turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to humanely finish a crippled bird

Started by mcw3734, March 20, 2022, 09:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

Had a situation last year with a bird I anchored, but was not dead. I ran up and put my foot on his head, but the soil was soft and it took longer than it should have. Any animal I hunt I want dead as quickly and humanely as possible, as I would hope we all do, and so this bothered me.

Anybody have a better way to handle this other than stepping on the head?

I did a little looking and found this video by a goose hunter, but it would probably work for us as well.

https://youtu.be/j_iS_dUiKCk

WV Flopper

Since you don't want to step on his head, I suggest you shoot him again, at closer range the second time.

Loyalist84

I've broken the necks of birds in my hands before, but I'd think a good heavy stone or a fishing "priest" would do the job as quickly as you could swing it.

Marc

A turkey is considerably larger than even a large goose...  I don't think you could get the momentum to dispatch a turkey the same way.

Typically, I have stepped on the head, reached down, and twisted the neck...

I started using product call The Finisher for waterfowl, and it works really well...  Tried it once last year for a turkey, and it was effective...  It is about the size of a house key, and the only issue with turkey hunting, is having it somewhere easily accessible (to finish a bird) and not loose it.

Ducks/geese have feathers, and bending the head makes it easier to use, but the lack of feathers on a turkey, makes it easier to find the insertion point quickly.  I stepped on his head, and inserted the device...

Honestly, every bird I shoot is still flopping around, and I generally break their necks, or as last year inserted the finisher, and the birds still keep flopping.  But, having watched "flopping" bird get up and walk away while hunting with (a very disappointed) friend, I take no chances, and nor do I want to chance a bird needlessly suffering even if it does not escape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SlvYafJOFs
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Tsgman

I have killed a lot of birds by breaking their necks like in the video.   FYI, If you spin them to many times their head pops off.  I normally hold the bird up in the air though.  I haven't tried it on the ground, but it would probably be lot easier with a big old Tom.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

I'm usually a foot on the throat and pull legs taut. I had a couple rock incidents go bad on soft ground. If I'm in a place where foot on the throat won't work nowadays I just wring it's neck like a chicken. All of this, of course, sounds horrible, and it is, but I'm with you on finishing things as quickly as possible. Most times, though, even when it seems long to us it's really not. I'd take a load of #4s to the face, a fierce flopping, and having my neck wrung in under 60 seconds to cancer any day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 20, 2022, 10:27:52 PM
I'm usually a foot on the throat and pull legs taut.

X2

Sounds a bit cruel.  But it's actually pretty quick.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zobo

I wouldn't recommend clubing a turkey, I've done it and it's ugly and not very effective. I have also used a knife to the neck which works well but you will get blood all over place so its not ideal especially if you want to mount  feathers. I've used that finisher on waterfowl a few years ago, never on turkeys but I dont see why it wouldn't work.  I agree we owe it to the animal to dispatch quickly but I really think direct hard pressure on the neck is just about the best thing you can do. 
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Big Jeremy

Foot on the neck and pull legs tight as Chester said, or if the ground is too soft/wet, hold it up by the neck tightly. Holding them by the neck seems just as quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TurkeyReaper69

Ring it's neck. Had to this weekend actually, wish I'd of had one of those trusty frying pans though... MTH guys will get it.

shatcher

Keep a couple of field loads in your pocket and shoot him again.  Handy for snakes too.

btodd00

I've always just grabbed them by neck and spun them a time or two, I do it without thinking just run right up and grab them all in one motion. Fastest way in my opinion but dont expect the flopping to stop immediately

bigriverbum

knife inserted at the bottom of the head and up into the brain.

only do this if the bird is still alive but somewhat docile/subdued.  don't want to be waving a knife around a bird kicking its legs and flopping its wings like crazy

i grew up with a buddy who watched too much of the pre-tv show duck commander videos and he'd actually bite down on duck heads to finish them off.

tazmaniac

I like to actually sit on the bird with wings tucked tight against the body, while firmly holding his throat.  As he let's air out, he can breathe anymore in, and chest keeps collapsing.  It may take 30s to a minute, but seems peaceful and respectful to the animal, while minimizing damage to plumage and risk of injury to myself from the bird thrashing around.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk