turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sometimes I wish I could go back to the good-old-days

Started by Tom007, March 20, 2022, 09:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

We all try to figure in what might be causing Turkey declines in some areas of the country. One thing that never seems to be mentioned is "Technological Advances in Equipment".  I remember as if it were yesterday when I harvested my first gobbler in the early 80's. My equipment included the following: Remington 1100 12 gauge Magnum with a glossy wood stock and a 30 inch barrel. It had front and rear beads. I used #4 (3) inch Remington Duck/Pheasant loads in a green and White box. I never patterned the gun, it had a fixed-full choke. I wore an  Army Tiger-stripe camo jacket and pants, Herman Survivor Work boots, a Woodland camo hat and tiger stripe bandana as a face mask. I used a Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen mouth Diaphragm, and a Lynch Box Call. I harvested my first Tom at 30 yards, no scope, just lined up the barrel beads and let it rip. As I drove by an Army Navy Store today on my way to a gun club meeting, I reminisced of my first gobbler harvest.  It made me stop and realize that all the advances in our firearms, shells/shot, camo, optics, clothing, GPS/Cell phones etc. are definitely contributing to increased hunter success.  I miss, and will always remember my early days of Turkey hunting, these memories will be with me for a lifetime.

3bailey3

Great post Tom, i Remember the first club i was ever in, 20 members but only 5 turkey hunters, we always camped the first few weekends, 4 of the guys i went to  high school with, one old guy, Buddy, some good times. we had some birds also!

Tom007

Quote from: 3bailey3 on March 20, 2022, 09:52:54 PM
Great post Tom, i Remember the first club i was ever in, 20 members but only 5 turkey hunters, we always camped the first few weekends, 4 of the guys i went to  high school with, one old guy, Buddy, some good times. we had some birds also!

Amen my friend. Thank god for the memories. Next time I am stopping in that Army/ Navy shop to look at that old style camo again......be safe

TrackeySauresRex

Yep, there was nuttin like  putting an Ol pie plate out there at 25 paces and taking a wack at it with #4's. Then saying I'm ready  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Tom007

Marc

Unfortunately, one of the largest reasons for declining turkey populations, is declining habitat.

Improved utilization of agricultural land, with less fallow corners...  Clear-cutting ditches for better irrigation, more people, and more land being turned into residential areas... etc...  All probably contribute to declining numbers, far more than improved hunter success due to technology.

I have always been a fan of hunters being the stewards of their own sport though...  Maybe scoped guns, shooting TSS, with chokes capable of shooting long ranges should be considered by hunters...  As should "reaping..."  Or mechanical decoys...

While I am not generally for regulation, I do think that ethical hunters need to draw some lines in the sand...  I would hope there would be an outcry from hunters if electric calling devices or live decoys were allowed to be put in play...  Of course we need a line in the sand, but where that line should be is up for debate..
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Tom007

Quote from: Marc on March 20, 2022, 10:06:54 PM
Unfortunately, one of the largest reasons for declining turkey populations, is declining habitat.

Improved utilization of agricultural land, with less fallow corners...  Clear-cutting ditches for better irrigation, more people, and more land being turned into residential areas... etc...  All probably contribute to declining numbers, far more than improved hunter success due to technology.

I have always been a fan of hunters being the stewards of their own sport though...  Maybe scoped guns, shooting TSS, with chokes capable of shooting long ranges should be considered by hunters...  As should "reaping..."  Or mechanical decoys...

While I am not generally for regulation, I do think that ethical hunters need to draw some lines in the sand...  I would hope there would be an outcry from hunters if electric calling devices or live decoys were allowed to be put in play...  Of course we need a line in the sand, but where that line should be is up for debate..

Agreed, habitat and many factors are contributing to some decline.  Ethics in any sport can help save the day, let's hope they play a key role in maintaining our passion for future generations to enjoy......

Greg Massey

Good post Tom i so agree, i remember the days we were lucky to hear a couple gobblers a season. We were lucky just to find some gobblers to hunt... So many of these people are missing out on asking questions about how to just hunt these birds and challenges we faced. What we have experienced in chasing these gobblers. I feel we all have got caught up in guns, shells, vests, gun dipping best camo  .... phone apps maps etc...

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 20, 2022, 10:12:40 PM
Good post Tom i so agree, i remember the days we were lucky to hear a couple gobblers a season. We were lucky just to find some gobblers to hunt... So many of these people are missing out on asking questions about how to just hunt these birds and challenges we faced. What we have experienced in chasing these gobblers. I feel we all have got caught up in guns, shells, vests, gun dipping best camo  .... phone apps maps etc...

You bet Greg, I am "Guilty as charged" on the equipment fetish. I love collecting anything Turkey, and am always striving to improve my equipment, hopefully resulting in clean, ethical harvests.....we all owe it to this beautiful quarry we all pursue......be safe.

owlhoot

Yep sure miss the good ole days. Before everybody and their brother started turkey hunting. Chasing the birds in 3 or more states, using YouTube spots along with every other advancement. 

bushangler

I was fortunate to be brought up into Turkey hunting in the good years! When I started I could walk on every inch of the 1800acre block behind my parents house and never have to worry about a property line. I could miss 3 birds in a day and still kill one. I would wear blue jeans and a hand me down woolrich flannel shirt. I shot a 20ga 870 wing master with a modified barrel.

I went through the days of carrying 10 calls and a 3.5" 12ga but have came back to a 20ga and carry a diaphragm and a slate call. I've also completely stopped hunting the farm country around the house and only chase them in the mountains. Turkey hunting to me is way more fun when you keep it simple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: bushangler on March 20, 2022, 11:47:50 PM
I was fortunate to be brought up into Turkey hunting in the good years! When I started I could walk on every inch of the 1800acre block behind my parents house and never have to worry about a property line. I could miss 3 birds in a day and still kill one. I would wear blue jeans and a hand me down woolrich flannel shirt. I shot a 20ga 870 wing master with a modified barrel.

I went through the days of carrying 10 calls and a 3.5" 12ga but have came back to a 20ga and carry a diaphragm and a slate call. I've also completely stopped hunting the farm country around the house and only chase them in the mountains. Turkey hunting to me is way more fun when you keep it simple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point, sometimes more can be too much....

TurkeyReaper69

Correct. Although this will likely never be addressed due to the fact it would make the choke/shell guys, the decoy guys, the pop up blind guys etc within the industry loose a lot of money. Even the NWTF and TFT are a lost cause with it. Nwtf still continues to pimp out the decoys and blinds at local banquets, they are in big with them as well as jerking them off in the Turkey Call magazine. I was told by an insider with TFT they'd be taking a stance on these controversial topics and so far I've just heard crickets. Sigh... oh well money, money, money.

Tom007

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 21, 2022, 07:35:13 AM
Correct. Although this will likely never be addressed due to the fact it would make the choke/shell guys, the decoy guys, the pop up blind guys etc within the industry loose a lot of money. Even the NWTF and TFT are a lost cause with it. Nwtf still continues to pimp out the decoys and blinds at local banquets, they are in big with them as well as jerking them off in the Turkey Call magazine. I was told by an insider with TFT they'd be taking a stance on these controversial topics and so far I've just heard crickets. Sigh... oh well money, money, money.

I am in favor of advancements in technology.  Technology has brought more opportunity to our sport regarding lighter gauge guns to be effective in taking turkeys by youngsters and others who in the past could not participate. It's nice to see our sport able to offer an abundance of options regarding hunting styles and equipment that participants can chose to utilize while enjoying time in the field.

Bowguy

Many hunters couldn't even use that technology without information. I believe in handing it down but when I started no one told you anything. That made learning curves hard. These newer hunters don't know how good they have it