Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Like to reload TSS what do I need & must have items.

Started by DMTJAGER, April 06, 2022, 08:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMTJAGER

Seriously considering reloading 3" 12ga TSS shells. I own 6 12ga shotguns so no I will not buy a 20 ga.
I will soon be acquiring the fallowing:
A speed adjustable drill press that will go down to less than 300 RPM
MEC 600jr MKV relaoder in case I need to prime any new hulls
Shaker/oscillator Gypsum mixer
Shell vice
A sliding paper cuter
I also have been reloading HG and rifle for 35+ years and have a mountain of reloading tools and equipment
including RCBS 1010 balance beam and electronic scales.
I will also buy a Lyman shot shell reloading book.

What I would greatly appreciate are recommendations on which 12ga 3" hulls and wads to buy as well as what buffer, over shot cards and wads to buy along with which Mylar wraps to buy.
Also need to know which roll crimping tool to buy.
I am already aware based on what I have read here that most of the products I need are best to be bought from Ballistic products, but would appreciate to be told what other sights are good sources shot shell reloading components and tools,.

I've already watched several great YouTube videos that will teach me nearly all I need to know to reload 12ga TSS shells but will also use the Lyman shot shell relaoding book as a guide.

I'm in no hurry as it's much to late to reload for this spring turkey season but hope to be able to be ready for fall turkey as I'd like to give that a try as I have wanted to for years.

quackaddict

In for some info of my own too. Also reload some handgun and rifle stuff, but would really like to roll my own TSS as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

BandedSpur

Buy your shot from Hal Abbott, aka "". He will supply recipes and a list of components needed. Do that this summer for next year.

turkey_slayer

Couldn't pick a worst time to start. Components and powder are hard to come by

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DMTJAGER

Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 07, 2022, 08:51:36 AM
Couldn't pick a worst time to start. Components and powder are hard to come by

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thank you for the suggestion will do.

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 07, 2022, 07:49:22 AM
Buy your shot from Hal Abbott, aka "". He will supply recipes and a list of components needed. Do that this summer for next year.
Correct you are sir. I don't plan on using them for fall turkey if possible but next years spring turkey for sure. Will just have to be paitent and check non-stop daily and buy in bulk when available.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Precision Reloading is another site that is a good source for reloading components.  When I started loading TSS, some of the components came from Ballistic Products and the rest came from Precision Reloading.  You'll get your recipe from someone that provides you with the TSS shot and make sure you are getting pressure tested recipes.  Ask for the pressure test data.  Hal is a great source.

You'll likely be buying new primed hulls, so you won't need to deprime and prime with a press.
I wouldn't buy a drill press just for reloading, although it is a nice tool to have. 
As for a roll crimping tool, I prefer the antique hand crank roll crimpers (search eBay, also the French term "sertisseur cartouche").  No drill required and they do a fantastic job. Watch out for the Russian ones.  Sometimes they arrive, sometimes they don't. If you go with a drill, the Gaep (top shelf) or the Precision Reloading bit seems to be preferred over the Ballistic Products.  You will likely be needing some form of hull trimmer unless you are lucky and use a recipe that fits perfectly in an untrimmed hull.  Most make their own. 

You may have already seen it, but Dave Owens did a nice tutorial as part of the Pinhoti series.

Fullfan

Ronny Savage and Hal Abbot both sell TSS. along with the shot you can request loads for whatever ga you want to shoot. The load recipe will tell you exactly what components needed to build the load. But like mentioned above, now is a bad time to find anything for loading..

I have been loading with recipes that are pressure tested from both the mentioned guys.  Been doing so for the past 9 years.   
Don't gobble at me...

Rapscallion Vermilion

x2 on reaching out to Ronny Savage.  "Reloader" on here.  Proven and pressure tested recipes.

btomlin

Following as interested as well for my new 410.

Anyone know what their cost/shell is vs $7-9/shell OTC/Custom ammo?? 

I know when I was reloading for my predator rifles there was quite a margin between handloads and OTC "premium" ammo with comparable components.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Less than $5 per shell at 1 5/8 oz, but I haven't had to buy components for a few years and started before custom or commercial loads were available.  $7 to $9 per shell sounds like a pretty good deal.  You'd have to shoot a lot to make up for the up front expenses of loading your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LockStockandArrow

DMTJAGER

Thanks again for all the replies. Printed out all of the replies for future reference. I will wait until I'm done turkey hunting this year before I start buying components.