OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fall season  (Read 1496 times)

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Fall season
« on: January 16, 2022, 08:30:06 AM »
Today is the last day of our fall/winter season. The last three weekends the weather has kept me home. So today I will just start waiting on October. I had a really blessed fall. Heard birds gobbling almost every time I was out. Shot a deer that got to close. Saw or heard a gobbler flock of five, 5 out of 6 times I was in a newer area. Called a flock of longbeards into my decoys and arrowed my 6th straight fall longbeard. Had birds in bow range several times. The last gobbling bird I heard was Thanksgiving weekend. Was only able to get out once since then and decided to start at square one trying to find them,that was a fail.  But I scouted a spot I think will produce in the future before heading home. The most memorable part of my season was hunting the the five longbeards. They went charging past one day gobbling the entire time. Makes you feel like a champion caller. LOL. On another day I was eyeballing a big cottonwood tree thinking I should set up by it, only to watch them walk past it at 1:00. At 3:00 I watched a family flock walk past the same tree. Always excited when water fowl season starts, not because I water fowl hunt, but because it almost guarantees the birds will gobble in the a.m. when the guns start going off. Hunted another flock,that had hens and poults roosting in the same area. They would just gobble and head out for the day. Never did lay eyes on them, even though I was close. Did call in the family flock. I found that area squirrel hunting in September two years ago. The birds were gobbling in late morning and heading my way,so I left early, no squirrel. The corn never got cut until the last weekend of October in one of my favorite spots and by then the deer hunters were moving in. I was one and done with that spot until next season. I arrowed a longbeard in it and had 12 walk past me in late November last year after both of my turkey tags were filled. I wasn't lucky enough to draw a shotgun tag this fall for the area nor a spring tag. So it looks like another year of sitting on the sidelines, like 2020. I think I'll go mountain bike in Bentonville and look for a home while there. I need to move out of this hell hole state but I will miss fall turkey hunting here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Online crow

• Double Beard
Re: Fall season
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 08:00:13 PM »
Nice well rounded season