OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey load shell count

Started by TRG3, March 26, 2022, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRG3

Over the years and at the end of the season, turkey loads were marked down at area sporting goods stores and I'd usually pick up a couple of boxes. I looked into my storage of these today and, fortunately, counted 13 boxes of 10 each, all 3" 12 gauge and mainly #5 shot. Even though there's a shortage of shells this spring, I'm set for several years. Anybody else that fortunate?

mountainhunter1

With 130 shells, I might would be set for the rest of my life as I am beyond fifty. But I realize a lot of guys hunt multiple states and you are right, you will go through them. You are smart to shop (especially at the end of the season when they are on sale) and build them up. I wonder if we get crossed up with China in the months ahead out of this Russia invasion, if maybe TSS is going to be a lot harder to come by than it already is.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Greg Massey

Well it's obvious more TSS is more available, than copper plated Winchester xr long beards ...

Sixes

When I find good sales, I usually buy a bunch and put them on the shelf.

Cabelas/BPS ran 3.5 Federal TSS on clearance, I bought 15 boxes, same with Hevi Shot Mag Blends a few years earlier, I bought a bunch of boxes of them with the rebate for less than 20 a box.

PSA ran a deal a few years back on Federal Fusion shells for 16 or 17 a box. I bought 2 cases in 300 WSM and a case in 270 WSM. I haven't even seen any 270 wsm in a couple of years and 300 WSM sells for a stupid price

I went through the ammo shortage years ago when .22s were impossible to get. As soon as availability and prices went to normal after a few years, I told myself "Never again will I have to search for ammo". I've managed to stock up on every caliber that I own. The only caliber that I lack a lot of rounds for is a .308, I have a couple of boxes for it, but it mainly stays in the safe.

We have a local high volume gun store that has now limited most ammo to only being sold with the purchase of a gun.

joey46

Most tell me I'm needlessly concerned but I am not comfortable with very old ammo.  I do store mine inside and not bouncing around a vehicle trunk or in a hot garage but I give mine a 10 year shelf life max.  It then goes the garage sale option.

Cottonmouth

Recently,  I've learned to buy ammo when I see it, not wait until I need it. I have a nice stockpile now but will keep buying what I use.

MJW

Matt76cmich

I think I'm set for life along with both of my kids that are not of hunting age yet lol.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

owlhoot

Myself , my kids, grandkids,  great grandkids probably also will have enough. Ammo is an investment. price doesnt go down.
Remember the prices when a lot of us didn't know what the internet was?

valleyoaks

1 box of 10 shells as none to be found for sale in 20 gauge lol

Old Gobbler

I found a whole storage bin of my dad's vintage turkey loads including... Remington 80's era duplex and get this ...2 complete boxes of 2 7/8 inch western #5..10 gauge loads (we are talking 25 shell boxes ) ..talk about unicorn vintage turkey loads !

A also found 3 boxes of federal HW #7 3.5 inch 12 gauge ..and I think I have almost 20 boxes of federal HW 7 for 10 gauge

Anyways ..making ammunition is a for profit venture and it sure looks like the ammo companies would much rather make 10 dollar a piece shells than 10 dollar a box ammo , and it shows
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

ElkTurkMan

I have 21 boxes Hevi 13 3"2oz #6's in 12GA
As far as my 20GA goes I am not near as stacked on that I have 7 boxes Federal HW 7's.

g8rvet

I think I have 14 boxes of HW #7 20 gauge I bought on real good sale just as they discontinued and before anyone realized it. Should be good for my life and my daughters and a long time for my grandson.  I have no ten year rule.  If they are in the humidity controlled safe and not banging around in my vest, I don't think they will ever go bad. 

My main reason for buying them is to save money, on the front end and on the back end.  I had to shoot 3 of the Apex Ninja's out of my grandson's shotgun to feel like I had it dialed in. That was $20 right there. So once I am happy, I buy enough to last for a while.   If I switched ammo because that was not available, I would have to shoot a bunch of shells to get it right again. 

Swapping chokes and testing loads on a new gun or a new load can get costly.  I do enjoy it, but I am not against saving money either. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

jwm1485

When I was about 20 my dad told me to buy a box of ammo every time I got paid. Now im good on pretty much every caliber i shoot.

Turkeybutt

My rule - Buy it when you see it.
My son thought I was nuts when I started buying various ammo in 2020. He would tell his friends the old man's out buying ammo again today.... And they laughed!
Well in turkey loads I'm safe to say I'm set for life. In 12 gauge if I had to shoot 3 times a year I have 33 years worth.
In 20 gauge I have 32 years worth.
It pays to stop and shop. Three months ago I stopped at this local gun shop
(High end stuff you know the type) and they wanted $85.00 a box for TSS 9 shot. While there looking around I started a conversation with an older gentlemen. ( I'll be 70 in May so anybody older then me is an Older Gentlemen) Anyway he told me about this mom and pop gun shop about 9 miles down the road.
Being adventurous I took the drive and was very pleased. I bought 5 boxes of TSS 9 Shot for $50.00 a box!