OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wet weather and expensive guns

Started by Gmed, January 28, 2022, 07:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmed

Thinking about investing in a Savage 301T for those spring days it's really calling for showers. I think it's cheap enough and simple enough to break down (and spray out completely with WD-40) if it gets wet, or break down in the woods and put under my poncho in case of a heavier rain. What do you guys and gals do to keep equipment dry or do you just roll with the rain and let em get wet?

Bob G.

I hunted with a Winchester 12 gauge pump for several years. Wiped it down and ran a patch through the barrel after hunting in the rain.

I bought a new Benelli M2 20 gauge last year. Did not have it in time for the Spring season but hunted a couple of dry days in the Fall. I won't have an issue hunting in the rain as it is very easy to take apart to clean/lube. I bought it to hunt with regardless of the weather just like my deer rifles, etc.

neal

Mud, rain, blood none of it matters. I built mine to abuse all spring long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

WV Flopper

A gobblers life is worth more to me than any shot gun I own.

When season is done I tare it down and clean her up. Deep cavity and ever crack and crevice. The big girl is a BPS and stays surprising clean.

Tail Feathers

An extra turkey gun is always a welcome addition.  If the weather is wet, I usually take my CVA single shot just for the  reasons stated by the OP.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Greg Massey

Get you Alpine innovations gun slicker, its waterproof camo sleeve - cover. It will pack within itself in a small little bag about the size of a baseball and it has carabiner to attach it to your vest or satchel and it's practically weighless. You can look at these on Amazon and cost around 25 dollars, it's money well spent.. I use them all the time during deer and turkey season if needed.

USMC0331

I use kroil silicon spray and it works great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

I don't let rain scare me.  Oil it and go.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

30_06

Just use as normal, clean and oil afterwards.

Esse quam videri

lacire

All my guns have wood stocks and I've never babied any of them. I completely stripped down and seal every bit of unfinished wood with linseed oil when I get a gun.  I've hunted here for over 25 years and we average 60" of rain. I haven't had a problem so far with swelling wood or rusted guns I just break them down, dry and oil them up immediately after I get home.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

tracker#1

Oil before and after, and hunt. I use an "Alps waterproof slicker" on my predator gun. Opening on the end. You can shoot with it on. Maybe that will solve your concerns...

Yoder409

All sound advice above.

Dry them out.  Oil them.  Hunt whatever weather you want.

My BPS Stalker 10 gauge was the only gun I used for turkeys for a whole lotta years.  Sunshine..........downpour.......whatever.  It was also my duck/goose gun.  That gun has been dropped in a beaver pond more than once.  Totally submerged.  It's as functional today as it was 30 years ago.

That being said................ There's NEVER a bad reason to buy another gun !!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

greencop01

If I owned a shotgun I was afraid to take out in the rain I would quit hunting. All my shotguns are for hunting, rain or shine, I always clean 'em after I use 'em. Never had a problem with any of them.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Dtrkyman

My most expensive gun is basically only used for waterfowl, literally submerged last week in the marsh, hunted for two days and tore it down completely when I got home, good as new.

I do not abuse my guns but they are tools for me, use them when needed!

Not a bad idea to keep a small can of wd 40 in the truck, if it gets soaked spray it down, and when you are back home or camp tear the gun down and make sure it is dried out.

2eagles

I get the feeling that not many here hunt waterfowl.