OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box calls lids getting slick

Started by Txag12, March 06, 2022, 09:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HookedonHooks

A truly world class call that comes out of Marlin or TJ's shop does not NEED chalk. They add chalk to their calls to help improve playability for the average user. A call without continuous chalking can be much more finicky, which requires more finesse, but it also gets much softer much easier. 

In fact, I'd consider a box that NEEDS chalk (other than hen boxes) to not be a very good call in comparison to one that doesn't, because it's using a crutch in the chalk. A weak point of the call being supported by the chalk

The chalk on the lid will be the first thing to grab any moisture when out hunting in the elements changing your calls tone. I want as little of it on my boxes as possible. Having a call that truly runs as effective without chalk is what you should strive for when picking up a box at a show.

culpeper

"world class" ...guess all those other box call builders should close up their shops ;D   As I mentioned, this IS subjective and therefore there are many different views, but then that's what this is all about.

Sir-diealot

Question, I have never heard the term "Angel Wings" when referring to box calls, would somebody please explain if it is not going to pull this off topic. If it is please just drop me a message. Thank you.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

vt35mag

Angel wings

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: vt35mag on March 08, 2022, 09:28:35 AM
Angel wings

Great example ... i bet with the mix of red and white your pulling some great tones off those rails ... World Class Angle Wings

Sir-diealot

Angel wings

Thank you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

culpeper

culpeper

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 08, 2022, 09:42:42 AM
Angel wings

Great example ... i bet with the mix of red and white your pulling some great tones off those rails ... World Class Angle Wings

OH....too funny :TooFunny:

HookedonHooks

Quote from: culpeper on March 08, 2022, 08:41:58 AM
"world class" ...guess all those other box call builders should close up their shops ;D
Not what I was implying at all Scott. Sorry if it came off that way, I just personally prefer a fiddle over a cost  style so that was my example. Many other makers put out world class calls that don't NEED chalk too. The best of the best send calls out of their shops often that aren't always necessarily world class, but they're always turkey and will hunt. 

This is taking the thread a different direction, but I find people often look at a call maker for the best call they've ever made, and ignore the worst. Someone once told me, "A call maker is only as good as his worst call he has let leave the shop." In ways this isn't entirely true as call makers can progress and better their craft, so their worst shouldn't be their entire judgment, but it is certainly something to consider.

culpeper

Quote from: HookedonHooks on March 08, 2022, 10:01:00 AM
Quote from: culpeper on March 08, 2022, 08:41:58 AM
"world class" ...guess all those other box call builders should close up their shops ;D
Not what I was implying at all. Sorry if it came off that way, I just personally prefer a fiddle over a cost  style so that was my example. Many other makers put out world class calls that don't NEED chalk too. The best of the best send calls out of their shops often that aren't always necessarily world class, but they're always turkey and will hunt. 

This is taking the thread a different direction, but I find people often look at a call maker for the best call they've ever made, and ignore the worst. Someone once told me, "A call maker is only as good as his worst call he has let leave the shop." In ways this isn't entirely true as call makers can progress and better their craft, so their worst shouldn't be their entire judgment, but it is certainly something to consider.

I completely understand...just had to poke the bear...just a little. ;)  You are right with respect to other callmakers and often, though incorrectly and undeserved, something less than a good callmakers best is still very good and I suspect for many callmakers, at least it is for me, we are all trying to progress and get better, and some of us do that with age :D  Good luck this season.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: culpeper on March 08, 2022, 10:18:18 AM
I completely understand...just had to poke the bear...just a little. ;)  You are right with respect to other callmakers and often, though incorrectly and undeserved, something less than a good callmakers best is still very good and I suspect for many callmakers, at least it is for me, we are all trying to progress and get better, and some of us do that with age :D  Good luck this season.
Good luck to you too Scott! You're certainly a maker in that conversation and I meant nothing negative in my original comment. I just don't favor Cost style calls personally, as there's obviously nothing wrong with them otherwise they wouldn't be being made still, it's just me that's the weird one.

It's not news to you obviously, as you seem to share similar belief, but I will weigh in on that "better" is very subjective to the turkey we all have in our heads at that time and that's what's great about it all. I find that perspective changes over time, for everyone, especially you call makers when tuning a call. So your progression of better is even subjective determinant upon the current turkey living in your head. Something that sounds bad to one guy, may be great to another; and what sounded good one day to you might not a few months later. I feel like turkeys are the same as us in that respect as well, we all hear and say things a little differently.

Greg Massey

It's amazing playing and listening to the different sounds and tones you get from playing a variety of calls. Different calls from different builds all have a different turkey in the box. I often tell people that's the beauty and history of the call. I enjoy playing them all regardless. Take for instant Roger Parks makes an awesome aluminum lid long box and now has perfected a short handle box with aluminum lid , if you haven't tried one i suggest at some point you do. Again it's all a matter of preference in what you want to play and the sounds you are looking for in a call.  Everyone has made some good comments and that's what this forum is all about sharing opinions and hunting gobblers. Again the angle wings are priceless with or without chalk.. I agree we got a little side tracked from chalk on the lids or not, but all of these posts share a common relationship.  Again great post everyone...

packmule

I've never held one of Roger's calls, but am curious.  Do the aluminum lids need to be chalked?  I've heard soundfiles and those lids make a call sound good.  Just never heard about chalk or not.

Greg Massey

Quote from: packmule on March 08, 2022, 11:17:42 AM
I've never held one of Roger's calls, but am curious.  Do the aluminum lids need to be chalked?  I've heard soundfiles and those lids make a call sound good.  Just never heard about chalk or not.
Yes they require chalk.. he will tell you how to care for these calls ... his new short handle call is awesome.. he just posted up a few for sale on his Facebook page and some sound files ..

packmule