OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good 'affordable' red dot sight

Started by tbowers, March 16, 2022, 10:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard black

TRS 25 has been reliable for me for the last 5 years. Very good quality for the price.

WildTigerTrout

Bushnell TRS 25.  I had one on my 20 ga. for several years.  Worked great with no problems.  I decided to scope it and replaced the TRS 25 with a Leupold VX I 1x4x shotgun scope. Nothing wrong with the Bushnell I just wanted a change.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

jhoward11

Muzzy 61, did you have to drill out to mount this on the 835 or were you able to just attach to the rail further up. I have been looking at a Burris fast fire, but would have to drill to mount.

tbowers

So how important is the parallax thing? The TruGlo says its up to 30 yds, while the Bushnells are up to 50. I know higher end ones claim 'parallax free' . Does it matter much?

btodd00

I shoot my AR 25-75 all the time and can't tell any difference in point of impact or sight picture (im not shooting at MOA sized targets or off a bench, this is just ringing steel)

I've had to make a lot of position adjustments to get shots off when it was on my turkey guns and never had any issues or put any thought into it

grayfox

Quote from: tbowers on March 17, 2022, 10:33:12 AM
So how important is the parallax thing? The TruGlo says its up to 30 yds, while the Bushnells are up to 50. I know higher end ones claim 'parallax free' . Does it matter much?

I never had any issues with parallax on the TruGlo. I've killed turkeys farther than I will say with no problems. The only issue I had with one was after 4-5 years hunting with it I started having some issues with it not staying on at times. I sent it in & they sent me a brand new one. They have a lifetime warranty unless they have changed it in the last few years. I been using them since 2013. I'm sure the Bushnell trs-25 is a better sight but it does cost more. Just depends on how much you want to spend. What I really love about the TruGlo is the broad range of the brightness setting. You can turn it way down at the break of morning or as high as you need it in bright sunshine. Most others I have used is too bright for me in early morning.

Big Jeremy

Others have already mentioned it, but for an "affordable" red dot that is built like a tank and will never give you any problems, I think you need look no further than a Bushnell TRS-25.

tbowers

Quote from: Big Jeremy on March 17, 2022, 01:10:19 PM
Others have already mentioned it, but for an "affordable" red dot that is built like a tank and will never give you any problems, I think you need look no further than a Bushnell TRS-25.

I just think I might like the reflex style red dot more then the tube style in the TRS25.  I havent used either but it sure would seem like it would be a lot quicker for target acquisition in the reflex style versus the tube style but maybe its not much of a difference. I would assume on the tube style you need to have the proper eye relief to see the full picture, same as your typical rifle scope? 

CALLM2U

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on March 16, 2022, 10:54:04 AM
The Bushnell RXS-100 is about $100 and it's a fine red dot. https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-RXS100-Reflex-Sight_RXS100/dp/B08DL8M2PB/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?keywords=bushnell+red+dot&qid=1647442397&sr=8-16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I love my Fastfires, this has been a very reliable sight for me-both on pistols and shotguns.

I tried the tube style sights and just never could get used to them. 

tbowers

I did end up just ordering the TruGlo from Amazon and the weaver mount plate that fits my gun. We'll see how it goes, appreciate everyones input. Should be a upgrade from my basic TruGlo fiber optic open sights I have used the last few years

tnanh

Quote from: Muzzy61 on March 16, 2022, 10:55:06 AM
I've had good luck with the Bushnell TRS-25.  Had one on top of my 835 shooting 3.5" shells for the last 4 years with no issue.

I have two TRS 25 and never a problem.

ssramage

I bought a TRS-25 this year for an AR and have not been impressed. Shot it one day for sight in, took it out a few weeks later for a hog hunt and it's totally dead now. Assuming the batteries are shot already.

For the difference of about $100, I'm going Burris Fastfire every time. My primary gun has had a FFII for nearly 10 years and I'm replacing the battery this year as a precaution only. As few shot opportunities as we get each spring, I'd hate to be reliant on a cheaper sight over $100 difference. I'll spend more than that in gas on a weekend of hunting.

cuppednlocked

Natchez just sold a Bushnell AR Advance Micro Reflex sight for $39.99 + shipping.  Can be found on Amazon for $133.99.

No longer on sale but this was the model:

https://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-ar-advance-micro-reflex-red-dot-sight-5-moa-red-dot-black-matte.html

greencop01

The ARO AT3, a reflex sight will fit on a shotgun W/a sight mount and sells for about $135.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

mountainhunter1

The Bushnell TRS-25 is a good choice.

Another great option for the money, and with a lifetime transferable warranty and excellent customer service is the AT3 RD-50 Micro Red Dot Reflex Sight. It can be bought for 79.00 and with free shipping.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13