turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Grand Nationals Champion

Started by aclawrence, February 19, 2022, 06:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Congrats to Matt Van Cise. I haven't gotten to watch it yet but it looks like he's bringing home the trophy again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roosterstraw

Dtrkyman

I have heard him call a few times, maybe even just on a hunt?  Dude can call no doubt!

Congratts.

Howie g

Several people that where there say ole Dave out called him they thought .
But I guess the judges saw or " heard " it differently. 

Fdept56

Quote from: Howie g on February 21, 2022, 10:24:26 PM

The crowd went crazy for their "hero". I bet if the crowd wasn't able to see who was calling there would be a lot less people saying that.

Someone brought up an interesting point to me that I really think is true, Dave has a huge following on YouTube and everyone that watches him thinks he sounds great. Over time, I think everyone has came to accept that he is exactly what a caller should sound like. How many of these people are listening to real hens as much as they're watching his videos?

aclawrence

Quote from: Fdept56 on February 22, 2022, 07:51:26 AM

The crowd went crazy for their "hero". I bet if the crowd wasn't able to see who was calling there would be a lot less people saying that.

Someone brought up an interesting point to me that I really think is true, Dave has a huge following on YouTube and everyone that watches him thinks he sounds great. Over time, I think everyone has came to accept that he is exactly what a caller should sound like. How many of these people are listening to real hens as much as they're watching his videos?
That's an interesting point to consider. Dave is obviously an incredible caller and you're right. everyone is used to his sound. Any of those dudes can flat out call turkeys.

TurkeyReaper69

I saw some comments online from folks that were something along the lines of "some Matt cise guy won, I can't believe he beat Dave".... I guess we've reached the point where the generation of turkey hunters we have now are so wrapped around Dave's finger they aren't even aware of some of the greats of competition calling. When was MVC's last grand national win? 3-4 years ago? And only being that long due to the fact he's been judging the past few years. Good thing the judges know what to listen for in a competition rather than awarding their favorite turkey personality a win like the general populace would. And for those who think I'm a hater, I will give credit where it is due. The 2018 (I believe) Grand National that Dave took 1st place in was one of the greatest performances I've ever seen either live watching or watching a recorded clip of GNCC. And no, I'm not a great caller (mediocre at best)  caller or really know what to look for (other than an obvious slip up or two) either but everyone was speechless after that I recall.

GobbleNut

Unless they have changed things, the problem with these calling contests is that the guys at the very top are so good at the required calls that the judging becomes completely subjective.  What they really need to do is expand the calling requirements,...or even better, they should eliminate the human judging all together. 

With today's technology, they could take recorded turkey sounds from live birds, play those recordings, and then make the contestants replicate those sounds as best they could with the judging done by an electronic sound-monitoring system that "judged" how close each contestant came to making the same sound.  Take the subjective, human-judging completely out of the picture. THAT would eliminate the debates about who won any of these contests.

Having said that, I realize something like that will never happen.  It is too complex a thought for turkey hunters to comprehend!   ;D :angel9: :toothy9:

Ridge

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on February 22, 2022, 08:20:59 AM

I saw some comments online from folks that were something along the lines of "some Matt cise guy won, I can't believe he beat Dave".... I guess we've reached the point where the generation of turkey hunters we have now are so wrapped around Dave's finger they aren't even aware of some of the greats of competition calling. When was MVC's last grand national win? 3-4 years ago? And only being that long due to the fact he's been judging the past few years. Good thing the judges know what to listen for in a competition rather than awarding their favorite turkey personality a win like the general populace would. And for those who think I'm a hater, I will give credit where it is due. The 2018 (I believe) Grand National that Dave took 1st place in was one of the greatest performances I've ever seen either live watching or watching a recorded clip of GNCC. And no, I'm not a great caller (mediocre at best)  caller or really know what to look for (other than an obvious slip up or two) either but everyone was speechless after that I recall.

Van Cise atually won it the last time they had it which was 2020 (didn't have it in 2021 I believe).

RLAG

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 22, 2022, 08:40:34 AM
Unless they have changed things, the problem with these calling contests is that the guys at the very top are so good at the required calls that the judging becomes completely subjective.  What they really need to do is expand the calling requirements,...or even better, they should eliminate the human judging all together. 

With today's technology, they could take recorded turkey sounds from live birds, play those recordings, and then make the contestants replicate those sounds as best they could with the judging done by an electronic sound-monitoring system that "judged" how close each contestant came to making the same sound.  Take the subjective, human-judging completely out of the picture. THAT would eliminate the debates about who won any of these contests.

Having said that, I realize something like that will never happen.  It is too complex a thought for turkey hunters to comprehend!   ;D :angel9: :toothy9:
Also keep in mind everyone's turkey sounds different. My hen won't sound like your hen who won't sound like MVC's hen. They're all hens, they're all real turkey but just with different accents. If guys had to mimic one specific bird, whoevers hen fell closest to that bird would win assuming calling ability is darn close like it is with these guys

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: Ridge on February 22, 2022, 08:48:03 AM
Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on February 22, 2022, 08:20:59 AM

Van Cise atually won it the last time they had it which was 2020 (didn't have it in 2021 I believe).
Was it 2020? Getting my years confused here then. Either way I know he judged for a few years and didn't compete. If it was 2020 when he last won then that even further proves the point I was trying to make.

kytrkyhntr

I think that Lowe fella from alabama should have won. Let us not also forget Jesse Martin forgot a cluck and purr and that cost him a shot at it.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

aclawrence

I think Matt Van Cise did win last year or the year before and he also won the friction the same year he won the open division.  He's got some serious turkey talking skills.

fountain2

Van Cise won the friction and the open in 20 and the friction was primarily with a box call. He is one of the greatest of all time.  Half the folks left after Owens called.   Dave did a great job too, but the YouTube publicity is what's taking him right now and that's what he wanted or he wouldn't be doing it.  Same with the seek one guys...they wanted their names out there and to make a splash...they did it.   I don't blame them either.   If anyone else wins, it's because matt van Cise let them.   

TrackeySauresRex

I just watched it. Alls I can say is, I wouldn't want to judge it. Them dudes can talk turkey!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."