turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Convincing somebody to trap before deer season

Started by Sir-diealot, January 23, 2022, 05:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

How would you in this situation go about convincing somebody to trap before deer season?
Many of you know my landlord of 31 years passed away this past year, I have been hunting her kids land for years for both deer and turkey.

The problem being is that they want myself and the guy that is teaching me trapping to trap the land but they do not want us there before deer season because they are convinced we will scare the deer away. I know this is not true because I have seen deer come withing 30 yards or less of a coyote caught in a trap, the deer see people on tractors all year long anyway and they are used to the scent carrying around from a few people.

Now after deer season is is darn near impossible to get a coyote in a trap because their land and all surrounding land is hunted and hunted hard, people have been taking pop shots as coyote and fox as they see them while deer hunting and all the extra noise and scent just spooks the coyote and makes them harder to trap, the time to get them is before the season here. What can I possible do to convince the one that mainly controls the land that he is wrong without coming off disrespectful to him? I mean before deer season there is coyote sign all over the place and after very little, I know they migrate a bit but we do not even see tracks after deer season.

The most bothersome part is the deer population has taken a major hit there (85 acres) just 6 years ago just about everybody could get a deer (I also think that could be a part of the problem) and now they are few and far between in deer season it seems.

The same can be said for turkey, the past two years are the most quiet seasons I have ever heard there. Any ideas on how I could help everybody there including myself? I just can't seem to get through to him. Oh the other one is he seems to think if I kill one coyote 3 more will take it's place, I try to explain carrying capacity but he just does not see to hear the facts.

Anyway, thanks for any help given.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Dtrkyman

85 acres is awfully small to believe you can control a predator population and also the deer population.  I am not opposing your trapping goals just a different point of view.

I managed tracks of land for years in Illinois for deer and turkey, plenty of coyote guys in the area so I did not target them, coons skunks and possum were hit hard late winter to thin em out prior to turkey breeding season.

Sounds like maybe the 85 acres is getting hit too hard with hunting pressure to me?   I would not want anyone stomping around my deer hunting ground for any reason prior to season, looks like you need to figure out a way to trap when it does not interfere with their deer hunting!

Good luck.

ChesterCopperpot

Right now's the best time there is to trap and/or bait and shoot coyotes. Now's their rut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED NECK

I wouldn't be pushing my agenda on someone else's land, If they are not wanting it done then keep quiet and enjoy the land they allow you to hunt. I know if I had someone bothering me, or trying to" convince" me to do something on my land, I would just say, "Unfortunately, I am not allowing anyone but my family to hunt going forward on my property"

Good luck!
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Dtrkyman on January 23, 2022, 05:58:45 PM
85 acres is awfully small to believe you can control a predator population and also the deer population.  I am not opposing your trapping goals just a different point of view.

I managed tracks of land for years in Illinois for deer and turkey, plenty of coyote guys in the area so I did not target them, coons skunks and possum were hit hard late winter to thin em out prior to turkey breeding season.

Sounds like maybe the 85 acres is getting hit too hard with hunting pressure to me?   I would not want anyone stomping around my deer hunting ground for any reason prior to season, looks like you need to figure out a way to trap when it does not interfere with their deer hunting!

Good luck.
I do agree that there has been some over hunting for the deer for sure. I do not believe for a second that it (trapping) interferes with the deer season, if anything I would think the deer would feel more secure as there would be less coyote. Also because we stay out of the woods and trap the field edges and points. I before my last car accident would play paintball with friends in a woods and then hunt it that weekend or even the next day and see deer. I should mention we pull out of trapping one week before the season (Deer) starts.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 23, 2022, 06:03:41 PM
Right now's the best time there is to trap and/or bait and shoot coyotes. Now's their rut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply, once deer season is over we are hunting them with his hounds so we no longer trap otherwise I would agree. We can shoot over bait here in NY

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on January 23, 2022, 06:06:38 PM
I wouldn't be pushing my agenda on someone else's land, If they are not wanting it done then keep quiet and enjoy the land they allow you to hunt. I know if I had someone bothering me, or trying to" convince" me to do something on my land, I would just say, "Unfortunately, I am not allowing anyone but my family to hunt going forward on my property"

Good luck!

If you had read you would have seen "The problem being is that they want myself and the guy that is teaching me trapping to trap the land" I have no agenda, I am simply trying to help everyone involved.

John Koenig:

RED NECK

You are right,I think you should get out there right now and kill a few,I wouldnt want you tromping around  my property any other time than winter for yotes. Get out there and kill a few,hurry!

WV Flopper

I think maybe you should take what you've been giving and be happy.

I always, still do, like trapping as soon as trapping season comes in. Mainly because of the weather, I am a fair weather trapper for sure, and the longer you wait the worse the weather gets.

But, it's not my 85 acres or my rules. Good luck.

I have ran an area for 6-9 days daily and haven't seen issues of bothering the wildlife. If your just riding by it doesn't seem to bother them. Now, if you were on foot walking all of it daily and I was a deer hunter, yea, I might have a problem with this the week before season on my 85 acres.

RED NECK

If you don't think someone tromping around 85 acres leaving their scent all over while you are trying to kill mature whitetails, just before or during season,well. I am not sure I agree with that at all, I leave as liitle as scent as possible where I hunt and I only hunt a stand in the correct wind.

But I guess "if" you are corn pile sniping from 200 yards with a .30-06 and killing dinks and does.

Bait hunting deer should be illegal everywhere....imo.....But that's a whole other thread, I wish you all the best on this quest.

quavers59

Sir diealot-- have not heard anything  from you for a long while on the NY Hunting Site.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: WV Flopper on January 23, 2022, 06:28:58 PM
I think maybe you should take what you've been giving and be happy.

I always, still do, like trapping as soon as trapping season comes in. Mainly because of the weather, I am a fair weather trapper for sure, and the longer you wait the worse the weather gets.

But, it's not my 85 acres or my rules. Good luck.

I have ran an area for 6-9 days daily and haven't seen issues of bothering the wildlife. If your just riding by it doesn't seem to bother them. Now, if you were on foot walking all of it daily and I was a deer hunter, yea, I might have a problem with this the week before season on my 85 acres.
Oh I agree completely, his land his rules and I have no problem with that, it is just he wants us to help him but does not want us to help him at the best time that we can and then does not understand why we are not getting the results after the season. Also the whole carrying capacity thing is so far off base just on it's own.

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on January 23, 2022, 06:30:03 PM
If you don't think someone tromping around 85 acres leaving their scent all over while you are trying to kill mature whitetails, just before or during season,well. I am not sure I agree with that at all, I leave as liitle as scent as possible where I hunt and I only hunt a stand in the correct wind.

But I guess "if" you are corn pile sniping from 200 yards with a .30-06 and killing dinks and does.

Bait hunting deer should be illegal everywhere....imo.....But that's a whole other thread, I wish you all the best on this quest.
Who said anything about bait hunting? By the way that is the one and only thing we have ever agreed on. Again if you would read you would have seen we leave before the season starts and we do not tromp all over, we trap the outside edges so we do not leave scent all over. Do me a favor, we have been ignoring one another for 2 years since your lets discuss bow hunting thread where I simply tried to discuss it with you and you did not like what I said, so please continue to ignore me and I will continue to ignore you, I see no use for you at all.

John Koenig:

RiverBuck

This one is easy... you buy the land from them and trap how you want.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: quavers59 on January 23, 2022, 06:52:58 PM
  Sir diealot-- have not heard anything  from you for a long while on the NY Hunting Site.

I have been driving a lot for the Mennonite, when I am not I have been taking it easy, my knees and back have been giving me a really hard time as has my breathing lately. (Asthma) When I am feeling decent I have been spending time with my GF and my dog and going out to shoot a lot of photography, as the body allows. How have you been?

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: RiverBuck on January 23, 2022, 06:58:57 PM
This one is easy... you buy the land from them and trap how you want.
lol nope, not interested, just want to try to help the guy as well as myself. With my knees and back I would want something a little flatter I am sorry to say. Hope your preparation for the season is going well?

John Koenig:

RED NECK

hey....you are catching on.....smirk.   I tried to be polite in that thread as well as this one. I'll leave you be, with your vast bowhunting knowledge and experience, I felt overwhelmed....smirk. What I was trying to say is......

Buy your own land and you will have the lay of the land, if not do what your told and when your told to do it, or find somewhere else to do it. It may be abrupt and in your face, I think I like that style more.

Enjoy your evening and I don't hold any personall ill will online......HBK