OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hunts Or Stories  (Read 2406 times)

Offline culpeper

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Hunts Or Stories
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 02:50:15 PM »
Yep, the story telling is one of the best parts of the hunting experience.  Sitting around the camp after everybody returns from the days hunt, and listening to the stories from each member of our group is as much of the ritual as the hunts themselves. With a good beverage in hand, some of the stories can last as long as the hunts themselves did. 

Good story telling is an art unto itself.  One must understand the need and timing of the proper embellishments in recounting a hunt.  After all these years, I will humbly state that I have reached a skill level in the telling of the tale that is somewhat legendary among my contemporaries.  ...Humbly stated, of course.  ;D ;) :angel9:

Re: your 2nd paragraph....Of this I have no doubt! ;) ;D  But then I have a tendency to join that humble humility as well. ;)

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 02:54:20 PM »
Yep, the story telling is one of the best parts of the hunting experience.  Sitting around the camp after everybody returns from the days hunt, and listening to the stories from each member of our group is as much of the ritual as the hunts themselves. With a good beverage in hand, some of the stories can last as long as the hunts themselves did. 

Good story telling is an art unto itself.  One must understand the need and timing of the proper embellishments in recounting a hunt.  After all these years, I will humbly state that I have reached a skill level in the telling of the tale that is somewhat legendary among my contemporaries.  ...Humbly stated, of course.  ;D ;) :angel9:

Re: your 2nd paragraph....Of this I have no doubt! ;) ;D  But then I have a tendency to join that humble humility as well. ;)

You know what they say,..."birds of a feather" and all.  I suspect there are a couple of others who have contributed to this thread that fall into that same category....   ;) ;D

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 03:40:24 PM »
well, now let me just make a little observation....when a man's avatar is the butt of some critter with a face transplanted on it, why on earth would you not suspect something about his story telling ability?

Then there's the trip to Ky a buddy and myself took about 20 years ago. We were about mid state, this is an important point.

We had struck out on our morning and headed back to camp when we decide to stop at a pull off in the national forest. One series of calls and GOBBBBBBLLLLEEEE the old bird responded. We grab our guns and headed over the bank, but only to the first bench, because he wasn't far out that bench. I set up high and my buddy wide in case he circled. A few calls and there old long beard was slipping along the bench. Dang every time he stopped he was behind a tree, so I let him walk and head towards my buddy. Finally he stopped and I had a long shot and was debating when boom my buddy shoots. I am what the heck that's a long ways dude. Yup. old long beard was on his feet and headed over the bank on a run. Now you have to know my buddy, his nick name is a Indian moniker (I won't say it in respect to social politeness). to believe what happens next. He takes off on a dead run in pursuit down the mountain. I swear this dude could have been an Olympian if you could ever get him out of the woods. I didn't even try following up. So I sit down and wait, I knew this would be no short ordeal. About a half hr later I hear a shot almost out of hearing. An hour later here comes my buddy up the mountain, gobbler over his shoulder. I had no doubt he'd run it down. He collapses and says, "man what a chase". I asked him how far he chased the gobbler and he said, well when I saw that sign that said welcome to Tennessee I hesitated, but then I cut around him and chased him back into Ky, where I could shoot him legal. This morning doesn't end there. we drive down the road and meet my local buddy and he says he completely struck out on a trail down the road, but had heard birds there before season. So I made the smart remark that we'd stop and kill one there and he laughed and said help yourself. So we stop and sure enough a bird answers 150 yards down the trail. We bail out and head in, when I look up and this gobbler is sprinting right at us. Dumb arse didn't even see us until he was 30 yards and I yelled hold it right there and he stopped and popped up his head which instantly took a load of #5 shot. So we just had to drive to that guy's place and show him the bird. Of course he wouldn't believe us, but the next day he saw the feathers in the trail.

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 07:26:35 PM »
I personally find just casually mentioning that I once called in a turkey and killed it to be enough to have all who know me call bs. I am incredibly good looking though so I have that I guess.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 08:26:19 PM »
The older I get, the tougher it is to fall asleep. I now find myself re-living my turkey hunts when I can’t fall asleep. This almost always works. I will never forget the turkey hunts I experienced, I enjoy sharing them with anyone that will take the time to listen. I my world, reliving and telling the stories is equally as good as the hunts themselves…… Life depends on building and re-living great memories through photos and videos. It is our only way to remember and recall the past……..Be safe.
“Solo hunter”

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 10:45:16 PM »
I personally find just casually mentioning that I once called in a turkey and killed it to be enough to have all who know me call bs. I am incredibly good looking though so I have that I guess.

I am guessing our definitions of "incredibly good looking" may be a tad different...but that is admittedly a good start towards embellishing a huntin' story...   :toothy12: :toothy9:

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2021, 06:17:26 AM »

I am guessing our definitions of "incredibly good looking" may be a tad different...but that is admittedly a good start towards embellishing a huntin' story...   :toothy12: :toothy9:
I really hope that they are! Years ago I had a boss that would greet me when I showed up on the jobsite with a G$#%^^%mn your F^!^%$@in ugly. I would just cheerfully tell him good morning. After a few weeks he remarked " my morning insults don't bother you at all do they?" "Not at all" I told him. " I would be more concerned if you kept telling me how pretty I looked."

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2021, 08:15:14 AM »

I’m thinking it’s all relative based on your eye wear prescriptions, and wether the lights are on or off. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2021, 09:29:41 AM »
’m thinking it’s all relative based on your eye wear prescriptions, and wether the lights are on or off. 

So, is it a bad sign if your wife takes her glasses off and wants the lights off all the time?

Please remember I am an emotionally fragile guy.

That reminds me of a story:

One day the game warden was checking spring squirrel hunters. He sees this guy sneeking around and jumping out from behind trees and then picking up a dead squirrel. He thought, "what the hell", so he approached the guy. Upon investigating he finds the guy only has one more squirrel for a limit, but he has no gun. He asked where is your gun and they guy says, "I hain't got any", "i is uglying them". The warden asked what the hell is uglying? The guy says, "watch this". He sneaks up to a hickory tree, jumps out and makes a face and down comes a squirrel. The warden is amazed and says, "you think I can do that and the hillbilly says, "Naw yourin too purity in them fancy duds". The warden is just astounded and tells the guy he's amazed and never in all his years has he seen this. The Hillbilly replies, " aww shucks I hain't even good at it, my wife can kill em at long range". The warden asked why she isn't hunting today and the guy laughs out loud and said, "I won't let her, these young spring squirrels are tender and she tears them up to bad".

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 10:16:45 AM »
Well that explains why the wife takes the paper bag option at the grocery store I guess. Thanks fellows, you sure know how to ruin a guys day. All these guys running around a pushin' and shovin' to be the greatest turkey killer known to man and I just can't compete there. So I think I find a niche and you all stomp all over it. Hope your all happy now.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2021, 10:29:32 AM »
I’m tickled to death :TooFunny:

My Wife has always been very complimentary towards me in front of people.   Just the other day in front of a group of people she made the the comment about how fine I am and what fine hair I have.   She then went on to say that it’s the same kind you fine around a dogs butt. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff