turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Calling Gobbler's Soft/Aggressive

Started by Greg Massey, February 24, 2022, 11:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

Aggressive calling doesn't have to be loud!

Much of the time I call at a lower volume, it is amazing what they can hear.

I told my cousin, a new turkey hunter to call at a volume you think he might hear, not one you know he hears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: Dtrkyman on February 28, 2022, 08:46:34 AM
Aggressive calling doesn't have to be loud!
Much of the time I call at a lower volume, it is amazing what they can hear.

This is a really good point.  I suspect there are a good number of turkey hunters that think you can't be the aggressive without being loud.  They are not one and the same...  :icon_thumright:

Dtrkyman

I "soft talked" several birds last year, low volume and virtually constant calling!

Years ago I had two toms coming across a large field, if I stopped calling they lost interest, I was about out of breath when I finally killed one, I think of that hunt often when calling those birds that are slow to come in.

Like anything it works when it works!

A good friend who I guide with and who also builds all my mouth calls calls really softly volume wise, I noticed this when we were playing with calls in his shop years ago and added it to the arsenal, he is a killer!

I may be stubborn but I ain't stupid...haha 

boatpaddle

A wise old turkey hunter, years ago, told me

"Less is best & soft is super."

Very wise advice...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

silvestris

I well remember Kenny Morgan running a barely audible series of calling at his house one day.  He got that knowing grin on his face and said "veriest call".  He wasn't kidding.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game