OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ol Tom Gunslinger Vest

Started by Mobeardhunter, March 08, 2022, 11:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I have one and for the most part , Im satisfied with it. The cushion and back padding lacks something to be desired , but the fit , weight and pocket layout seems pretty good to me. Im waiting on the grounded vest in bottomland to come back in stock. I will be getting one of those as well. Wanting to rotate them and will use them both.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Hobbes

Quote from: REBELYELL on March 21, 2022, 10:39:16 PM
Quote from: Hobbes on March 21, 2022, 08:44:12 PM
Does it not have a chest strap between the shoulder straps?

Does not.

That's an immediate negative. 
Every Ol Tom that I've ever had a chance to hold seemed cheap.  I tried on the latest Cabela's and Basspro has cheapened them also.  I'll probably just keep on with what I've been using. 

SCSWAMP

Hunted with mine for the first time this morning here in SC. Unfortunately no blood was shed. First review. I'm a smaller guy. 5'8 160 lbs and its pretty baggy on me. Definitely like the fit of my M cabelas super tat'r 2 better. It is not water bladder compatible with is kind of a let down for me. My right shoulder which I carry my gun on was starting to hurt, not sure if it is related to the thin rubber strap with the weight of the gun on it or just not carrying a gun on my shoulder for a year. My butt went numb after sitting for 20 minutes. Other than that, the layout is decent. I will hold onto it for when my cabelas super tat'r finally kicks the bucket but will not be using this year.

ssramage

Quote from: SCSWAMP on March 22, 2022, 07:01:07 PM
Hunted with mine for the first time this morning here in SC. Unfortunately no blood was shed. First review. I'm a smaller guy. 5'8 160 lbs and its pretty baggy on me. Definitely like the fit of my M cabelas super tat'r 2 better. It is not water bladder compatible with is kind of a let down for me. My right shoulder which I carry my gun on was starting to hurt, not sure if it is related to the thin rubber strap with the weight of the gun on it or just not carrying a gun on my shoulder for a year. My butt went numb after sitting for 20 minutes. Other than that, the layout is decent. I will hold onto it for when my cabelas super tat'r finally kicks the bucket but will not be using this year.

Thanks for the field use review. I'll stick with my Nomad MG this season I guess.

Lucky Goose

Was really hoping to hear the adjustability and fit was better.  I like a tight, high riding vest and those are hard to come by for some reason.  Thank you all for the reviews, saved me some time and money here.

Stick

I haven't worn mine hunting yet, but found it adjusts enough to fit me at 5'-10" and 160#.  I also have a Camelback bladder that fits center pocket inside the game pouch.  I took the spine pad out of a Ol Tom tech 1/4 zip and it fits in there too.  I'm going to try it this weekend. 

It won't adjust as small as the RNG 300 but much smaller than the Grounded vest. 

REBELYELL

I've been hunting with mine since beginning of our MS season. I was hoping it would grow on me, but I just can't warm up to it. I love the straps, the Greenleaf pattern and the overall weight. The seat and back cushion could be better, especially the seat cushion. I just don't like the layout of the compartments and pockets. The box call pocket is not big enough to hold anything other than my Albert Paul pocket call. The striker holders are not very secure. I have been lucky not to lose a striker yet because I have found the magnetized flaps popped open. It doesn't really have a good pocket for a Thermacell. I sometimes carry a wing with me and the internal pockets are not deep enough to hold it and get it zipped close. The pot call holders are okay, but I have seen pictures of the cord keeping them closed breaking or coming apart. I would love to have a vest laid out like my original Super Elite 3 but with straps. I love the internal box call pocket and the internal striker holders that snap shut. Each slot actually holds two strikers, making it easy to tote six. I always carry a Mac Ebony, Rutland Dymondwood and Snakewood striker and a magnet keeping them in my possession just doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. I even like the layout of the Longbeard Super Elite, but it just feels cheaply made. I might sell my Gunslinger after season, just don't feel like emptying it right now. I hate changing vests, reminds me of getting a new boat or truck and everything is not laid out like the previous one. I knew where everything was located in my Super Elite 3, from a sanding stone to a piece of pool cue chalk. Now I have to search and try to remember where everything is located. Rant over.

Howie g

I used mine this whole ms / la season .  The fit is good , although even at 6,1 215lbs , I had to cinch the straps all the way in to fit me snug . It's light weight , quite. The seat magnets hold well , but the seat is not very dense . The game bag seems smaller then it should be . One of the pot call straps is already coming apart .
Over all I like the lay out , but it lacks the quality of nomads , alps etc .  I rate it a 6 out of 10 . 

TonyTurk

I will add my 2 cents as an owner of this vest.

Love the pockets.  The number, size, and layout of the pockets is darn near perfect, IMO.
The material is soft and quiet.  The vest is lightweight and is good for hot days.  The vest seems to be well made and should hold up for several seasons.  The fit is good.  I am 6 ft 220 lbs and the vest fits me just right, although I do have it cinched down about as far as it will go.  I can see where it would be too large for someone smaller than me.

The magnets that hold the butt pad up are terrific!  Which brings me to the one big negative- the butt pad itself.  The pad is not dense at all.  It's not much better than sitting straight on the ground.  This isn't a deal-breaker for me, because most of the time I take a turkey chair and leave the butt pad at home.  BUT...if you are going to charge $170 for a turkey vest, it should have a good, thick butt pad for that price.  Ol Tom missed the mark here.

It's a shame, because Ol Tom would have hit a home run with this vest, with a better butt pad.  Instead they hit a ground-rule double.  A good, solid vest that I will continue to use.  But if you don't take a turkey chair and instead rely on the butt pad to keep you comfortable, you will probably want to spend your money on something else.

7shooter

I've been wearing mine for couple weeks and I love mine. Pocket layout is the most important thing to me and I love the way it is designed. I carry 5 pot calls so the double pot call holder made me upgrade from the easy rider vest. The seat magnet has improved is much better then the easy rider vest.  It's not perfect and no vest ever will be but again I'm very pleased.