OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Smaller trumpets

Started by Zobo, March 31, 2022, 09:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

My daughter's getting better than me! She asked if someone makes a smaller/shorter trumpet. She's using one that's 8 1/4" long. Can you recommend any shorter trumpets?  How would that effect sound and playability if at all?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

USMC0331

Contact Mr. Stowe,  he makes a pocket trumpet.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

MossyOak92

Mr. Bob Buckner made this adjustable trumpet. They play fantastic. When I run it shorter it is a little higher pitched but sounds great. But finding one maybe a trick.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Gobbler428

I think both Billy Buice and Ralph Permar make a 5.5 but either would take some time to acquire.

ChesterCopperpot

Anthony Ellis T5 is slightly shorter. Martin Ellenburg's trumpets are shorter calls (may be too open a bell design for smaller hands). Permar makes some shorter, particularly the 1917 and 1920 calls are substantially shorter than most trumpets as they represent that first step after the Jordan. That would be a great option for her, a 1917, but you would likely have to wait out a list. Might also think about just a Jordan or a tree yelper, as both are shorter designs. The Jordan may be the best option as it's also smaller at the end. Less modulation of sound but may be a call that fits her hand great. All in all, if it's a trumpet I vote a Permar 1917.

As far as sound, shorter calls play quicker. That's really it. The rollover is much quicker. I actually prefer the clucks on shorter calls. Some folks prefer that quicker sound altogether, EZ, Tony Ezolt, being one of them. Tony loves a fast call and he can sure run one. She won't lose anything as far as sound by playing a shorter call, and she may very well gain a lot by just having something that fits her hand better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris O

All good suggestions above, but a Wingbone may be a good choice for her. They are usually shorter and the smaller diameter may be easier for her.

EZ

Quote from: Zobo on March 31, 2022, 09:03:43 PM
My daughter's getting better than me! She asked if someone makes a smaller/shorter trumpet. She's using one that's 8 1/4" long. Can you recommend any shorter trumpets?  How would that effect sound and playability if at all?

GREAT PIC!!!! That's a heart warming photo to any yelper man or woman, lol.

Yes, length certainly affects sound, but the people who build the calls already have that figured in. In general, the shorter calls have a quicker roll-over.

I put gobbler radius bones in shotgun shells with a little faucet washer lipstop to give out to kids at shows to practice on. These calls are no joke and it's surprising how good they sound.

callmakerman

One of my favorite yelpers is a 410 shell with a wing bone mouthpiece. Fred Cox made me a really nice one and also have a great one from Jim McNeil.

Zobo

We'll definitely look into the suggestions from you all, not so easy to get some of these, especially these days, but the comments are greatly appreciated, Thank you!

Zobo

Quote from: EZ on April 01, 2022, 09:38:09 AM
Quote from: Zobo on March 31, 2022, 09:03:43 PM

GREAT PIC!!!! That's a heart warming photo to any yelper man or woman, lol.

Yes, length certainly affects sound, but the people who build the calls already have that figured in. In general, the shorter calls have a quicker roll-over.

I put gobbler radius bones in shotgun shells with a little faucet washer lipstop to give out to kids at shows to practice on. These calls are no joke and it's surprising how good they sound.

Thanks so much EZ! That's interesting info you shared too. I did ask her about a getting a nice little wingbone and she informed me how gross the idea of putting a dead turkey's wing bone in her mouth would be, lol! I told her she eats chicken wings all the time, she said it's not the same thing; it's hard to rationalize with an 11 year old sometimes! I'm just glad and blessed she likes to go "turkying" with  her dad from time to time.

Zobo

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 01, 2022, 12:44:20 AM
Anthony Ellis T5 is slightly shorter. Martin Ellenburg's trumpets are shorter calls (may be too open a bell design for smaller hands). Permar makes some shorter, particularly the 1917 and 1920 calls are substantially shorter than most trumpets as they represent that first step after the Jordan. That would be a great option for her, a 1917, but you would likely have to wait out a list. Might also think about just a Jordan or a tree yelper, as both are shorter designs. The Jordan may be the best option as it's also smaller at the end. Less modulation of sound but may be a call that fits her hand great. All in all, if it's a trumpet I vote a Permar 1917.

As far as sound, shorter calls play quicker. That's really it. The rollover is much quicker. I actually prefer the clucks on shorter calls. Some folks prefer that quicker sound altogether, EZ, Tony Ezolt, being one of them. Tony loves a fast call and he can sure run one. She won't lose anything as far as sound by playing a shorter call, and she may very well gain a lot by just having something that fits her hand better.

Chester, thanks for your input, I was able to get in touch with RP and order the 1917 you suggested. It is over an inch shorter than the shortest trumpet I own so I think it'll fit her a little better. Of course by the time she gets it she may be fully grown, lol!

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Zobo on April 02, 2022, 12:38:25 AM
Chester, thanks for your input, I was able to get in touch with RP and order the 1917 you suggested. It is over an inch shorter than the shortest trumpet I own so I think it'll fit her a little better. Of course by the time she gets it she may be fully grown, lol!
Over the past three or four years I usually get a call from Ralph every eight to nine months. That seems to be about the turnaround time on his list nowadays. Well worth the wait. This is my 1917 from him. In my opinion he's top three or four doing it and I personally value him and what he's done to preserve call history more than any other maker alive. He's an absolute treasure. The 1917 is a cool call with a cool history and it'll most definitely suit her well.

EZ

Tom007

Real nice Dave....beauty
"Solo hunter"