turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ol Tom Gunslinger Vest

Started by Mobeardhunter, March 08, 2022, 11:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

Curious to know about the fit too. That's always the problem with OSFM vests.  I'm 5'11" 160 and myNomad vest is pretty big on me but I like the layout.

mullet dredge

Quote from: RiverRoost on March 20, 2022, 10:49:35 AM
Curious to know about the fit too. That's always the problem with OSFM vests.  I'm 5'11" 160 and myNomad vest is pretty big on me but I like the layout.

I got the Gunslinger in last week. I am similar build as you just a little shorter. The Gunslinger definitely fits me better than any of the other vests I have either tried on or bought and immediately sold. Definitely not as well fitting as my S/M Cabelas Tater I have used for years but the Gunslinger is a step in the right direction for me at least.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Bolandstrutters on March 19, 2022, 12:45:52 PM
How does the gunslinger fit?  I know some of ol tom vest in the past haven't been able to snug up for us skinny guys.

Runs a little big on my Son 6'1" 195. Took some strap manipulating. Early season in the north east with a jacket underneath perfect. Late season, a little loose is my take. Definitely a nice vest.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

aclawrence

If a vest is too big for a 6'1" 200 lb man whose it going to fit. I understand one size fits most. Somebody this size should fit into that category. Unfortunately I'm much smaller so it will be a no go for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chief Razor

Ive been interested in this vest since the first time I had seen it on the website. I currently have a Alps grand slam that like most others have said feels big. I dont mind the pockets, the layout, really other then the fit im not dissatisfied with the Alps, although it is stiff. This seems a little more simple and streamlined. Im curious about the shoulder straps, do the seem like a cheap answer to a claw sling modification or are they legit substantial straps?  Wondering if the gunslinger is a worth while upgrade?

3bailey3

looks like they all sold out again.

St. Augustine Strutter

I was in the same boat as you. I have the grand slam but ordered the gunslinger to try out. After feeling it and trying it on I sent it back for a refund. While the grand slam is a substantial vest that can certainly be hot on warm days, the gunslinger was just too thin and felt cheap to me.

The pros, straps are pretty nice but definitely not claw quality. I liked the layout somewhat as well.

The cons, it's fits kind of big, I am 220 lbs and had the buckles cinched all the way down. The fabric is cheap feeling and the vest has no structure to it. Just flimsy all around.  And worst of all, the removable back pad might as well not even be there. It's like they bought the absolute cheapest foam they could find and just threw it in there so they could say it has "padded back support"

Not a horrible vest I guess but it doesn't hold up to the grand slam in my opinion.

Quote from: Chief Razor on March 20, 2022, 05:30:55 PM
Ive been interested in this vest since the first time I had seen it on the website. I currently have a Alps grand slam that like most others have said feels big. I dont mind the pockets, the layout, really other then the fit im not dissatisfied with the Alps, although it is stiff. This seems a little more simple and streamlined. Im curious about the shoulder straps, do the seem like a cheap answer to a claw sling modification or are they legit substantial straps?  Wondering if the gunslinger is a worth while upgrade?

Chief Razor

Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on March 20, 2022, 09:03:11 PM
I was in the same boat as you. I have the grand slam but ordered the gunslinger to try out. After feeling it and trying it on I sent it back for a refund. While the grand slam is a substantial vest that can certainly be hot on warm days, the gunslinger was just too thin and felt cheap to me.

The pros, straps are pretty nice but definitely not claw quality. I liked the layout somewhat as well.

The cons, it's fits kind of big, I am 220 lbs and had the buckles cinched all the way down. The fabric is cheap feeling and the vest has no structure to it. Just flimsy all around.  And worst of all, the removable back pad might as well not even be there. It's like they bought the absolute cheapest foam they could find and just threw it in there so they could say it has "padded back support"

Not a horrible vest I guess but it doesn't hold up to the grand slam in my opinion.

Quote from: Chief Razor on March 20, 2022, 05:30:55 PM

Thank you. Glad I held off, makes the decision easy.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: aclawrence on March 20, 2022, 05:09:04 PM
If a vest is too big for a 6'1" 200 lb man whose it going to fit. I understand one size fits most. Somebody this size should fit into that category. Unfortunately I'm much smaller so it will be a no go for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm 6'2 and 225 pounds and I had to adjust the straps a bit but it fits me perfectly. Although I wish I was a little shorter and about 50 pounds lighter I think I'd be a more effective turkey killer. But I get around good, not the sneakiest fella. Anyways vest fits me like a glove. A friend of mine whose around 5'10 170 pounds has one as well. Hung out with him yesterday and he said he loves his.

Bolandstrutters

Yeah I'm 6'3 a buck 85 so I'll likely swim in it.  Wish ol' tom would offer two size options or at least make it to fit athletic builds. 

FL-Boss

I don't understand why these vest makers think every turkey hunter on the planet is 6'8 and 350lbs.  I'm a regular size dude and 90% of vests on the market swallow me.  I'm glad I have enough great-fitting RNG 300 vests to last me 10+ years...

Fl strutter

I'm 5 10 170 pounds and i had to tighten up straps and it fits me perfectly like I'd like a vest to. I love the layout and its very light. The straps are great to me The back padding isn't great at all also the strikers will push out slots a little when vest bends. Other than that I like it. Was running the nomad vest but kinda leaning towards the gunslinger.

Hobbes

Does it not have a chest strap between the shoulder straps?

St. Augustine Strutter

If I can remember correctly, I don't believe so

Quote from: Hobbes on March 21, 2022, 08:44:12 PM

REBELYELL

Quote from: Hobbes on March 21, 2022, 08:44:12 PM

Does not.