OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bino magnification

Started by bowbird87, January 31, 2022, 10:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowbird87

I'm looking to get a pair of Diamondback hd compact just to wear in the turkey woods. I hunt in the timber most of the time but will spend some time in field or large food plots. Would you recommend a 8 or 10 power bino? I'm thinking 8 just to have a slightly clearer picture at dusk and dawn. On the other hand the 10 would be nicer in field's and foodplots.

Lucky Goose

10's are pretty versatile and what I've carried for years (vortex venom 10x42).  They've saved me a lot of steps and probably accounted for some birds since they have allowed me to see what a turkey was from a long ways off.  They aren't that much heavier than 8's (a good harness is important, the american made marsupial harness has been my favorite) and I can't say I've had low light issues with the venoms.

bowbird87

I should mention the compacts are a 32mm objective.

OJR

I agree with 10's. Have been carrying Leupold 10 x 42's since I gave my son my Zeiss 8 x 32's about 10 years ago. I like the 10's much better.

bobk

My preference is 8x. My hunting is almost entirely in the big woods.

WildTigerTrout

I carry a vintage Nikon Mountaineer II 8x25.  I hunt mainly in the woods however these work fine in open field areas also.  IMO 10x is just a bit much in the woods.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: bowbird87 on January 31, 2022, 11:01:21 AM
I should mention the compacts are a 32mm objective.
Smaller objectives ALWAYS go with less magnification. Less light gathering ability you want the exit pupil as big as you can get it for low light. I'd rather sacrifice magnification and gain minutes at the start and end of the day. I wouldn't jump to 10x until I was at least at a 42mm objective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky Goose

Also, low light that would legitimately interfere with optics and turkey's don't often go along with one another unless you are trying to see them on the roost from a long ways off.  I can't think of a time that light limited me with optics for turkey...  If it's light enough for them to be on the ground, it's light enough for any middle of the road optic to perform.  If you want to gain minutes in the day you can also go with higher quality glass and keep a greater magnification but spend more money.

The choice usually comes down to weight, bulk, and how well you can hold glass.  12's are usually the breaking point here.  If you're shaky or want compact glass, then 8's are usually the go-to.  Just personal preference.

Dtrkyman

In a compact get the 8, I would only get 10x with at least a 42mm.  I don't carry binoculars all the time turkey hunting.

b wilt

I have both in 42mm, I prefer the 8x's, They seem a little brighter and are easier to hold stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Matt76cmich

I have 2 pair of Vortex Diamondback binos. 10x50s that stay in my truck or for scouting. For hunting I have a pair of 8x32. The 8x32 were something I wished I had bought a long time ago after using them. They weigh nothing and still have good power  for when I'm in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

In the woods or under 600 yards 8X is the way to go.  Easier to hold steady. I use Kowa BDXII 8X32. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Greg Massey

10 x 28 vortex diamondback  for turkey hunting... will do all you need and your not carrying a lot of weight around your neck etc... for deer hunting etc in the fields i like my 10 x 42 Vortex diamondbacks ...

tal

Vortex Diamondbacks come in 28mm and 32mm. 8x is the most 'steady' of course with 10x usually considered the maximum magnification for hand held. Above that it's recommended to use a tripod or other mount.
I have Vipers and Diamondbacks. I think Diamondbacks are a good price point/quality buy. I use the 10x28 liking the compactness more than light gathering ability. Figure what your needs are and go with it. Vortex is a good product and back their stuff from what I've seen.

packmule