turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ceramic Pot Calls

Started by GunRunner, January 07, 2022, 02:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencop01

One of my go to pots is a Olin Humphries laminated two sided ceramic/slate call. Dynomite call. Also for a waterproof call check out Al Hobert's Enticer Turkey calls, he carries a line of water proof calls. They are easy playing and killer calls.
I also have a padauk ceramic from DayBreak calls.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

BTH

Ceramic surface pot calls are one of my favorites now. Find one you have confidence in and get you a couple of different strikers for it incl an all weather striker and you'll be good to go!
Phil 4:13

Sir-diealot

I like my ceramic from Stumpy, that being said I do not have anything to compare to as it is my first but I find it very easy to play even on wet days.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

DMTJAGER

Quote from: M,Yingling on January 07, 2022, 03:39:43 PM
its all in the striker get your self a good one that runs wet and wont have problem with call surfaces

^^^^^^This absolutely^^^^^^
I was walking through the IL deer and turkey classic about 10 years ago when the crowds were pretty light. Saw a guy had home made synthetic strikers for sale for $5 and bought two. Liked then because they were about 50% shorter than your average striker and I figured they'd store better in my vest and he said they worked awesome wet.

Let me tell you I wish i had bought 5 or 6. I have no idea what they are made out of but they are very short and work better than absolutely any other striker synthetic, wood metal you name it I've ever tried and require almost zero effort to produce excellent sounds especially clucks and purrs.

I must have 30 other different strikers in my turkey call bin but I end up using this one 99% of my hunts it works that much better and the turkeys like it that much better and its been like that on every surface call I own, glass, copper, brass, ceramic and slate.
Can not tell you how many times I first tried a different striker and got no response, pull out my no name go-to striker and BAM game on get a gobble.

Browning87

I got a walnut ceramic over glass from twyatt on here. Tony Ezolt (EZ) turned me on to one after messing around with his I knew I had to have it. I carried it all last season and plan to again this year. It's all turkey!!

PennBirdy

Don't forget Chris Brumfiel and his wet weather pot! I bought one for its intended purpose, but after running it with a variety of strikers, it will be riding along more often than not!

fordhunt

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 07, 2022, 03:00:33 PM
Quote from: GunRunner on January 07, 2022, 02:42:58 PM
Humidity is almost always an issue where I hunt in coastal Georgia and South Carolina. The high humidity impacts the sound quality of my slate pot calls even on the driest mornings. They sound great indoors but outdoors they loose that sharp clean sound when the porous slate surface picks up the moisture. One of my buddies suggested trying a ceramic pot call to avoid this. Another even suggested that I run a cigarette lighter flame over the slate surface to dry it out before calling (not so sure about that one ??)

Do you guys agree that ceramic call tones are better in high humidity environments?  If so, can you please recommend a custom ceramic pot call?

Thanks,

GunRunner
  :turkey:
I used ceramic pot's and what i do on those type of morning is use handwarmer's to keep my pot's warm, i never use a lighter on the surface of my pot's .. You will learn handwarmer's are one of your best friends and easy to carry in bag or vest.. I carry Glenda Green satchel ...
I would like to find some of that really dark ceramic

Harty

Quote from: fordhunt on March 13, 2022, 08:15:26 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on January 07, 2022, 03:00:33 PM
Quote from: GunRunner on January 07, 2022, 02:42:58 PM
Humidity is almost always an issue where I hunt in coastal Georgia and South Carolina. The high humidity impacts the sound quality of my slate pot calls even on the driest mornings. They sound great indoors but outdoors they loose that sharp clean sound when the porous slate surface picks up the moisture. One of my buddies suggested trying a ceramic pot call to avoid this. Another even suggested that I run a cigarette lighter flame over the slate surface to dry it out before calling (not so sure about that one ??)

Do you guys agree that ceramic call tones are better in high humidity environments?  If so, can you please recommend a custom ceramic pot call?

Thanks,

GunRunner
  :turkey:
I used ceramic pot's and what i do on those type of morning is use handwarmer's to keep my pot's warm, i never use a lighter on the surface of my pot's .. You will learn handwarmer's are one of your best friends and easy to carry in bag or vest.. I carry Glenda Green satchel ...
I would like to find some of that really dark ceramic

I believe Mike yingling has some. He has a post with the darker ceramic in a canary pot

ElkTurkMan

I hunt in GA mostly and humidity can be an issue.  I have a ceramic pot by Moye Howard of Dead Bird Walking calls and it does well in all conditions.