OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite pot call surface

Started by jbrown, February 28, 2022, 10:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown

Which pot surface is your favorite? Which pot surface do you get the most response with?

MDTOM84

I love glass/Crystal but a slate over slate has been the most productive for me

Greg Massey

I like all of them depending on the needs.. but one of my favorite is ceramic ...

ChesterCopperpot

Slate. And more specifically a really good green slate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AppalachianHollers

Thus far, green slate.

But this will be my first season with a glass in my arsenal. It's striking to me how different the approach is—after being used to a slate, you just about feel you have to apply as little pressure as possible, but you still get big sound. With slate you at least get the feeling you can put into it what you want to get out, pressure/volume-wise. More intuitive control, in other words, which probably translates to more confidence.

To me, the "harder" surfaces like glass/aluminum generally have a much more "dramatic," punchy turnover in their sound. Stands out and reaches out, but that's not always what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harty

My favorite is Ceramic based on ease of play in fickle Wisconsin weather and Gobbler responses.

bobk

Grey or Black slate

Buckrub

I have had much success with Glass, specifically, Glass over Copper.  Titanium over Slate would rank 2nd.

Notsoyoungturk

Starting to really fall in love with ceramic as an all around surface!  I also like copper over acrylic with a cedar striker (for soft work) and glass on glass with a black locust striker.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Beards and Hooks

I like a  bunch of surfaces, but slates are my favorite.

Ol timer

MJW

b wilt

Spring Creek Calls

I believe slate is the most natural sounding surface, but the birds sure seem to like crystal also.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

RiverBuck

Titanium over slate
Glass over carbon fiber