OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Very interesting read

Started by Gentry, December 20, 2021, 01:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

It isn't just restricted to hunting. Our whole society has begun rotting from the inside out, and has been for some time. We will continue this downward slide till we hit rock bottom, then people will look around and exclaim, "how did this happen?"

Which Gun

Social media, Social media,  I don't have facebook, twitter or instagram I don't see the need for any of it. If I want you to know something I'll call you or text you.  BUT if you want to use those things your right to do so. It's all about people wanting to be famous in my mind. Look how reality TV has taken off I don't care to watch it either but have looked at some shows to see what it's about. Big Brother all about back stabbing your fellow man to get ahead to win some money.  Fear Factor. Let's see how much we can pay peasants to eat the most ridiculous things.  Other shows showing nothing but drama who wants friends like that.  No different then actors or singers becoming famous. Getting all the fame that comes with it. Social Media people wanting the same fame. Alex Baldwins fame keeping him from murder charges at this point. YOU or I be locked up for pointing an empty gun at someone and pulling the trigger that killed someone.

Someone put up early not riding your deer around in view of the public not to offend anyone screw that
Ride it around and be proud of your accomplishment.  Anti hunters don't need fuel there anti regardless. 
If two men can run around in public kissing I can ride around my deer proudly.

The states don't care how many people show up in there state to hunt as long as they're making money everything is about money.  How many states has sold turkeys to other states for profit!!!! But won't relocate in the state to less populated areas no money to be made. 

That's some of my views on this. If you don't see it that way you are your own person have your on views but don't complain about mine I won't complain about yours.

eggshell

Quote from: the Ward on December 24, 2021, 06:39:19 AM
It isn't just restricted to hunting. Our whole society has begun rotting from the inside out, and has been for some time. We will continue this downward slide till we hit rock bottom, then people will look around and exclaim, "how did this happen?"

I just noticed this post today and I found the article a good read. In the end I agree with Ward ( I had to chuckle because I think we have had some disagreements to, but truth is truth). I honestly don't know how to respond. I agree with the idea of humility and loving the sport for the honor it brings a great outdoors. I also understand a reasonable pride in the fruits of one's efforts afield. Yet I have always had a disdain for obsessive braggarts (even self-loafing when I fall into the trap). I have found that many of the look-at-me hunters are actually suffering from low self-esteem and need social reinforcement. The other pool are somewhat narcissistic and just want glorified, they even mask it with false humility. Some people just like sharing for the sake of sharing and the thought it will be enjoyable to others.  The braggarts have always existed, they just found a bigger platform.

Does this actually do an irrevocable damage to hunting....I am not sure. That is why I agree with Ward, the same complaints apply to almost all of society and everything we do anymore. The fact is there are more people and less resource all the time. In the end I do not think social media, like facebbok and instagram,  are good for conservation, but I am not sure they are the doom of it either. Here is a question:  If we feel it is all bad are we feeding the beast by participating on Old Gobbler ?  Is it wrong to post kills here as well. I have made some very good friends through social media I would have never known without it and I have benefited from it. I think it has also caused me some grief, but in all my life I have not found the perfect world, I think it's called Heaven and it ain't on earth. In the mean time discussion is one of the most important  tools. So this article serves a purpose in that it makes us think about what we are doing. Old age brings a lot of humility to the camp fire and the old sage has learned there are less inquisitions when you mumble areply like, "naww only saw one small one". The questioner then knows better then to ask any further. These old sages have went through the stages and filled the photo albums, puffed the chest out and hung the trophies and now they have finally come to the place every trip afield is a blessing and there is way more peace in stopping to smell the roses then to trample them in pursuit of glory

aclawrence

There's a post on Rokslide about this that has probably over 1k replies at this point. Lots of opinions. Matt is responding to some of them over there but I'm not following along to closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joey46

It is an interesting read.  I'm now at the age were I don't worry how hunting will be ten years from now.  The younger hunters should be concerned however.  I do enjoy most episodes of the Meateater shows and actually have bookmarked one turkey hunt that takes place on Montana public land that they don't pinpoint too much and explain why.  I believe Matt takes two jakes.  To each his own regarding social media.  It's here to stay.  Merry Christmas.

jb1069

Great great article until at the end it said "follow Matt" That's social media. Don't look at the other guys pictures and articles. "Look at Mine"

silvestris

Agree, the main problems are the "new breeds" And the immense numbers of them.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

HillclimberWV

It always amazes me that peoples answers to reducing crowding on public lands is to limit hunters instead of pushing to make more public lands. If states make more money off of public land and its hunting its a clear insentive to add more public access. This can be done by subsidizing farmers and land owners to shelare their land and wildlife. This isnt accomplished by attacking other hunters instead you have to band together and influence the politicians and money always talks.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

rifleman

Most of what he says is true and worth considering.  I do not put any pics or "look at me stuff" on the computer.  This bought to mind a young guy in the hunt club I belong to.  Last fall and previous falls he puts up pictures of the deer that he and his young son shoot.  He was upset with me about another topic and asked why when I see his kills on FB that I don't congratulate him.  Now doesn't that just speak to this article when the author posted that he was doing it to brag and be told what a good hunter he is?  My brother and I do quite well but we don't display anything publically.  To do so would make me feel like the author.  I don't care who knows or does not know.  I hunt for the fun of it and the food that I harvest.  Then again I am old and not really part of the "look at me" crowd.  The "look at me" crowd is all to evident in all activities today.

Paulmyr

If a tree falls in the woods and I don't get the video will I still get the likes?
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Yelpster

Get on board with my New Year No Post Challenge. Keep on hunting, but post nothing in 2022. This will prove you've moved past the attention-seeking toddler stage in your development as a hunter and now go afield for mature reasons. More importantly than proving it to others, you'll prove it to yourself. Is hunting still fun without the likes?

this is right on

g8rvet

I think hanging mounted trophies in your house is odd.  Does not mean I care what others do.  This dude brings up some good points, but none of them really affect me much.  There is enough hypocrisy to go around for everyone. A forum is a form of social media. We are discussing and being social.  Does it matter if you post pictures of yourself on the FaceSpace or if you hang out on a forum and tell everyone your way is the best and their way is wrong?  Market hunters were just responding to public demand for ducks and making a buck at the cost of conservation and they are reviled.  Sounds like Social Media warriors to me - mostly the ones that brag about public land birds and then monetize their hunt by likes and shares and selling stuff.  Not much different than shilling gear by making a TV show and having sponsors.  I feel the problem is the whole "get mine" attitude that is sadly pervasive in today's society.  I think Social Media is a symptom, not the disease.  Lack of ethics, lack of mentoring (can't judge noobs if you are not helping some), lack of consideration all play factors. I ain't got the answers, but all of it saddens me.

The one thing that I think is most detrimental is hard core hunters not sticking together based on small differences in hunting method, hunting location and hunting style.  And I acknowledge I am as guilty of some of these sins as the next guy, they are just different sins. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Happy

Like mentioned before I agree with a lot of it but also disagree with a little of it. OG is a form of social media albeit not nearly as popular as others. I like seeing people who are successful and just want to share with their friends, however when it crosses over to a look at me,attention craving, moneymaking sideshow I cringe. I am all for fun and storytelling however I don't feel it should to be done to feed someone's sense of self worth or wallet.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

rifleman

g8rvet

Happy just summed up my feelings nicely.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.