turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Merriam hunt flying to Denver…

Started by southerndrawlgamecalls, March 14, 2022, 09:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southerndrawlgamecalls

Cheap flight into Denver has me going west for a merriams. Considered the Pine Ridge of Nebraska, but what would be the shortest drive and best hunting on public?

SD_smith

Just some advice...don't ask for good public land areas on your very first post to the forum. Not many members will appreciate what seems to be a lack of doing your own homework.

Have you travelled out west much before? Public land is a plenty. Reference each states bird outlooks or studies they have done recently. Pick out a neat spot and study it. Go give it a try and if it doesn't produce start driving. That's the beauty of out west. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD_smith

You just asked for the shortest drive and best hunting on public? Only a few words short of, "Tell me where you've killed birds at." You're not the first to try it. Put in the work like the rest of us.

SD_smith

What happens if someone tells you an area? If it's posted on the forum it'll be bombarded before middle of the season I can guarantee. If it gets PM'd to you, then does that knowledge stay with you or go to all of your buddies as well and somehow a location gets plastered on Instagram or Facebook.

Yoder409

Quote from: SD_smith on March 14, 2022, 09:39:36 PMReference each states bird outlooks or studies they have done recently. Pick out a neat spot and study it. Go give it a try and if it doesn't produce start driving. That's the beauty of out west. Good luck.

I just did a quick Google-fu of public turkey hunting opportunities in that area.  There's more public land to hunt turkeys within 4 hours drive of Denver than a guy could hunt for the rest of his life...........if he lived to be 400 years old.

Few phone calls to about 3 states' DNR's and you'd narrow your search.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

SD_smith

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 14, 2022, 10:39:13 PM
Quote from: SD_smith on March 14, 2022, 09:39:36 PMReference each states bird outlooks or studies they have done recently. Pick out a neat spot and study it. Go give it a try and if it doesn't produce start driving. That's the beauty of out west. Good luck.

I just did a quick Google-fu of public turkey hunting opportunities in that area.  There's more public land to hunt turkeys within 4 hours drive of Denver than a guy could hunt for the rest of his life...........if he lived to be 400 years old.

Few phone calls to about 3 states' DNR's and you'd narrow your search.
This guy gets it!

JohnSouth22

Around derby lake to the NE of Denver has always been a steady producer in recent years

turkeyfool

I'd honestly be very curious if Southerndrawlgamecalls saw pinhotti's Colorado videos? 90% chance?

joey46

Have researched the fly into Denver thing several times but have yet to commit.  My plan was to head north into an adjoining state and wander some big national forest.  Good luck.

GobbleNut

I have never hunted in the Denver area personally, but I know a couple of individuals and have read reports from a few others that have indicated the birds are few and far between in that area on public land.  I am sure there are pockets that are good IF you know where those are at, but I think going in blind and finding one of those pockets would probably be a real challenge unless you have a lot of time to invest in doing that. 

If you are after a true Merriam's gobbler, you should probably do a bit of research on where you can actually find one.  There is a lot of hybridization going on in that region, I believe, at least along the line where the eastern plains meet the Rockies. Personally, I believe there are a lot of folks that think they are hunting Merriam's gobblers that are actually hunting hybrids in a lot of places. That really shouldn't matter, but IF you are looking for a, quote, "pure" Merriam's gobbler, consider where you are headed very carefully.

Good luck to you wherever you end up going!   :icon_thumright:

N2TRKYS

The flights may be cheap, but the rental vehicle ain't. 
83% of all statistics are made up.

joey46

The cost of rental cars was a deal breaker for me last year.  Denver was a better deal than Rapid City SD.  In Rapid City it may have been cheaper to buy one.  Insane.

RS

I checked the Denver prices for a 4wd SUV for 6 days in May last month and it was a little over $1,000.

joey46

$1000 rental cars would be another deal breaker for me.  I check several buyer's clubs, AARP, AAA, etc and then decide.  Five dollar gas plus motels makes a 1200 x 2 mile road trip almost as bad. Hate to say "wait until next year" but probably will.  Grr!

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: JohnSouth22 on March 14, 2022, 10:42:45 PM
Around derby lake to the NE of Denver has always been a steady producer in recent years
Saw your comment and thought "mannnn this MF" then looked it up, yep Derby lake it is