only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ms non res drawing?

Started by Paulmyr, January 09, 2022, 06:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Quote from: sasquatch1 on January 20, 2022, 08:01:05 AM
Quote from: Howie g on January 20, 2022, 07:25:26 AM
Dead buck summed it up pretty good . Feeders in every field and timber opening , no tagging , early season , to long of a season , all day hunting , very little law enforcement and a few poor hatches has taken its toll on our turkeys .  Although I applaud the effort , I'm not sure if this new oos draw is the answer. I pray I'm wrong !
One of my biggest fears is now the draw will trigger FOMO, and actually cause more people to try and draw than ever went before.

That plus all the people getting everyone they know to apply, that way if they themselves don't draw they can go hunt with their friend who did.

Hopefully it don't turn into Utah elk, where 20 people are all out there hunting with a friend who has a tag.

I'm good with the draw but I think we also need funding, just remove 3/7 day licenses or something.

If you wanna hunt buy the whole damn thing, maybe then we can actually start allocating some funding to buy more lands and manage them better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mississippi did increase non-resident 3 and 7 day license costs by $25 and the non-rez turkey permit by $30, making it at least $200 now for a NR to turkey hunt. Which puts it in line with other states. Considering March public land opportunity is virtually non-existent elsewhere now other than FL and Hawaii, still a heck of a deal.

sasquatch1

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on January 20, 2022, 08:22:54 AM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on January 20, 2022, 08:01:05 AM
Dead buck summed it up pretty good . Feeders in every field and timber opening , no tagging , early season , to long of a season , all day hunting , very little law enforcement and a few poor hatches has taken its toll on our turkeys .  Although I applaud the effort , I'm not sure if this new oos draw is the answer. I pray I'm wrong !
One of my biggest fears is now the draw will trigger FOMO, and actually cause more people to try and draw than ever went before.

That plus all the people getting everyone they know to apply, that way if they themselves don't draw they can go hunt with their friend who did.

Hopefully it don't turn into Utah elk, where 20 people are all out there hunting with a friend who has a tag.

I'm good with the draw but I think we also need funding, just remove 3/7 day licenses or something.

If you wanna hunt buy the whole damn thing, maybe then we can actually start allocating some funding to buy more lands and manage them better.

Mississippi did increase non-resident 3 and 7 day license costs by $25 and the non-rez turkey permit by $30, making it at least $200 now for a NR to turkey hunt. Which puts it in line with other states. Considering March public land opportunity is virtually non-existent elsewhere now other than FL and Hawaii, still a heck of a deal.
Yep. And the wma stamp, is virtually a steal.

All states need to increase that a lot.

Prohunter3509

Until Mississippi shortens the season
They have done nothing. And maybe
Puts the limit to 2 birds
Our part of the state is hurting
They gone all out to promote out of state hunters
The draw was just to save face with resident hunter
Mdwfp officials I have talked to just laughs at what the new law is.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: simpzenith on January 09, 2022, 01:36:33 PM
Quote from: Stoeger_bird on January 09, 2022, 01:26:48 PM
Quote from: simpzenith on January 09, 2022, 01:10:31 PM
Quote from: deerhunt1988 on January 09, 2022, 12:58:12 PM
Excuse me, almost doubled. An increase of 3,000 NR turkey permits that are primarily hunting public land the first couple weeks of the season is quite substantial. Not quite double, but a 75% increase.

Actually, it's a 67% increase but that's not important. Did you know that the number of resident turkey hunters, during that same time period, also increased by about 12,000?
So your saying a state that is going through a down cycle in its turkey population saw a very large increase in non resident and resident lisence sales so decided to limit the nonresidents so the people who actually live there have a better experience? I love it! Wish my state would do that but instead we just keep taking opportunity away from everyone instead of the ones who live in the state.  Do u have a problem with how states out west look after their own residents in big game hunting? Seems like thats what MS is doing with turkey. Good for them.

I'm not saying anything, just passing along the requested info for the OP and helping pass along correct information in regards to the other poster. I like how MS decided to handle the uptick in license sales. The went about it in the right way imo.
Shane, completely unrelated. But how did you think it was a good idea to post a YouTube video in iowa bragging about the abundance of birds on public land while the draw is still open? That wasn't very smart. Really all that did was hurt everyone's chances of drawing who'd already put in their apps, including you if you care.

simpzenith

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on January 22, 2022, 11:49:37 AM
Shane, completely unrelated. But how did you think it was a good idea to post a YouTube video in iowa bragging about the abundance of birds on public land while the draw is still open? That wasn't very smart. Really all that did was hurt everyone's chances of drawing who'd already put in their apps, including you if you care.

Can you be more specific? I don't recall that in my latest videos. Even so, everyone already knows that Iowa has a healthy turkey population.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: simpzenith on January 22, 2022, 01:23:59 PM

Can you be more specific? I don't recall that in my latest videos. Even so, everyone already knows that Iowa has a healthy turkey population.
Right here. I've attached the screenshot. From your latest iowa video. I wouldn't go as far to say Everyone knows. But even if everyone did why can't you wait till after the draw closes. I'm sure a many folks probably watched the video then decided to apply only after watching your video and reading caption
https://imgur.com/a/2sKt4kd
Try think link. Should work fine.

simpzenith

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on January 22, 2022, 05:12:31 PM
But even if everyone did why can't you wait till after the draw closes.

Gotcha, you're referring to the video description. Well we were hearing/seeing an abundance of gobblers. Iowa is a great state to turkey hunt. You should give it a try sometime. As for when I post my Iowa video, my videos are sequential so I'm just picking up where I left off last spring which was in Iowa.

WV Flopper

Howie g

I here by claim it un lawful to mention a states name on anything that concerns the wild turkey!
   This includes, you tubers / facebookers / podcasters etc .  Everyone can thank me later !!
Ps . You tubers , I'll still watch ur stuff !  But for Pete's sake ! Stop mentioning states !

Chase0311

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on January 22, 2022, 05:12:31 PM

Right here. I've attached the screenshot. From your latest iowa video. I wouldn't go as far to say Everyone knows. But even if everyone did why can't you wait till after the draw closes. I'm sure a many folks probably watched the video then decided to apply only after watching your video and reading caption
https://imgur.com/a/2sKt4kd
Try think link. Should work fine.

Good luck trying to talk common sense with that cat. For some, generating clicks on their YouTube videos is all they care about.

silent tom

People may or may not know it.  But what you did is put the information at the finger tips of social media/keyboard hunters. While the draw is still open. Congratulations on whatever goal you set out to accomplish. 
For what exactly? An ego stroke, because these damn YouTube videos aren't anything else. 

Mossyguy

Dead buck summed it up pretty good . Feeders in every field and timber opening

If I remember correctly a few years ago they tried to disallow feeders during turkey season but the deer people complained that their deer would starve if they couldn't feed them...so that didn't help any.

Howie g

Correct , and suddenly lots of deer hunters and become consistent gobbler killas .
  Hmmm ????.

quavers59

I would Love to hunt Mississippi.  Will Primos Hunts some Beautiful  Mississippi Hardwoods.
   Might have to check further in Feb and google Holly Springs Forest. Might be nice to see the Spring early as,I am from New York. Supposed to be a big Noreaster Snowstorm  this Saturday.  That makes me want to join the Fun down South.

dzsmith

weve been dealing with what you described in mississippi for decades. obviously certain areas are affected more than others, but anyway .....this will be the first year that something has been done do deter  some of the killing at least. sounds kinda bad right....but like you said, it usually aint killing a bird and leaving for them folks. Its 2-3 weeks of turkey camp
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."