News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Smaller trumpets

Started by Zobo, March 31, 2022, 09:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Zobo on March 31, 2022, 09:03:43 PM
My daughter's getting better than me! She asked if someone makes a smaller/shorter trumpet. She's using one that's 8 1/4" long. Can you recommend any shorter trumpets?  How would that effect sound and playability if at all?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

The rollover can be faster and they will usually be a tad higher pitched. Someone may have already said that in this thread, so if so I did not mean to steal their comments. But I mainly chime in to also say that a really good cane reed call might be her best friend for a couple of years. There is a nice guy on ebay who makes a pretty decent one for less than twenty bucks and I have slayed birds with them. He could even shorter it a hair more if it would help her. If interested, let me know and I can help you run him down. Tiny little calls and they sound just about like a jordan yelper and are pretty easy to run. For the money you just cannot beat them.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Zobo

That's a little heirloom right there! It's looks pretty small 7"?
     I'm excited to give her anything even remotely close to that to her. I told Ralph her only request was a lighter wood color but it's gorgeous in that darker wood. (ABW?)
     It's a splurge for me for sure but I wanted to get her a classic looking type. That 1917 will be nicer than any trumpet I own, that's for sure. At least its a hell of a lot cheaper than the violin I had to buy her.
     And, yeah, you know I'll be "borrowing" it from time to time when nobody's looking!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

sbbow

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 02, 2022, 02:17:31 AM
Quote from: Zobo on April 02, 2022, 12:38:25 AM
Chester, thanks for your input, I was able to get in touch with RP and order the 1917 you suggested. It is over an inch shorter than the shortest trumpet I own so I think it'll fit her a little better. Of course by the time she gets it she may be fully grown, lol!
Over the past three or four years I usually get a call from Ralph every eight to nine months. That seems to be about the turnaround time on his list nowadays. Well worth the wait. This is my 1917 from him. In my opinion he's top three or four doing it and I personally value him and what he's done to preserve call history more than any other maker alive. He's an absolute treasure. The 1917 is a cool call with a cool history and it'll most definitely suit her well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice indeed!

Zobo

Quote from: outdoors on March 31, 2022, 09:23:43 PM
If you are a member on Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=659517508686185&id=100038838248718

I love Lewis's trumpets, super easy running, lightweight, good looking, nice sounding, winners all around. Didn't know about this little pocket one, looks awesome thanks for the heads up!!!

Zobo

There is a nice guy on ebay who makes a pretty decent one for less than twenty bucks and I have slayed birds with them. He could even shorter it a hair more if it would help her. If interested, let me know and I can help you run him down. Tiny little calls and they sound just about like a jordan yelper and are pretty easy to run. For the money you just cannot beat them.

If this is what you're talking about, I agree, worth the short money.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Zobo on April 02, 2022, 10:12:16 AM
     I'm excited to give her anything even remotely close to that to her. I told Ralph her only request was a lighter wood color but it's gorgeous in that darker wood. (ABW?)
     It's a splurge for me for sure but I wanted to get her a classic looking type. That 1917 will be nicer than any trumpet I own, that's for sure. At least its a hell of a lot cheaper than the violin I had to buy her.
     And, yeah, you know I'll be "borrowing" it from time to time when nobody's looking!
Yes, that call was blackwood. Everything I've got from Ralph is blackwood or delrin. Started by accident and then the collection just stayed black. One thing you could do that might be fun for your daughter is to ask Ralph about specific dimensions he'd need on a blank and then she could pick out a blank from one of the wood sites to mail him. You've got plenty of time. If you'd like some suggestions on those sites let me know and I'll message you some places.

Zobo

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 03, 2022, 02:42:30 AM
Quote from: Zobo on April 02, 2022, 10:12:16 AM
Yes, that call was blackwood. Everything I've got from Ralph is blackwood or delrin. Started by accident and then the collection just stayed black. One thing you could do that might be fun for your daughter is to ask Ralph about specific dimensions he'd need on a blank and then she could pick out a blank from one of the wood sites to mail him. You've got plenty of time. If you'd like some suggestions on those sites let me know and I'll message you some places.

Sure, I'd be interested in those site suggestions. Thanks!