turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thinking of giving trumpets or wingbones a try

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, February 02, 2022, 09:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

So now I'm curious about using a trumpet or wingbone.  What's a good model to use to get the concept down without committing a lot of $$$?
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

troutfisher13111

wchadw

if you want to try a yelper without spending alot of $ i'd get a cane call and try it.  easier to learn on

ChesterCopperpot

Permar improved Jordan. Best deal in yelpers period. They're $60 from one of the best callmakers at work. Cheapest yelper I own and it never leaves my vest. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Quote from: Terry on February 02, 2022, 09:13:19 AM
Brian Mero

X2.  I am waiting on a call from someone that I wanted to try. Once I know more about the call it may be one I recommend as well.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

USMC0331

Bedge7767

Jim

callmakerman

If you want to try a yelper without breaking the bank go on ebay. There's a guy selling all cane yelpers that not only look very nice but play easy and sound damn good at 50 dollars. Yes I have one and it will hunt.

jordanz7935

Darrel Gibson, Daryl Gosey, and Brian Mero get my vote for great trumpets @ a great price. Id also look into wingbone calls and also cane/jordan style yelpers.... EZ here on the forum makes some beautiful wingbones and cane yelpers. I just ordered a jordan style yelper from Ralph Permar. If its half as good as people say, its one of the best deals going on a yelper. Just be patient and persistent when it comes to practicing!

strum

I just purchased my first ever trumpet from Brain Mero. Great guy to deal with. I called him on the jan 28th.. here it is the 2nd of feb and I have it in my hand.
Its beautifully made. After about an hour of fooling with it I have no doubt ill be killing turkeys with it soon. Im getting some very good sounds out of it already.

Ranger

I'm new to trumpets and I can tell you they've already started ruining my life. If you can run diaphragm calls I'd stay away from this poison.  Been addicted to hunting birds for a long time, been acquiring nice calls for years, but this new problem I can tell is going to get out of hand.  Just say No
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

gergg

Quote from: Ranger on February 02, 2022, 05:29:28 PM
I'm new to trumpets and I can tell you they've already started ruining my life. If you can run diaphragm calls I'd stay away from this poison.  Been addicted to hunting birds for a long time, been acquiring nice calls for years, but this new problem I can tell is going to get out of hand.  Just say No
Truth....lol
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

merocustomcalls

My goodness, thank you to everyone that suggested me, I am truly humbled.  I have been in the shop daily making calls, trying to keep up with orders. 

Here is an example of a trumpet I charge $100 for.  Cocobolo and Delrin, about the same thing I bring to the woods myself.  This one is headed out to another member on here.

Brian Mero

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: gergg on February 02, 2022, 06:21:08 PM
Truth....lol
Even worse when you start shopping for blanks to give to folks when you come up on their lists

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 02, 2022, 07:08:25 PM
Quote from: gergg on February 02, 2022, 06:21:08 PM
Truth....lol
Even worse when you start shopping for blanks to give to folks when you come up on their lists

I do that already with strikers...

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.