Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is the creepiest/spooking thing you came across in the turkey woods...

Started by Sanders153, March 10, 2022, 09:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

Was once down in a creek bottom late one morning in MS trying to strike up a bird when I looked up and right beside me there was a tire swing hanging from a very old rope. Very old tire. This was a mile or more from a dead end, desolate road in the middle of the woods. Nothing else around. Kinda spooked me.

Also, had a deer lease that would be considered more or less an urban deer lease close to the house but about 100 acre chunk of timber that I bow hunted more so out of convenience than trophy hunting. Walked to very corner of it one day and stumbled into an extremely old graveyard of pre-civil war head stones. Many of them very elegant with inscriptions. Some of them were broken but many were in good shape all things considered. I found myself going to each one and reading the names and dates. Also kinda spooky.

Wvdanimal

30ft of black alligator water in south Florida between me and a dead gobbler w no way around it.  This was just last week. I thought can't be that bad right?  Waist deep maybe, wrong!  2nd step I went in over my head.  Never pounded water so hard in my life!  I don't know if I was more happy that I reached the bird or more horrified that I had to turn around and do it again!

TonyTurk

Hunting on private with a buddy several years ago.  Decided to take a break for lunch, arrived back to the truck about noon.  We noticed a strange looking critter a ways off, we couldn't tell what it was, but it was coming toward us.  When it got close we could see it was a young pup with his head stuck in a plastic peanut butter jar.  No idea how long he had that jar stuck on his head. 

It took almost 30 minutes of tugging before I finally got that jar off his head.  We gave him some water and fed him some peanut butter cookies my buddy's wife had made for us.  He gobbled them down, drank his water, and went on his way.

rifleman

One spring I was hunting ground that I had not been on before.  I was following an old road in the woods and came upon the intersection of maybe four roads.  Once in the opening I began to see doll babies of all types hung and nailed to trees.  It looked like one of those places on tv where satonic rituals would take place.  Seemed kind of odd but nothing dead or alive appeared to mess with me.

Turkeyman

Several years ago was hunting in a public ground area in NY. Came across an area about twenty feet in diameter...dependent upon available trees...whereas someone(s) had gone around and around with binder twine enclosing the area. Were a number of huge oaks there and, up in the large limbs, there were four or five plywood cutouts of humans placed there. Eerie...obviously some cult or such.

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Zobo on March 10, 2022, 11:20:21 PM
Last season I heard a sound far ahead of me on a path so I quickly sat and started the usual yelping routine. After a while of no luck I turned to my right and noticed what appeared to be a dead fawn laying right next to me. I was quite startled by the sight so I jumped up. I noticed its eyes were wide open so I gently touched its neck to see if it was alive. It didn't move at all so I walked off a little saddened. About 2 minutes later I walked back to the spot because I had forgotten my hat and the baby deer was gone. I'm assuming it was playing possum and the initial sound I heard was the fawn's mother. It did creep me out a little at first but I thought it was a pretty cool thing to see happen.
Very cool Zebo!

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: bear hunter on March 12, 2022, 12:46:32 AM
Walked up on a very large woman with her pants down pooping miles deep in a wilderness area.
That sounds down right traumatizing, are you ok?

Beards and Hooks

Great stories, though I have never had anything really creepy happen. Walking out in a pitch dark field and getting to close to some deer that you had no idea are there and having them blow at you from what sounds like way to close always gets my attention, has happened numerous times in turkey season. I am betting just about everyone's here has experienced it, it wakes you up a bit if your still groggy for sure.

owlhoot

Quote from: Beards and Hooks on March 12, 2022, 05:34:40 PM
Quote from: Zobo on March 10, 2022, 11:20:21 PM
Last season I heard a sound far ahead of me on a path so I quickly sat and started the usual yelping routine. After a while of no luck I turned to my right and noticed what appeared to be a dead fawn laying right next to me. I was quite startled by the sight so I jumped up. I noticed its eyes were wide open so I gently touched its neck to see if it was alive. It didn't move at all so I walked off a little saddened. About 2 minutes later I walked back to the spot because I had forgotten my hat and the baby deer was gone. I'm assuming it was playing possum and the initial sound I heard was the fawn's mother. It did creep me out a little at first but I thought it was a pretty cool thing to see happen.
Very cool Zebo!

BIG FOOT have a way of mesmerizing their prey !

bear hunter

Quote from: Beards and Hooks on March 12, 2022, 06:12:08 PM
Quote from: bear hunter on March 12, 2022, 12:46:32 AM
Walked up on a very large woman with her pants down pooping miles deep in a wilderness area.
That sounds down right traumatizing, are you ok?
I havent been the same since.

AppalachianHollers

Scouting an archery draw unit in Tennessee, I came across scores of fish carcasses. They were mostly large catfish. I was at least 300 yards from the nearest water, on a hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raven105

Just last year, hunting my own property during turkey season, I walked up an access road early one foggy morning towards a gobbling turkey. At the top of a roadside embankment sat a clown doll, eerily similar to the Saw doll for those that are familiar with the movie series. The doll was sitting upright on a small tree, like a hunter waiting on an incoming bird and facing the road. It's clothing was pristine and shiny.  It was as if it was dropped there out of the sky just before I arrived. Since I had a gobbling turkey up ahead, I took only a few moments to take in the bizarre experience and continued on.  My hunt led me away from this road that day.  But I came back the next day and the doll was gone. 

Now I fully understand the possibility of some kids riding ATVs and throwing the doll out as a prank or something of the sort.  But this location is far from a well traveled road. My property is not part of a hunting club.  No houses nearby. The road doesn't lead to anywhere.  It's not a throughway to somewhere else.  The fact that this doll disappeared in less than 24 hours just adds to the weirdness of the whole experience. 

Mountainburd

This happened to a buddy who is not a member.  He was 2 miles deep into public land in PA a few years ago when he encountered a completely naked guy walking the opposite direction on the trail.  They passed each other without saying a word. People are weird.....

Will

Fellas....this is why I won't bow hunt for turkeys...woman making mud pies....old man walking out of no where and naked people deep in the woods! It's comforting knowing I carry a 12 guage...hahahahaha

Cowboy

Okay. Here goes. Honestly dont remember telling very many ever about this. Several years ago, I bet over 15 years or so maybe longer my wife and I were riding horses near our place on public land. Not many close houses nearby. However up creek there was a big piece of private land owned by a wealthy orthopedic surgeon from out of state. He always had a big bunch of guys come up to deer hunt each year. Anyways we were riding along on the public and I was up on the ridge looking down towards the creek. Open woods as it was before spring green up. I noticed something looking out of place stuck in a drift log jam in the creek. I had to go look and believe me I was not expecting anything like this! I grabbed ahold of it and pulled out A LIFE SIZE BLOW UP DOLL THAT SOMEONE WOULD HAVE BOUGHT AT AN ADULT STORE!!!  Dont know if it came from the deer camp up creek or if someone tossed it off the bridge crossing the creek or what! We were stunned to say the least. We never laughed so hard on our lives. I thought NOBODY will ever believe this!! So then I thought I'd haul it out of the woods and not leave it there. Then immediately thought how the heck would I explain me riding a horse out in the National Forest and someone seeing me with this blow up doll on back of my horse!!! Lol left it right there and never went back but we laughed all the way back home. Honest true story guys.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk