OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Hunter's

Started by Greg Massey, February 22, 2022, 11:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 22, 2022, 08:49:29 PM
To me Woodsmanship is the key and that encompasses many things, learning through experience, I'll break out the calls in Jan. each year.

Dad taught me to hunt, I taught Dad about turkey hunting and that has led me down this path. A big part of pre-season is teaching/seminars and such and that leads into the "Learn to Hunts", Youth Hunts, Charity Hunts, Taking out Friends, and some of the Newbies. I would tell you 2/3rds of the birds I have ever "taken" I never squeezed the trigger on. 

That passion is also what got me into doing these displays I do, making those memories.
https://www.facebook.com/FanaticTurkeyDisplays

MK M GOBL

AWESOME displays!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Paulmyr

GobbleNut detailed my transformation as turkey hunter in his critique of himself quite nicely. My reasons for turkey hunting and how I go about it have changed over time. I'll leave this as an attempt at self discovery:

Most of my hunting is done in the woods. It's a rare occasion I get to see a Tom until crunch time. My ears tell me what's going on. I call out and he answers. He's not in sight but I can see him. He's magnificent strutting down there in that creek bottom. The sunrise glows like embers from his iridescence. Lesser tom's yield as he strutts by like a king, not with his robe trailing but held high for the world to see. The ruler of the roost pirouettes slightly, hops a creek bed, and crawls under a barbed wire fence. He's on his way and nothing is stopping him. How do I know? I can see him. He's right there!
I see him in my imagination. It's like the book always being better than the movie. I add special quirks to the story. Subtle traits that can only come from me, sometimes after the hunt.
When the argument comes up which style of hunting is the best, in my mind, how could it not be mine? Conveying this to non believers is a hearty task. They can't see what I've seen. It must be experienced.

I feel that's one of the big the pulls for me. I don't get that when I'm on the edge of a field. I feel naked. Everything is visible. There's not much left for my imagination and my mind starts to wander. I'm back in the woods sitting high upon a ridge. A thunderous gobble erupts from the creek bed below..........I can see him and he's magnificent!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

dzsmith

Learning to capitalize on an opportunity is a hard lesson to learn as a new hunter. It can take a season or 2 to learn that on some occasions. Generally speaking woodsmanship comes with experience and experience comes with time spent in the field. However .... This is not always the case. Some folks are just wired different , I know 70 year old men who've spent their whole life turkey hunting and don't know anymore now than they do when they were 10 years old.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Cowboy

Patience and more patience.  Knowing where they want to be is key.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bobk

Woodsmanship , patience and calling  is what kills birds. In other words spending as much  time as possible in the woods with turkeys.
A absolute must is a comfortable butt cushion.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Zobo on February 22, 2022, 11:06:42 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 22, 2022, 08:49:29 PM
To me Woodsmanship is the key and that encompasses many things, learning through experience, I'll break out the calls in Jan. each year.

Dad taught me to hunt, I taught Dad about turkey hunting and that has led me down this path. A big part of pre-season is teaching/seminars and such and that leads into the "Learn to Hunts", Youth Hunts, Charity Hunts, Taking out Friends, and some of the Newbies. I would tell you 2/3rds of the birds I have ever "taken" I never squeezed the trigger on. 

That passion is also what got me into doing these displays I do, making those memories.
https://www.facebook.com/FanaticTurkeyDisplays

MK M GOBL

AWESOME displays!

Thanks for the "AWESOME"  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

I put some time into what I do, always working on something new or custom!

MK M GOBL

surehuntsalot

I try to call them in as close as possible
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

strum

I'm going to go with experience and luck. Most of the places I hunt ive gotten to know very well over the years and Im confidant in those places. But every year something unexpected happens. Last year one of my best spots had no turks at all.. no sign no gobbling nothing and I dont know why. This year I just looked it over and its torn up with scratching everywhere I look. So there again . Experience told me to go look but "luckily", they are there. I also have to agree with the good butt cushion answers. Dont leave home without it.

greencop01

Earl Mickel said it best, a good place to hunt and PERSISTENCE
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Goblen

Woodmanship, patience, get where they want to be. And hunt them not kill them. Anybody can kill one but the hunters know what I mean.

DirtNap647

WV Flopper

TurkeyReaper69

I don't pride myself on my turkey calling ability whatsoever, I tend to think strategy and woodsmanship is the ticket. But as I type "strategy" I think, "what even is my strategy?" Sometimes I kill turkeys and think "what the hell did I just do, how did I pull that off?" and most of the time I don't kill a turkey that I was fortunate enough to play the game with I was under the impression I did everything right and still didn't kill that sucker. I don't think someone's camo matters, nor their hunting app. Sure Onx in my case helps me find land to hunt but 9 times out of 10 when I hear a gobble I'm not pulling out a topo map to see where he's at geographically. Logic goes out the window and I go into kill mode. So to sum it up: will power, and some strategy and the desire to look at a redhead down my gun barrel kills turkeys.

Howie g

CORN ,,, piles and piles of corn ????.

bwhana

Learning through experience is key, but the most important aspect of that is learning from each mistake you make and not making them a 2nd time.