OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking to pick up a few new strikers!

Started by Sandfly, February 06, 2022, 07:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandfly

I want to add some new strikers to my vest, open to any suggestions! As of now I would like to find an Ipe, diamondwood, black locust, persimmon possibly tupelo or a few others. I prefer the shorter strikers not the long ones, a flare tip is a plus but not a must! I'm looking for recommendations  for call makers that make strikers out of these woods. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks SF

aclawrence

I'll go ahead and recommend Jeff Harris. I know he sales locust and a lot of frogwood. I'm not sure about the others but you could shoot him a message and see. JLH Strikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

Most assuredly Jeff at [mention]JLH [/mention]. Derrick Stuckey. [mention]callmakerman [/mention]Bill Lyman. Clay Townsend. Also got an ipe I really like from David Halloran.

Greg Massey

Clay Townsend persimmon top snakewood , and if you can find someone to sell you one of  Harold Fowler's black locust ... Fred Cox on the tulipwood ...

Dtrkyman

Matt McLain makes some fine strikers!

rakkin6

JLH (Jeff Harrison)
Kingwood
Heavy hickory
Bullfrog
Frogwood

I have 12 of his strikers

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

jwm1485

Sandfly

JLH look good for sure, has a Facebook showing a lot of great work! Trying to find website/fb for the others listed. Thanks for your help open to check out plenty more!

paboxcall

JLH's heavy cedar is my favorite in the vest.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Sandfly on February 06, 2022, 10:04:21 PM
JLH look good for sure, has a Facebook showing a lot of great work! Trying to find website/fb for the others listed. Thanks for your help open to check out plenty more!
Stuckey posted these last night on Facebook. He's Obsession Game Calls on there: Chakte Viga, Bocote, Hickory, Honduras Rosewood, Osage Orange,  Bubinga, Snakewood, Dogwood, Zebrawood, Bloodwood, Bolivian Rosewood.

Sandfly

Thanks for the suggestions, these are some great looking strikers. Also good to know not only do they look good but people are actually using them!

Meleagris gallopavo

Not sure how short you like them, The strikers I have from these folks are about 7" long.  I'd like to add that Dustin Holzman (DBH Strikers) makes a good striker.  Derek Fowler at Fowler Outdoor Products makes good ones as well.  Neal Herrman who makes  strikers for Hooks Calls is good. 

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Sandfly

The DBH is more my style, thanks for sharing! I like the Hooks as well, just checked them out! thank you!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 06, 2022, 08:10:47 PM
Most assuredly Jeff at [mention]JLH [/mention]. Derrick Stuckey. [mention]callmakerman [/mention]Bill Lyman. Clay Townsend. Also got an ipe I really like from David Halloran.

X2 on these, really love that Halloran Ipe.

Jeff from JLH Strikers is a great guy to deal with and makes some wonderful strikers. Jeff has  gone out of his way to make a few little bit wider for me so they would be more comfortable in my messed up hands.

My hands really like those Stuckey strikers, I've had a few hand injuries so some strikers can be difficult/painful for me to use but his work really well for me.

I also got my first striker from Clay Townsend not too long ago great little 2 piece snakewood with a persimmon head and snakewood rings sounds great very comfortable.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Big Jeremy

My favorite three, consistently, are JLH, Neal Herrman, and Stuckey.