OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Laser bore sight for shotgun

Started by mcw3734, February 28, 2022, 02:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

Does anybody have any experience using a laser bore sight to dial in their turkey gun's scope or red dot? Can you recommend a certain brand, or ones to avoid ?

I've never used one on any firearm. If they work for shotguns, I'm curious what the 'drop' is in 40 yards from the laser (assuming it's true) to the actual center point of impact.

Thanks in advanced!

Tom007

Absolutely, best investment I ever made with the price of today's turkey loads. I have a Site-lite Laser Bore site, the one Jim Shockey swears by. It is simple, and very accurate. I just sighted in 4 guns. On 2 out of the 4, I made no adjustments, pattern dead center. The other 2 were perfect left/right, just had to raise POI a bit. The trick is use the proper gauge arbor and O-ring. What I do since our chokes are so tight, I unscrew the arbor, slide the Laser Pin through the choke, then re-install the arbor with the O ring. I slide the Laser into the barrel, it has a magnet that forces it dead center, it's tapered. I put the target on my wall about 25 ft away, and adjust windage and elevation to just above the laser. The target shows you where to line  everything up. I use a Caldwell dead sled to hold the gun, the Laser kit comes with mini levels to level the gun in the sled. I also do slug guns, it gets it within inches. Like I said, the cost of the laser pays for itself. I used to waste a lot of shells, not with this. It does scopes, red dots, and adjustable open sites.

Master Gobbie

I just bore sighted my 20 in with a MidTen foresight for my new Tru Glo mountable sights. It only took some minor adjustments once I hit the range, mostly because I wanted it to shoot just a touch high. I used field loads to make sure pattern was overall where I wanted it, then popped in a TSS load, and it pattern right where it should have.

Here's a link to the 12 gauge MidTen on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MS8TQRM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_12?smid=A14RTJBOB8TIST&psc=1

Proverbs  3: 5-6

OJR

They work like a champ. I can't really add to what the guy's above have said. I got one on Amazon years ago to get my red dot close. Did it in my house. Fortunately I have a really long hall that ends in a large room. Zeroed it on a door knob.

bwhana

I have the Sightmark 20ga that goes in the chamber.  It is useless as it will project in different spots as you rotate it.  The ones that go into the bore with proper arbors are much better and more reliable.

Greg Massey

Yes , i use one all the time , good investment ... to save ammo...

eddie234

I use one to get on paper, use big paper to fine tune. I have one that's like the shot shell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

rakkin6

Quote from: Master Gobbie on February 28, 2022, 04:05:18 PM
I just bore sighted my 20 in with a MidTen foresight for my new Tru Glo mountable sights. It only took some minor adjustments once I hit the range, mostly because I wanted it to shoot just a touch high. I used field loads to make sure pattern was overall where I wanted it, then popped in a TSS load, and it pattern right where it should have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MS8TQRM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_12?smid=A14RTJBOB8TIST&psc=1
What target are you using for this boresight and what distance did you boresight it at for a good pattern. Done plenty of rifles but never boresighted a shotgun.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

EKavanagh

Do you have the SL-100?

Quote from: Tom007 on February 28, 2022, 03:25:42 PM
Absolutely, best investment I ever made with the price of today's turkey loads. I have a Site-lite Laser Bore site, the one Jim Shockey swears by. It is simple, and very accurate. I just sighted in 4 guns. On 2 out of the 4, I made no adjustments, pattern dead center. The other 2 were perfect left/right, just had to raise POI a bit. The trick is use the proper gauge arbor and O-ring. What I do since our chokes are so tight, I unscrew the arbor, slide the Laser Pin through the choke, then re-install the arbor with the O ring. I slide the Laser into the barrel, it has a magnet that forces it dead center, it's tapered. I put the target on my wall about 25 ft away, and adjust windage and elevation to just above the laser. The target shows you where to line  everything up. I use a Caldwell dead sled to hold the gun, the Laser kit comes with mini levels to level the gun in the sled. I also do slug guns, it gets it within inches. Like I said, the cost of the laser pays for itself. I used to waste a lot of shells, not with this. It does scopes, red dots, and adjustable open sites.

Tom007

redjones

I'm sure they work just fine,but if use any target load at 10-12 yards to get on paper and dialed in pretty close then go to say 20 and see where your hitting,this has worked for me on several guns.
Seems guys start shooting at a longer distance and can't get a read on what their gun is really doing,start close then work your way out.
Of course finish with whichever load you intend to hunt with.

Greg
Semper Fi

Master Gobbie

Quote from: rakkin6 on February 28, 2022, 07:20:55 PM
Quote from: Master Gobbie on February 28, 2022, 04:05:18 PM

What target are you using for this boresight and what distance did you boresight it at for a good pattern. Done plenty of rifles but never boresighted a shotgun.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I picked a spot on the front door and used the hallway, about 15 yards. I didn't read the instructions or look up any pointers, just relied on what I learned in hunters ed from 1992.  :TooFunny:

Was looking to "get on paper" and it did just that. At the range, I started at 15 yards, zeroed it, moved to 25 yards, was still on. I probably spent 10 shells to get it right where I wanted it. 

All this after I went back to a red dot on my 12. And getting it zeroed without bore sighting first cost me a box and half of shells. A little time consuming and costly, but both results were the same.
Proverbs  3: 5-6

Treerooster

I got one, had it for years. Sight Mark is the brand, looks like a shell. Don't remember what it costs but I am sure it has paid for itself by now.

Besides helpful when sighting in it's nice when you miss a bird and wonder if you pulled the shot or if the sight is off. Doesn't take much to check the sight. Or maybe you bumped the sight some how, easy to check zero. If the sight is off it can get you real close without firing a shot, then shoot a shell for confirmation. I am not always near home when turkey hunting and it really is a pain to check my gun's zero during season.

I filed a little notch in the "shell" so I can put it in my gun consistently in the same position. Even if the laser doesn't match up perfectly with your sight it still can be used as a good reference. Just write down where the laser is in relation to your sight at a certain yardage and then you know where it should be when the gun/sight is on.

Bob G.

I followed the info in the link when I put a red dot on my new shotgun last year. The only thing I did ahead of time was to adjust the red dot windage to line up with the front bead.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,14641.0.html