turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thermal underwear

Started by Hwd silvestris, February 13, 2022, 07:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natman

I hunt in Northern California near the coast and face some unusual hunting weather. Mornings in the spring the land where I hunt is usually covered by cold fog from the ocean. Temperatures are usually in the 40s, sometimes into the 30s. Around 10 o'clock the fog burns off and it gets warmer in a hurry, sometimes as much as 20 degrees in an hour. The total temperature swing can be 30 degrees or more.

So I don't have to deal with bitter cold, but thermal flexibility is a must. I bought a pair of ordinary waffle long johns a size too big for me and cut the outside seam of both legs from ankle to waistband. I then sewed flexible velcro down both legs, with a gap at the knees.

So when it gets too hot for long johns, I stand up, drop my pants, and rip the velcro apart down both legs. This allows me to remove the long johns without removing my pants or boots. My wife calls them my stripper long johns, although I can't imagine how she came up with that reference.

Number17

Your base layer is not so much about keeping you warm as it is about keeping you dry. And keeping you dry, in turn, keeps you warm. Don't think of your base as an insulating layer.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Stickbow98

Minus 33 merino for me. Works great, and comes in BIG MAN size!!  :z-winnersmiley:
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

turkeygod4

BlackOvis Merino wool. They come in light, mid and heavy

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jbird22

I know Merino is supposed to be the best, and it very well may be, but the newer Under Armour Base 3.0 does exactly what I need them to do. They are much improved over the older Under Armour Base offerings. You can get them at a pretty good price if you have access to GovX.

Lucky Goose

ZIP OFF base layers are a must here in the south.   Shivering in the morning, sweating by 830

Sixes

I used to wear UA and everyone might be different, but as a bigger guy that sweats, the UA stuff always stunk after wearing a half day or full day. All synthetics seem to stink.

Merino does not retain odor.

strut

I wear Kuiu brand. They have Merino wool in a couple different weights and a Peleton product that is very good good. My biggest praise is they have full length zippers on each leg. You can put them on and take them off without taking off pants or boots. If I'm walking or riding in, they're in my pack until I'm ready to sit. Takes only seconds to put on or take off. I don't think I'd ever buy long John's without that feature again.
They give a military discount too.

sbbow

First lite merino wool for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jordanz7935

I got the sitka non merino base layer last fall and i was very impressed. First high end base layers ive tried. The midway usa brand merino baselayers are still running strong after 3 seasons,nice warm base set, but the fit and comfort just doesnt compare to the sitka.

gaswamp

Duckworth makes quality merino wool products in the great state of Montana
https://www.duckworthco.com/

Chris O

SKRE merino And old school polypropylene layer over that when it's really cold.

3bailey3

any one know of some one that makes a union suit, i had one as a kid and liked it.

Zobo

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 17, 2022, 09:09:18 PM
any one know of some one that makes a union suit, i had one as a kid and liked it.

Yes, Minus 33 makes a Marino wool union suit
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14