OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Probably not the best idea for me...

Started by simpzenith, March 27, 2022, 11:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simpzenith

to try and kill one with a recurve but here I am preparing to go try it again. :help: :toothy12: Not many options in this part of the country during March except tribal lands or states with an early archery season.

Last spring, I was very fortunate and found a hot gobbler and the perfect setup to help make it happen. Hoping I can catch another break this spring.

Here's a short clip of last spring's gobbler coming in: https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxcMm1hm0mdY4wRijixiaqeK6NbZJZ78wf

Hobbes

Good luck. 

It's something that I've never had the desire to do.  Whitetails with a recurve, sure, but not turkeys.  I may give my dad's muzzleloader a run this year but that's as far as I'll go on turkeys.

I have considered early seasons with a compound but really only so I can catch up with a buddy that does it exclusively.

JeffC

Should not be a problem for you, you are fantastic at calling , question is will you be using a decoy? Still trying to take a Tom with my compound. Good luck to you.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

simpzenith

Quote from: Hobbes on March 27, 2022, 12:15:56 PM
It's something that I've never had the desire to do.  Whitetails with a recurve, sure, but not turkeys.

Turkey hunting to me is a shotgun sport and trust me, I'd rather have my Mossberg in hand. lol

Quote from: JeffC on March 27, 2022, 12:30:28 PM
Should not be a problem for you, you are fantastic at calling , question is will you be using a decoy? Still trying to take a Tom with my compound. Good luck to you.

Thanks Jeff. I don't own any decoys. Gave them all away. Setup is definitely going to be the key if I can convince one to come in. Somewhat an easier task on those western birds but not something to take for granted.

Jim K

I enjoyed watching you use your recurve last year. I'm a recurve shooter too, but when it comes to turkeys it's my shotgun. Good luck with it Shane. I'm
Looking forward to the video.

Treerooster

vt35mag

Good luck Shane!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tom007

Chris O

You accomplished something awesome last year and I hope you can again this year. I have gotten back into traditional bows the last couple years and thought about trying to do what you did but I think I am going to tote the shotgun instead. Maybe next year I will, good luck to you this year!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dzsmith

Good luck .... I know it's tough. You'll find one I'm sure .
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Gobbler-one

Best of Luck. At the very least you're still turkey hunting and that's never a bad idea. Look forward to the video.

bushangler

I've killed 2 spring gobblers with a longbow with no blind or decoy. In my opinion there isn't a more challenging Turkey hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T-town

I really enjoy the recurve hunts. Grew up hunting with one but injuries and two shoulder surgeries have put those days in the past. Keep hunting, keep filming. Good luck.

maineute

I would have a hard time driving that far to hunt and expect to succeed with a recurve. And then to try to film it on top of that? What are you going to do to make it harder next time? If that is what it takes to keep you excited, have at it.

Love the videos, am always impressed with the calling, setups and tactics. Keep up the good works.

RutnNStrutn

Awesome!! Great job on last year's harvest. Good luck this spring!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk