turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vest Old and New Style and Satchel

Started by Greg Massey, March 10, 2022, 11:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Who remembers when you first started turkey hunting you really didn't have a so-called turkey vest? You either had a homemade bag with shoulder carry strap or one of those squirrel hunting vests of some kind. Most of your camo was woodland camo if you could find it at an army surplus store. You were lucky to have a few homemade calls and just a plain shotgun and shells of some sort.  WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST REAL TURKEY VEST ?  Mine was one of those old Lynch style vests. I think at the time it was like around 30 dollars. Now i see posts on the forum people buying and asking about vests that cost anywhere from 100 dollars or even 200 dollars plus for a vest and they say they only carry 2 - 3 calls during the season. What's the purpose of the vest if you're not going to utilize the vest to its potential? Is it just more for looks and saying you have an expensive vest because of name and seat cushion.  My 30 dollar Lynch style vest served me well for many years and the seat cushion was about 3/4 thick.. OMG.... So is it more about the hype or just because we can afford the 150 - 200 dollar plus vest? I will say the most I've ever paid for something to carry my turkey hunting gear out in the field is my Glenda Green satchel that i use now. This should be a fun post... opinions on why you think you need that expensive name VEST most all are made in china...

Yoder409

My first vest is still here somewhere, I think.

It was a Walls 10X in Realtree Brown Leaf
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Ozarks Hillbilly

I am too poor to buy cheap. I can only afford to purchase something once so I tend to spend the extra money that quality products cost. I also try to by products made in the USA when they are available.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

7shooter

My first vest was a Lynch in Trebark, still have it. Before that I carried a Jet Slate and couple Perfection mouth calls in my pocket. Crazy what shells, calls, camo, and vest cost these days.

OJR

I used to carry an old binocular case on my belt. I had a pot call, strikers, a few shotgun shells, a small bottle of water and maybe a pack of crackers. Mouth calls were in my shirt pocket. Now I have an Alps vest with an extra 40lbs of stuff I really don't use that often. I still have that case. And every time I see it in the closet I wonder why I don't still use it.

callmakerman

My first vest was a Lynch in the trebark pattern. Still have it and use it every spring while scouting.

Haypatch

My first was a primos Gobbler vest  that i used for many yrs till it developed some holes and rips... Im using a Alps Grand Slam now.

Tom007

Good one Greg. I started Turkey hunting in 1984. This was just before the present camo clothing came out, Trebark by Jim Crumley came out in 85, 86. The rest is history. I remember my first Turkey clothing was a Tiger Stripe Military CPO Jacket and pants. I started out with the mouth diaphragm and a Lynch 102 box call. I kept everything in the jacket, it had great pockets. I had a foam cushion that had a strap that was my seat. My first vest was a Walls Trebark Strap vest I got in around 1985/86. It had an attached flop down seat that was about an inch thick. I thought it was the greatest. Looking back, that thing was very uncomfortable. Fast forward to today, I like most of us on the forum have tried several vest/satchel set-ups. I myself like a vest, due to the fact that the seat moves right with you, and my gear is organized at my finger-tips. I do also like the satchel/bag set-up with an external seat. Today I have settled on 3 set-ups. A Russell Limbhanger vest, a Cabelas Half-Vest Speed seat, and a Mossy Oak Hybrid Elite Jacket with an attached seat. I use them all throughout the year depending on conditions and type of hunt.The mystical search for the perfect Vest/Satchel set-up will always be out there for most of us, but for right now I think I have my needs covered....

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

My first turkey huntin vest was a dove vest in realtree with black shoulder straps. I still have it.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

paboxcall

Quote from: MISSISSIPPI Double beard on March 10, 2022, 02:52:03 PM
My first turkey huntin vest was a dove vest in realtree with black shoulder straps. I still have it.

Same here. Mine was late 1990s, a back shoulder strap vest in the early Realtree green pattern from Walmart, with a zip on/off game bag. Two big bellow zippered pockets on each side. Still have it, its my dedicated fall turkey vest.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

btodd00

My first was a Realtree hardwoods pattern bulky thing with a sewn on cushion that you couldn't adjust enough to not pull down on your shoulders while you were sitting. There were only a couple pockets but they were so large you could stuff a turkey on each side pocket and one in the game bag in the back if the morning happened to get eventful lol My dad got one for me and him but im not sure where it came from

Several years later I ended up with the original primos gobbler vest in obsession (also from my dad). I felt like I was the real deal then, I didn't even have stuff to go in all those pockets. I still have it but dont take enough stuff with me now to use one with that much storage, I have moved to chest packs/small vests

gmbellew

I have an old redhead vest from the mid 90s that let me put calls somewhere besides my pockets. my second vest was a limbhanger. I tried a variety of satchels, sling bags, and fanny packs over the last 5 or 6 years. I am going back to the limbhanger this year, although I almost went back to my original Redhead...it really has a decent layout also. It isn't as good as the limbhabger, though.

jmart241

Mine was a 10x realtree still have its rough shape found a mint one at yard sale got it for 3.00

762hunter

My first was a Russel vest that a buddy gave 'e/handed down. Wasn't a turkey vest specifically.
I bought an Ol Tom when they came out then upgraded to that Nomad vest when they first launched.
That's the most I've spent on one.
Last year I switched the the Glenda Green satchel and man-O-man I love that thing and have ditched the vest.

Good topic for discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Have owned 2 turkey vests in 20 years. A Cabelas brand was my first and i gave that away some dozen or so years ago. Got a Russell super elite 3 when I gave my first vest away and that is still my main vest. However last year I took over my boys cabelas minimalist vest he used to use until he got taller and fatter. I haven't worn it hunting yet but I think it will be my backup.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club