Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

States With A 1 Male Or Bearded Turkey Bag Limit.

Started by quavers59, March 21, 2022, 03:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obro

Their argument is that the states don't want to take away opportunities . They don't want to shorten season , shorten hours of the day you can hunt or stop fall seasons . What that really means is they want the same amount of people buying licenses and tags but want us to kill less game . They want the appearance of caring about the wildlife but they want your money . There is a high percentage of guys who don't kill any birds and they like them . They get their money and they  don't take take away from the bird population . You limit the opportunities these hunters stop going and they don't get their money . The diehards use their vacation , they will hunt if the season is only 2 weeks , they go if they can only hunt till noon and they will kill multiple birds . In their eye we are the takers and they want to limit us by limiting our bag limit .

AndyN

Times are changing, the glory days of turkey hunting are over for now in many states. Quit complaining and be grateful for the opportunity to hunt them. Casual hunters won't quit and any "die hard" that says they'll quit if they can only shoot one bird is full of chit. What will make people quit is a complete lack of turkeys. Keep those high limits and the guys who know what they're doing will get their 2-3 birds and leave little to nothing for the new folks. Just because some of us find it easy to shoot multiple birds doesn't mean we should be allowed to when population levels are low. Some of the biology will say tom harvest has no impact on population levels but I can say that the one bird states/units I've hunted are usually a much more enjoyable hunt.

bigriverbum

so killing multiple birds in one state is greedy, but shooting half a dozen birds in other states is a-ok?

i see a lot of whining and complaining on this site.  if you're into traveling and shooting birds in other states, good on you. but i don't want to see you on here whining about the state of turkeys

sorry if bird numbers suck where you live. if everyone who lives in those areas then travels and shoots birds elsewhere then there's no birds at all

OH......but its cool when YOU do it

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: Zobo on March 21, 2022, 11:44:26 AM
Quote from: guesswho on March 21, 2022, 10:40:06 AM
Quote from: quavers59 on March 21, 2022, 03:23:04 AM
We are going to end up losing Hunter interest and Hunters.
The sooner, the better!

It's an added benefit to the regulation!
I'm pacing around the house checking my watch waiting on all these hunters to lose interest. Please for the love of God can it hurry up and happen? Like maybe tomorrow? Or right now?

The biggest myth and the crutch the industry constantly falls on is this hunter recruitment BS will somehow help the turkey. NO, it will not. But, it will help line all the industry folks pockets!

Sixes

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 21, 2022, 04:15:25 PM
Quote from: Zobo on March 21, 2022, 11:44:26 AM
Quote from: guesswho on March 21, 2022, 10:40:06 AM
Quote from: quavers59 on March 21, 2022, 03:23:04 AM
We are going to end up losing Hunter interest and Hunters.
The sooner, the better!

It's an added benefit to the regulation!
I'm pacing around the house checking my watch waiting on all these hunters to lose interest. Please for the love of God can it hurry up and happen? Like maybe tomorrow? Or right now?

The biggest myth and the crutch the industry constantly falls on is this hunter recruitment BS will somehow help the turkey. NO, it will not. But, it will help line all the industry folks pockets!

100% Agree!!

Less hunters would decrease lease prices and increase game. I am all for it and I know that sounds selfish, but I hunt for myself and not anyone else.

Marc

I would be hesitant to advocate for any regulation changes in states or areas that I have no experience with or understanding of...

One advantage that I would hope for with a 1-bird limit would be reduced hunting pressure, and likely more hunting opportunities for more hunters to kill birds...  Shortening the season with larger tag allotments does not seem like a good idea at all...   Especially states or areas with limited hunting areas.  You will have a lot more hunting pressure and hunters during a shorter period of time; I would hate that.

One thing I have seen, is that unfortunately, very often harvest limits and seasons are based far more on the political climate than on substantial science.  There are likely some blue states with advocates against hunting, and unnecessary hunting season and harvest reductions...  There are also states that are looking at the financial aspect and keeping unwarrented liberal limits and seasons in order to maintain revenue for license/tag sales.  And then there are always political advocates sticking their noses in without proper knowledge advocating for more or less liberal regulations based on "how they feel."
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

richard black

I live in Michigan and we have never had more than a 1-bird limit. We are allowed to take one bird in the spring season and another in the fall season.  Michigan must be doing something right as it is listed as 4th in the nation for overall harvest numbers according to NWTF study results.
I  have never felt deprived of not being able to take more than 1 bird in the spring season and I have a lot of seasons under my belt. Realitically why do we need multiple limits? How many birds do we need to kill? If I harvest my bird the first day of the season, I can still hunt, call in birds, outsmart them, but leave my gun at home and not kill them. I can help family members or friends harvest their bird if they want me to. There was a reference that if it takes 45 days to harvest a turkey something must be wrong with the hunters skills. I take exception to that pathetic comment.
This is simply my opinion and I am not denigrating those states that have multiple bird limits or those who choose to harvest multiple birds. But times are changing and only time will tell who is correct. We need to help the turkeys as much as we can and any way we can. We can all agree on that point.

Kyle_Ott

I enjoy one bird states and I personally do not believe that non-resident turkey hunters should be allowed to kill more than 1 turkey off public land in ANY state but that's a different conversation for a different day. 

There is more carryover from year to year in one bird states and they are more well insulated to population decline.  There is also an important caveat when discussing single bird states.  Some states have implemented 1 bird bag limits to preserve a quality resource.  Others with population decline issues have imposed a single bird bag limit to remedy their decline/overharvest problem so it's not an apples to oranges comparison.

I enjoy hearing turkeys and seeing turkeys when I go hunting.  You don't see or hear that many turkeys anymore in places with higher bag limits.  Those are the places the masses go and where an abundance of tags are filled.  I would happily pay considerably more for a license in 1 bird states if additional revenue were needed.  In my mind, I'm paying for a quality experience.  Not the ability to punch a pile of tags. 

Quality and quantity cant coexist.  I'm a quality kind of guy and I hope more people continue to see it like that too. 

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: AndyN on March 21, 2022, 02:42:31 PM
Times are changing, the glory days of turkey hunting are over for now in many states. Quit complaining and be grateful for the opportunity to hunt them.
This is the part of his comment I agree with the most, but there are a lot of intersting view points. Living in MN we have always had a one bird limit in the spring. When I started it used to be a five day season, a five day season you needed to draw for. And because of the draw we only got to hunt our home state every two or three years. Now we get a seven day season that you need to pick and hope you have good weather. Archery hunter do have the opportunity to hunt all time frames. I do not wish to hunt with a bow, it could give me more time in the woods hunting but I have my reason not to. So if your state allows you to try for mutable birds be happy because times are changing. If not you just may have to become one of them bad non-resident hunters like me that go to some other states to try shooting some of there so called birds.

Cowboy

Not sure why most of these posts are upset about a one bird limit? It's not about the QUANTITY it's about the QUALITY of the experience.  When I first started in my state, we only had a one bird limit.  Now we are up to a 3 bird limit in the Spring. I dont NEED to fill every single tag. If I stretch out my season and harvest ONE GOBBLER I feel BLESSED. I have a place we have hunted 3 or 4 years now. If I take the kids and kill one during youth season then it's off limits til next year. My self imposed limit for that area is ONE GOBBLER. Do I still buy the 3 tags? YES but mainly because I can stretch out my season taking into consideration weather, work, other life things that happen. I have a close family member or 2 that practically cry if they dont harvest a gobbler. I mean FRANTIC if the season doesnt go their way. Very sad. Also have another SIBLING that feels that he must to kill every dang turkey he has a tag for. I'd be more concerned about the QUALITY of the turkeys and not so much the number of tags you can get. Just my 2 cents. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk