OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How to avoid deer ruining turkey hunt?

Started by wgeorge, February 11, 2022, 11:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmbunch69

I've had one doe shut a tom up. She didn't know what I was and walked to 10 feet before she started blowing and carrying on. Of course bird was coming in hot at around 100 yards away. She ran right to where he was gobbling and he shut up for about 2 hours. Next gobble from him was way far away. Killed him the next morning though so all she did was extend my season lol

Cut N Run

I had deer bust me and spook an approaching gobbler one time about 25 years ago. The deer got right up on me before it started freaking out. Since it happened at one of the few openings in the area where gobblers liked to strut, I took an old camo T shirt, slipped it over my pillow for a few nights, then tied the shirt around a tree behind the downed tree I hunted beside. Never saw another deer in that area for the rest of the season & ended up killing that gobbler the next time I hunted that opening.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

quavers59

I read that old Dwain Bland- Author of- Turkey Hunters Digest would take with him a slingshot  and lay some Lead Balls on the Rumps of Deer + Annoying Hogs.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Deer blow at all sorts of things, even other deer. I actually want deer to smell me. Get's them out of the way faster. Coffee works wonders. The one thing I love about Turkey season, unlike deer season I don't worry about the smell.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

ferocious calls

Many times while walking predawn we will have deer snort that have become aware of something moving close enough to hear our best stealth walk. In this senerio simply blowing back to the deer conveys that we are a deer. It may amaze those who don't know the difference between a snort and a blow, how effective this is to stop the snorting.

This works to calm deer and also make many of them curious to the point of approaching,  so use with caution. I don't know if this has saved a hunt for me, but I'd bet it has.

Archery season is a hoot talking to the deer as well.

Bowguy

Quote from: Lucky Goose on February 11, 2022, 11:47:40 AM
Deer can be a problem for sure. 

I have a spot that has so many deer on it that I have to turkey hunt it based on the wind so I don't have deer blow out..

So my advice, is strategize around the wind.  Some days you may have to hunt somewhere else or on the fringes of where you'd really want to be.

That's the only way, play the wind like you're deer hunting

CntrlPAlongbeard

I was hunting one day a few springs ago, I had snuck up on the side of the mountain above this gobbler on a bench. I belly crawled down to the mountain to about 70-80 yards and watched this bird strutting back and forth all alone. I had a decoy out beside me and he would gobble just about every time I called. But after 30 minutes I realized he had no intentions of walking up to me.

All of a sudden two deer got spooked out the bench by something and came flying past the gobbler. He went out of strut, panicked for a minute because he had no idea why those deer busted. He looked up at my decoy and started running up the mountain at me. Bang.

First time I've ever heard of deer putting on a turkey drive for a human. I owe them one.

But I also agree with the earlier post that it's just part of the game in the spring that you deal with. I think taking scent control seriously would take a lot of the fun out of it for me.
You are going to find him endlessly fascinating, occasionally easy, regularly difficult, and frequently impossible, but never dull. -Col. Tom Kelly

Spladle160

Deer seem to be the most problem when they're pretty sure or think you're there. If they know you're there from the start they avoid you or try to sneak by. You have 2 options. Be deer invisible, almost impossible, or beer very deer visible through scent and or site.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr