OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hot weather turkey vest?

Started by PaLmbHngr, March 20, 2022, 03:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaLmbHngr

Do you all have any recommendations for a vest for hot weather. Was hunting in Florida this weekend and my Limbhanger vest was hot and got heavy when soaked in sweat. It was 85 degrees. Would like to carry a water bladder if possible. Besides my Limbhanger I also have an MO Super Elite 2 but it is not as open. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Sanders153

I used to use a super elite 4 by alps, but found it pretty hot on warmer days. I got a Grounded vest now and can tell it will be cooler due to its openness, plus it is water bladder compatible

nyhunter

Alps long spur, is what I use if it gets hot, here in NY mine doesn't get much use

Dtrkyman

Real hot vest stays home!  I use an RNG 200.  If I needed to haul some stuff for an all day hunt or mountain hunt I use a hip pack.

Bottomland

Marsupial Gear Modular belt system with water bladder.  You can customize to carry what you want too.  Check out all the pictures.

https://www.marsupialgear.com/collections/modular-belt-system

FL-Boss

PaLmbHngr

Oljamo

South FL native here, I like a backpack personally. I can put my extra clothes in it and I just have my binoculars hangin off the front of me.  About as cool as you can get. Also bladder compatible.
Osceola headhunter

Greg Massey

Another option you could consider is a Glenda Green satchel... as many will tell you they have done away with the hot vest all together and use her hand made turkey satchel. It's waterproof material and made in the USA...

Notsoyoungturk

x 2 on the Glenda Green satchel.  I was hunting an Alps Long Spur and it easy to ventilate on hot days.  Had to unzip the fanny pack part because it was bulky.  Just purchased a Glenda Green bottomland minimalist.  It holds everything that my Alps vest would.  Flip it over my shoulder and take it off when I sit.  Easy access.  Throw it over my shoulder again if I have to run and gun.  JMO.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

PaLmbHngr

For those using the satchel, what do you do for a seat cushion? Thanks.

Notsoyoungturk

Apparently, I have gotten old and soft  :).  I love my turkey chair.  I have the uncanny ability to pick a tree that has a special knot or root that really likes to introduce itself after about 30 minutes of sitting.  If I think I am going to move a lot.  I have a seat that will strap around my waist.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Greg Massey

Quote from: PaLmbHngr on March 23, 2022, 12:55:50 PM
For those using the satchel, what do you do for a seat cushion? Thanks.
She makes a nice seat cushion that has the tire inner tube with a waterproof cover ...

ElkTurkMan

I always put my vest up and switch to Glenda's satchel when it get really hot here in GA.

maz7869

I started using a Knight and Hale Run and Gun 100, same size as a large bingo harness,  this year and like it alot more than my vest.  It's a very light chest rig and I clip a bottle to the side, while great for hunts if staying out all day I'd throw on my backpack as well.  I live and hunt in central Fl