. rifle and
100 gr. bullet 2960 fps is 8.8  "                               7.5 lb. rifle.

strutnva

thanks for the info, where did you get the recoil data?

redarrow

The chart I have is from  Chuck Hawks. he says the info came from  " Handloades Digest 8th Edition, recoil calculator at  www.biggameinfo.com/recoilcalc.asp and the Lyman Reloading Handbook.43rd Edition.

savduck

My dad bought me a 6mm when I was 7............243 with little more powder. He hand loads 105 grain hornady for us, not sure of his powder mix. ive killed a truck load of deer with that thing since I was 7. the recoil wont bother him. Go with the 100 or 105 grain and mow them down.

Our handloads were all pushing 3000fps.
Georgia Boy

strutnva

TheTwistedOne

Quote from: strutnva on June 10, 2011, 10:12:50 PM
I know this is a bit off topic, but I know a few of you guys reload a bit and might be able to help me.  I want to buy my 6 year old a single shot youth 243 and wonder how light of a load I can put together safely.  I'm thinking a light weight 70-75 gr bullet with say IMR 4350 or IMR 4831.  Question is most load data says high thirties to low forties on the grains of powder , how low can I go and still have enough juice to be effective.  Reduced recoil is my goal?  Any other ideas are welcomed.  Thank you.

Don't ever try and load below minimum load listed in a Reloading manual.  You run the risk of the pressure getting dangerously high if you do.  An undercharged cartridge can be as dangerous as an overcharged cartridge.

That being said you will probably need to look at different powders to work up reduced loads.

trackerbucky

My son has used a .243 since the day he started deer hunting.  great choice. Just make sure you use good hearing protection when he shoots it.  Plugs and muffs.  With a .243 a good hearing protection the recoil won't be an issue. He'll never notice the recoil when shooting at game.

+1 on the 100 gr bullets for deer.  Most of the lighter bullets are constructed for varmints and won't perform well at all on deer.  We use Nosler partitions and they are absolutely poison on deer.

Best of luck.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

dirt road ninja

I started my son out with a .243 when he was 5. He is now 8 and the only time he has ever shot the rifle was at game. I set him up with a 22lr. that was the same lop, had the same optics, and safety features for him to pratctice with. He's got no idea that rifles kick. He is 9 for 10 so far. I was shooting rifles that knocked my block off as a kid and it took years of practice to break myself of the flinching problem. Even a light recoil round like the 243 could deter a child from enjoying shooting. With just about any scoped 22lr you can practice out to 125 yards on a calm day with great results. Your son will be able to fire hundreds of rounds a weekend with no ill effects on his shoulder. For what it worth my boy likes to shoot balloons he will wear then out as long as I blow them up. I get more of a thrill watching him shoot the deer then shooting them myself. The first one he shot I had my hand on the back of his chair and he over at me and said "dad move your hand your shaking me"

We have had lots of trouble with exit wounds though. Shots have been as close as 25yrds out to 110. 4 out of 9 there was no exit. Whiched to a 80gr.GMX this year, but still had 1 with no exit. Putting him in a .308 for the 2011-2012 season.

Reloader

I would probably go with a faster powder like H4895 or Varget and load 80grn pills at minimum loads(starting loads) for a light recoiling deer round. Look at Hodgdon's web site for load data.

It will probably still be over 3k and clip any deer walking with the right placement.

I hunted deer with a 6mm Rem as a kid, plain ole cup-n-core 80-100grn pills tipped them over just fine.

Good Luck

Reloader

Woodsman4God

Quote from: Reloader on June 13, 2011, 05:20:59 PM
I would probably go with a faster powder like H4895 or Varget and load 80grn pills at minimum loads(starting loads) for a light recoiling deer round. Look at Hodgdon's web site for load data.

It will probably still be over 3k and clip any deer walking with the right placement.

I hunted deer with a 6mm Rem as a kid, plain ole cup-n-core 80-100grn pills tipped them over just fine.

Good Luck

Reloader

I was gonna say basically the same thing, now with Hornady's 80 gr gmx ballistic tip and barnes 80 gr TTSX you have monolithic solids that are devastating on animals in a lighter bullet, my son is 7 and this year it appears Michigan is gonna be changing its age restriction and he might be able to hunt and my wifes 243 is gonna be the gun.

Good Luck

catdaddy

I did not have that much experience with a 243 until my son was old enough to start hunting. He began with a single shot H&R 243 and last year moved up to a REM 700 with a youth stock. he has killed several nice deer and a nice boar as well. To me, the 243 was surprisingly effective--it is a great caliber for youth and well as adults. We have had great results shooting 100 grain Remington "Core Locs".

savduck

Quote from: dirt road ninja on June 13, 2011, 04:53:19 PM
I started my son out with a .243 when he was 5. He is now 8 and the only time he has ever shot the rifle was at game. I set him up with a 22lr. that was the same lop, had the same optics, and safety features for him to pratctice with. He's got no idea that rifles kick. He is 9 for 10 so far. I was shooting rifles that knocked my block off as a kid and it took years of practice to break myself of the flinching problem. Even a light recoil round like the 243 could deter a child from enjoying shooting. With just about any scoped 22lr you can practice out to 125 yards on a calm day with great results. Your son will be able to fire hundreds of rounds a weekend with no ill effects on his shoulder. For what it worth my boy likes to shoot balloons he will wear then out as long as I blow them up. I get more of a thrill watching him shoot the deer then shooting them myself. The first one he shot I had my hand on the back of his chair and he over at me and said "dad move your hand your shaking me"

We have had lots of trouble with exit wounds though. Shots have been as close as 25yrds out to 110. 4 out of 9 there was no exit. Whiched to a 80gr.GMX this year, but still had 1 with no exit. Putting him in a .308 for the 2011-2012 season.

If you use a 105 grain nosler or Hornady boat tail there will be an exit wound.
Georgia Boy

strutnva

thanks again guys, he has shot it now once, seems to be ok with it so far, I don't plan on letting him shoot it much, he has a 22 he loves to shoot as a learning tool