OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hen Talk

Started by EZ, February 14, 2022, 09:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger

Is there somewhere the Unicoi roundtable on yelpers can be viewed or can someone share it with me please? 
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

bobk

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 14, 2022, 05:21:15 PM
All calls have a place in the turkey woods , it all depends on the mood of the turkey's , soft calling is something that's probably not done enough ... that's why alone with the trumpets , that i think push pins are another tool for soft calling.. IMO
[/quoteLLP

A scratch box, a old school slate pot along with a soft talker slate will also  make  great soft talk.

paboxcall

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

EZ

Quote from: Ranger on February 14, 2022, 05:31:26 PM
Is there somewhere the Unicoi roundtable on yelpers can be viewed or can someone share it with me please?

They always make a DVD of the roundtable discussions. The one on Yelpers was from about three years ago. I can't find it on the internet but I was there and I got the DVD.

boatpaddle

Quote from: EZ on February 14, 2022, 04:29:43 PM
Great discussion and lots of good points here.
How many have noticed how well hens respond to yelpers?

Another good point made for the conversation, Tony....

Some days, the trumpet is the ONLY call, that gobblers and or hens will respond to...
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

Ranger

Can someone please PM me Mark Sharpes  phone number so I can get a copy of the DVD to watch?  Thanks
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

EZ

Quote from: boatpaddle on February 14, 2022, 06:28:37 PM

Another good point made for the conversation, Tony....

Some days, the trumpet is the ONLY call, that gobblers and or hens will respond to...

Like Greg said, all calls have a place and I LOVE any good sounding, well made call. I also always been a fairly aggressive turkey hunter and I will scald a turkey to death if that's what's called for. I use whatever call that turkey wants to hear and the amount of times that it's a wingbone, jordan or trumpet that seals the deal with those "kook, kook, kook" very soft yelps cannot be ignored.

There's just something about the sound or pitch or wavelength of those air calls that it's hard for turkeys to ignore. Even calling with the softest yelps and clucks I'm still amazed at how far away i can raise a gobble. They aren't magic, but sometimes they seem to be.

Chris O

I have noticed and I try to call everyone one in that I can. I have heard hens call even softer than the one in the video. I practice but I can't call as soft as what I have heard hens call in the woods.
Great post!!

Shoebuck

I started using a trumpet two years ago, I called to loud and too much, they would gobble at it but I didn't call any in, then one day last year I was sitting on a mid morning with no gobbling, I started making tiny little yelps and got a response from 300 yds away, half hour later he was hanging upside down. Since that day I have been working on making trumpets to be softer and raspier. Quite a trip, but so much fun.  Dave Shoemaker

ChesterCopperpot

Somehow I almost missed this thread and it's one of the best ones I've read in a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aclawrence

I have.  I started carrying a wingbone a few years ago. One morning after working an area for a while with mouth calls and pot calls and took a break and just sat down for a minute. I got out that wingbone and started yelping and a hen responded right away. She didn't answer anything but that wingbone. Another day I called a hen from across a holler with a wingbone. She came all the way in looking for me. I was a believer at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

Regarding various turkey calls...slate, glass, box, mouth etc...we hear what we hear. But what frequencies does that turkey hear and REALLY like? Many years ago one of the best turkey hunters I know...and I've known more that a few...told me that he had more responses and luck turkey calling with  a yelper than any other call. He advocated that clear, monotone call you can get off a yelper. I'll be using one of EZs this spring. Can't find a better wingbone or cane.

2nd 100

No less of an authority than Mr Marlin Watkins told me 5 years ago when I started pursuing the trumpet thing that I sounded very good but learn to tone it down and I would kill more turkeys . Now with Mr Marlin being a hero of mine , that stuck real well .

Last yr in FL my buddy that ive hunted with for 20 years whispered to me , you in the right spot , she is in the tree with you ... He was only 20 yds away and knew I wasn't hearing what he thought was a bonafied hen sitting just above me . when I turned and yelped at him on the trumpet ... He said well I'll be damned ! All these years together and you finally got something right ....lol
Oh yes I will scauld the feather off one also but with the trumpet ...less IS more !